Tire Mounting and Take off

LuiesMaes
Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 3:47pm
Whats up fellas, I have a hell of a time taking off and putting on new tires. Ive watched every video on YOUTUBE. Ive tried all the tricks like using baby powder, using a water and soap mixture but I still pop the tube taking off the tire and then pop the new tube putting the new tire on, Last tire I changed, I popped the tube taking it off and 2 brand new tubes putting the new tire on. Ive done that on atleast 3 different wheel changes.
I m using two spoons and no tire stand.

What tools and stands do you all recommend and is it worth getting wheel lube? Any tips and tricks would be great.
|
Huskyboy95
3/15/2021 5:45pm
This is on my wish list, find it on YouTube and watch the video. We will pinch tubes. I’d recommend keeping stands no tubes on hand. It’s not as messy as slime, and it works in a pinch
spimx
3/15/2021 7:51pm
baja no pinch also get a bead buddy tire tool and then make sure you break the bead on both sides of the rim opposite of the side you are working and them make sure you use some kind of soap to lube the rim before start working. You can get some long Chinese tire irons from harbor freight for cheep.

make sure the rim is clean and place a new strip of duct tape for every tire change then put some baby powder in the rim to prevent friction of the tube and tire.

you also want to put on some heavy metal to get you amped up and it also helps to get quite hammered during the process.
Rider 5280
3/15/2021 10:39pm
I've got the Baja No Pinch kit I'll sell. New, never used! I don't need it for the gummy tires I am spooning on the days.
FWYT
3/15/2021 10:45pm
Few things come to mind- set your tires in the sun or somewhere hot so they get softer. Plenty of baby powder and soapy water. (actually, I just soak a sponge with dish soap and run that around the beads.) Make sure the bead is sunk into the well of the rim so you get maximum slack on the opposite side and take smaller bites with the tire spoons. Use a 5 gallon bucket as a stand; works great!! As mentioned, get a Bead Buddy. They are cheap and they work. Make sure your tire spoons have no sharp edges.

The Shop

3/16/2021 5:20am
Take tiny bites with your levers meaning like every 2 inches of the bead. It's easier on the tire, easier on you and less chance of pinches.
Putting the last bead on, don't push way down on the lever into the tire. That just creates a pinch point between the tip of the spoon and the inside of the rim. You shouldnt need to push the lever much past 90 degrees to the plane of the rim to get the bead to slip into the rim.
I like the 16" curved tire irons from motion pro or any of the similar knockoffs.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
3/16/2021 6:53am
Everything these guys said.. and also you need a minimum of 3 levers. Three makes it much easier to get the initial start.

Most people like doing the "tube partially inflated" for the instal. I almost always get the tube completely flat, like the way they come folded in the box, powder it good, and then get it to lay flat all the way in the back of the tire. That way it is no where near the rim or the rim lock to get pinched when you put the 2nd bead on.

I don't have the Baja tool but it seems guys with shitty tire luck have great success with them.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
3/16/2021 9:05am
My input: I switched to a tire paste to rub on the bead area and it has definitely helped me not mark up black wheels like I used to. Also be SURE you are pushing the bead off the lip of the rim to the center before you start wrenching on/wrecking the bead with a lever. Also agree on having 3 levers. Lastly, the bead buddy for mounting is great.

I just use a normal/old school tire change stand. I tape foam onto the top where the spokes sit on it so I don't mark them up.
mustard530
Fantasy
2627th
3/16/2021 9:06am
Make sure when you put the spoons in you pull them back so that the lip on the spoon is kinda hooked on the rim. Having them too far into the tire will pinch the tube when you take off/ put on the tire.
3/16/2021 11:50am
Baja No Pinch, Bead Buddy, Baby Powder in the tire and on the tube and a little bead lube and you will enjoy changing tires !!!!!
Tuplis
3/16/2021 12:06pm
Own body weight, brute force, three small levers, lots of soapy water, valve puller tool

I was too gentle at first
Tracktor
3/16/2021 2:32pm
Search - I've posted a step by step on here before. I don't mind doing tires & have it down to a pretty solid system. I do them at track for people all of the time. The biggest tip is know what a "Drop Center" is and how to use it.

2 good tire irons
Bead Buddy
Valve stem tool
WD_40 or bead lube

Is all you need for tire changes under 10 minutes...........
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
3/16/2021 3:09pm
Most of my tire changing troubles went away when I learned the "valley" method. Tracktor referenced it with "Drop center," I think.
The trick is to make sure the tire is waaaay down in the valley where your spoke nipples rest, on the opposite side from where you are working. You are not trying to get the tire on the bead when installing it; you are only trying to get the tire up over the lip of the rim. It helps immensely to allow the tire to move a smidgen in your direction by putting it down in the "valley" on the other side.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
3/17/2021 10:37pm
Rider 5280 wrote:
I've got the Baja No Pinch kit I'll sell. New, never used! I don't need it for the gummy tires I am spooning on the days.
PM sent
sandman768
3/18/2021 6:31am
Make sure you put some air in the tube before you attempt to get the final bead on...3 irons, soapy water, tire in the “valley” of the rim...heated tire is your friend...
3/18/2021 7:33am
Changing tires is the worst, I will clean everybody’s air filters if you change my tires
murph783
3/18/2021 8:15am
2 of these

1 of these

1 of these
And a whole shitload of this
Honestly the brush on lube works better but that yamalube shit is good in a pinch. Pull your valve core all the way out. Just do it a million times honestly.
Oh and as an added bonus these things are nice to keep from busting your knuckles pulling the valve stem through the rim.
LuiesMaes
3/18/2021 8:16am
3 irons seems key, I’ve only been using 2 and they’re the long ones from HF.
Moto520
3/18/2021 8:19am
Some tires are harder to mount than others. Get the tire paste. spray the tube with WD40 so that it falls into it's proper space. Use the "Bead Buddy" from Motion Pro. Make sure you are using tubes with 3MM thickness. Get the new tire as warm as possible. Use 3 tire irons and work carefully.....feel where the tube is with your fingers.
LuiesMaes
3/18/2021 2:18pm
For valve puller, I just use the cap off the inner tube. It has a puller on it.

Is there a difference ?
murph783
3/18/2021 2:26pm
LuiesMaes wrote:

Is there a difference ?
So the one I posted has a little chain, you thread it into the stem once you’ve pulled the core, it allows you to pull the stem right into the hole in the rim
Huskyboy95
3/18/2021 3:14pm
I would just like to reiterate with some of the other guy said, a front tire is pretty easy, compared to a rear. Heat is really your friend the warmer that tire is the easy and more pliable it will be to get on the rim. An old trick we used to use on cold days was to open the hood on your truck if your engine is hot lead a tire on top your engine and gently close the hood and leave it there for a while it’ll help you get a good warm so it goes on the rim easier. Good luck
LuiesMaes
3/18/2021 3:59pm
LuiesMaes wrote:

Is there a difference ?
murph783 wrote:
So the one I posted has a little chain, you thread it into the stem once you’ve pulled the core, it allows you to pull the...
So the one I posted has a little chain, you thread it into the stem once you’ve pulled the core, it allows you to pull the stem right into the hole in the rim
Thats a game changer. I am definitely going to order that .

No more smashing my fingers trying to get that stem into the rim.
LuiesMaes
3/18/2021 4:06pm
Huskyboy95 wrote:
I would just like to reiterate with some of the other guy said, a front tire is pretty easy, compared to a rear. Heat is really...
I would just like to reiterate with some of the other guy said, a front tire is pretty easy, compared to a rear. Heat is really your friend the warmer that tire is the easy and more pliable it will be to get on the rim. An old trick we used to use on cold days was to open the hood on your truck if your engine is hot lead a tire on top your engine and gently close the hood and leave it there for a while it’ll help you get a good warm so it goes on the rim easier. Good luck
Yeah, I've had better luck installing front tires and 110 rears. 120's kill me every time .
Rawly
3/18/2021 8:03pm
Save your knuckles by putting the tube inside the tire as first step of install , then pull the stem and part of the tube out of the tire. Put the stem through the hole in the rim and spin the nut down a bit , then push the tube back in and start mounting the tire.
mwssquad827
3/19/2021 11:11am Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 3:47pm
All the above info is great! As there is more than one way to skin a cat.. only thing I haven’t seen is add a lil air to your tube so you can feel it when you go to take a bite with your tire irons..

5gal bucket
3 moose tire irons
Soapy water/wd40 or whatever lube??
Warm tire in sun
Put air in tube so you can feel the tube with irons...
Small bites
Go rip
murph783
3/19/2021 12:33pm
Oh! And never move the iron past straight up and down was an old tip I got. Once it gets there, use the heel of your hand to push it down into the rim. Or failing that-more lube.
chump6784
3/21/2021 11:03pm
I use motion pro tire spoons and windex as lube. I pretty much then follow the mc superstore instruction video on youtube and up until the other night doing a yz65 tire change I couldn't tell you the last time I pinched a tube.

The most important thing for me is the tire spoons though. The long levers with sharper edges just don't work for me
Crash217
3/22/2021 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/22/2021 12:20pm
One thing I didn't see mentioned that is super important to add IMO.

If you're tire iron is going past 90degrees in relation to the rim, You will pinch the tube. If you have to crank it past 90*, get another smaller bite or bring another iron into that area.

2-3 bead buddies to keep the tire in the drop center.
good irons, free from burs or nicks.
enough air in the tube to make it hold shape.
baby power in the tire
lube/paste of choice on the tire bead.

Small bites, making sure not to grab the tube.

If you're sweating, your technique is off or something isn't seating right. Stand back, take a breath, go over your situation and form.

Some people like to start at valve stem. some people like to start at the rim lock. I like to start at the rim lock, work my way around and finish at the rim lock.

Post a reply to: Tire Mounting and Take off

The Latest