Tire changing help

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2021 12:13 PM

Been riding 25+ years, and have my 8 and 13 year old sons racing/riding now. So always having to change tires.

Over the years I’ve changed a lot with little success. Takes me for ever, then usually pinch the tube.

Tried the Baja no pinch probably 5 years ago and still sucked and gave up.

Been asking/ paying people to change my tires for the past 5 years without even trying any more to do it my self. Usually someone does it for free, or I pay someone $20 at the track, seemed worth it.

Today I had a shop change a flat, and put a new tube in outside a riding center. Cost me $69 with the tube!!!

So considering trying to get this tire changing thing down, and maybe actually learn it.

What are the best devices out there right now? Would someone who sucks be able to actually use the rabaconda like the video? I’d easily pay $400 if I could change tires like the video. Would pay for itself quick.

|

8/6/2021 5:50 PM

Buy:
3 short “spoon” levers
1 “Bead Buddy”
1 stand (or metal trash can, with garden hose around the edge.)

Watch this video (and part 2) until you look forward to changing tires.

Thank me.

|

8/6/2021 7:54 PM

Check out jay Clark on dirtbiketv. His tips changed my life. I used to hate changing tires and took them to my local shop. Anymore it’s one of my preferred tasks when working on a bike. Now it takes me less than 15 mins to peel off an old tire, replace tube and spoon on new tire and I haven’t feared that I’ve pinched a tube for a very long time.

|

8/6/2021 8:58 PM

The biggest help for me was using 3 spoons instead of 2, and repeatedly pushing the bead towards the center of the rim on both sides of the tire after every bite you take with a spoon. It’s not hard at all

|

8/6/2021 11:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2021 8:04 AM

If this helps ... (and some will say it's overkill and downvote, but it works well for me)

Here's what I have arrived at that is effecient, effective, and doesn't damage wheels or tires/tubes:
(1) I learned from and refer back to the below Dunlop tire tech video
(2) 1 quality tire changing stand
(3) 2 GIANT tire irons (Terry Cable specifically). Extra Llleverage is hugely helpful.
(4) 3 Motion Pro spoon-type tire irons (yes 3 - to hold the tire down as I spoon around with the Terry Cable spoons)
(5) 2 sets of Motion Pro Rimshield IIs, they do eliminate rim scratches
(6) 1 Motion Pro Bead Buddy II
(7) Murphy's tire and tube mounting compound - I put a kitchen sponge in the bucket as my applicator --- this stuff, the tire changing stand, and the Terry Cable tire irons are what made me not hate tire changing anymore --- GAME CHANGERS
(8) 1 good valve stem pulling tool
(9) mechanics gloves
(10) baby powder to reduce tube/tire friction
(11) if time and weather permit, I soften rear tires up in the sun to make things easier - including the tire to be dismounted

Here are links to the above video mention and products if you're interested:
(1)

(2)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-adjustable-height-motorcycle-tire-changing-stand-p
(3)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/terry-cable-mighty-tire-iron-p
(4)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/motion-pro-spoon-type-tire-iron-p
(5)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/motion-pro-rimshield-ii-p
(6)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/motion-pro-bead-buddy-ii-motorcycle-tire-tool-p
(7)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ZPFP18G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
(8)
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-valve-stem-puller-p
|

Contact me at: VitalMX123@outlook.com

8/7/2021 8:13 AM

All the above is good info, a good stand was the big difference maker for me. I was at Thunder Valley national race a few years back and watched the Dunlop guys change tires after practice for about an hour. Most of the Dunlop mechanics were using the MRP stand. I bought one from Mike and love it! It’s well built and made by Mike himself, many teams have his stand in their rig. Here is a link:

http://mikesracingproducts.com/

|

8/7/2021 9:58 AM

Agree with all the above and will add- set the tires in the sun to get them warm and soft. Lots of Tire mounting lube or soap on the bead and baby powder for the tube. And finally, take smaller bites with the tire irons.

|

8/7/2021 12:04 PM

In the beginning I wasn’t that good at changing tires. I put the 2 tires in the sun, a warm tire is much easier to change. I spray the bead with wd40, Napa tire conditioner deluted works great to. Put a towel on the ground and peal tire off. Then I spray the whole tube with wd40 and the bead again. Put 1 side of tire on, then install the tube. I use 2 tire irons, pump tire up. If bead is not uniform on the rim, I bounce the tire. If that don’t work I let air out and air up again. Takes me 5 min tire off and on. Always hv a spare tube, just in case. These are 125 size tires there easy.

|

8/9/2021 3:02 PM

If you are pinching tubes (like I used to 80% of the time,) odds are really good you are missing the one "must do" step during the process: get the tire off the bead and down into the valley on the opposite side. (Where the spoke nipples are.)
Since the tire is round and so is the rim, the only slack you can spare comes from moving the tire off-center toward the spot where you are working. Put the tire way down into the spoke channel on the other side, so that the rim almost meets the knobs.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

8/10/2021 8:36 AM

Like anything, the more you do it, the better you will get. I use a good sturdy 5 gallon bucket, lots of soapy water, 2 motion pro spoons and I have the big tusk lever. Use your gut and forearms holding the bead down while mounting the opposite side. Not worrying about scratching the rims helps too✌

|

8/10/2021 11:48 AM

FWYT wrote:

Agree with all the above and will add- set the tires in the sun to get them warm and soft. Lots of Tire mounting lube or soap ...more

What he said, these are my "secrets" as well.

|

8/10/2021 4:53 PM

I’ve always been told if you have to rely on leverage you’re doing it wrong. It’s proven true for me. Also never pull the irons past 90 degrees. By no means iron clad rule, but I try to do that and then use the heel of my hand to knock the bead down into the rim. Generally if it’s fighting you, make sure both beads are in the drop center

|

RPM Performance
CT

8/11/2021 1:57 AM

Get legit lube. I have stopped using soapy water for 4 tires now. I use the Yamalube tire changing lube. I apply it once on the bead and a touch on the rim. MUCH easier. That and smaller bites with bead in drop center. Now I just despise cleaning air filters

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

8/11/2021 9:20 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

Check out jay Clark on dirtbiketv. His tips changed my life. I used to hate changing tires and took them to my local shop. ...more

Seriously. I bought the right tools, watched Jays video on youtube and haven't had a problem since, that was years ago!

|

8/13/2021 12:03 PM

jamiechapman418 wrote:

Check out jay Clark on dirtbiketv. His tips changed my life. I used to hate changing tires and took them to my local shop. ...more

seth505 wrote:

Seriously. I bought the right tools, watched Jays video on youtube and haven't had a problem since, that was years ago!

Yup, I used to type out instructions until I caught on of Jay's vids and he lines it out so well. Great tips on changing tires and a ton of other stuff as well. One of the best IG pages...........

|

8/13/2021 1:36 PM

RoosDad wrote:

All the above is good info, a good stand was the big difference maker for me. I was at Thunder Valley national race a few ...more

I have one of these and it works great. I still hate changing tires, just not as much as before the stand, actual tire irons, and a bead buddy.

Plenty of lube also helps...

|

8/13/2021 3:56 PM

All good advice above. I sucked, then like anything, it just clicked(you and your hands, not the tire😂) so this means you can if i can lol. get the right tools,the sun is your friend and good music👍

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.