To ReKluse 3.0 or not - Motocross?

FC450
Need some advice/thoughts: Not sure if I should upgrade to the Rekluse 3.0 auto clutch or not? I ride Motocross, but I was recently informed (periodicals) that most of the Factory guys use some-sort-of auto clutch in their bikes?

I have watched numerous videos and after a dirtnap, most of the factory pro's wont even pull in their clutch and the bike doesn't stall; kind of interesting really?

Thanks in advance, but not sure if others have tried it? I can see how the Rekluse is great to trail ride with, as it won't stall in the slow stuff, but not sure about motocross?

Thanks!
|
Paw Paw 271
4/27/2018 4:14pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2018 4:14pm
I use the Rekluse 3.0 for MX in a CRF450R and love it.

Paw Paw
FC450
4/28/2018 4:27am
I use the Rekluse 3.0 for MX in a CRF450R and love it.

Paw Paw
Thanks for the feedback PawPaw. I would hate the spend the $ but might be worth from what I've been reading. Still a bit undecided. I wish I could test ride one first.

Thanks again.
kb228
4/28/2018 4:38am
The factory guys use normal clutches. They abuse the hell out of them to the point that they need changed between motos.

I have the rekluse zstart pro, and its a total cheater clutch. Bike literally does not stall. Can go like 2mph in 2nd gear or 3rd and it wont shut off.

Not sure about the exp 3, but the zstart is really picky about clutch lever adjustment. If its not right it can be hard to downshift or utilize the manual override.

opyguy
4/28/2018 5:21am
I had a 3.0 on a 350sxf, strictly mx.
I would say it May have been the best mod ever for a 4 stroke...charge into corners, slam brakes and then roll on the throttle, it was amazing. Also great for downhills with a corner st bottom.

The Shop

49weasel
4/28/2018 5:44am
I would say it depends on how aggressive you are. In tight jump/rhythm sections I could notice a slight hesitation and didn’t like it. According to Rekluse Jimmy Albertson was the only pro to use their auto clutch and a lot of teams run their manual clutch.

On another note , Rekluse’s customer service is second to none. Unbelievable customer service.
RussB
Fantasy
1164th
4/28/2018 7:29am
If you do decide to go for an auto clutch, get a full kit.
I cheaped out and just bought an EXP disc (not the full system) and although it worked really well, the way you have to set the clutch lever up is horrible for starts. The lever has 0 play and is under constant tension, until the engine revs and then it frees up. You can also feel the lever going tight/slack in the corners as you are on and off the throttle. Doesn't bother me at all in Enduros but didn't like it on a motocross track.
The full kits work differently so you wont experience this issue (pretty sure anyway?). So if I were to get another Rekluse set up, I'd buy a complete package.

The advantages are great.... no stalling, can be as aggressive as you want on the rear brake, you can be super lazy with your gears and is a definite advantage in low grip situations.
However I do agree with 49weasel, there is a delay between throttle and the rear wheel where the clutch isn't engaged. Hard to explain but I think you get used to it after a couple days riding on the auto set up.
CSAR FE
4/28/2018 8:31am
I wasn’t a fan on the track. If you need to hit a jump that is almost immediately right outside the exit of a corner and you aren’t being aggressive enough or dicked up your entry, the “delay between the throttle and the rear wheel” that RussB mentioned can get you in trouble. Just my experience. Going back to a manual clutch, I prefer it to the Rekluse because there is no slippage to worry about. You can adjust the EXP disc for when it engages by changing out springs or getting heavier wedges from Rekluse if you find this to be an issue.
FFDan
4/30/2018 9:19am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2018 9:24am
If you are doing going to Rekluse do it right and get the CX (the whole kit). I know it is pricey but I absolutely love this thing. I have a 2017 KX 450, and I am an older MX rider (46), out to have a good time, not to prove anything. Install was a breeze and break in was a easy/fast. I did manage to stall the bike a couple times at break in. I think due to hammering the brakes right after hard on the gas. I havent had this problem since break in, but I have had a couple of backfires which makes me think the clutch is not quite disengaged when I go hard on the brakes for a tight corner after a longer straight or a fast steep down hill.

How it helped me. I was finding the engine breaking on the 450 was really messing with the style Im used too, always had 2 strokes and this is my 1st 4 stroke. A ton of engine braking had me moving way forward then hard on the gas had me hanging on for dear life, only to off the throttle was throwing me forward again. Not the smooth way around the track, obviously. Now I can ride in a gear higher which eliminates that jerky back and forth feeling especially in the real gnarly rough stuff. I find that being in a gear taller helps my cornering as I can roll on the throttle let the clutch and the torque of the bike work in my favor. The complaint I did hear a lot of was no engine breaking at idle while going down a steep hill. This is true, but a down shift or a blip of the throttle will keep the clutch engaged and I still have the engine braking. If you have a bunch of braking bumps at the bottom of the hill then obviously its brake control and body positioning anyway. As for a delay from twisting the throttle to the rear wheel, I dont feel it at all. But, like I said earlier I am an older vet rider, if there is a big gnarly jump right after a corner that has to be hit with precision and lots of speed Im either just hopping up on it or Im rolling it.
slothy
5/1/2018 7:09am Edited Date/Time 5/1/2018 7:12am
the people who said they didn't like it, did you play with changing the springs or wedges at all for a harder/quicker engagement ? for woods i love mine on my 350 no more flame outs....

Post a reply to: To ReKluse 3.0 or not - Motocross?

The Latest