Timing plug help!!

Sploon
I just got my bike out for the season 2006 kawasaki 250f first ride of the year when my day was cut short because my timing plug on my engine cover (92066-0039 PLUG,12X9.1 ) fell out at some point during my ride and got oil everywhere. Now this happened to me last year as well so i just ordered a new OEM plug and thought that would fix my problem. Clearly it did not. The threads on the cover do not look stripped. What do you recommend? Is it okay to use locktite on the plug i keep buying OEM replacement plugs.
|
RyanLester761
3/8/2018 8:25am
I would look for a used ignition cover on Ebay. If the price is right, buy it and put your new plug in it.

Second option is some kind of sealant or loctite as you stated.
Sploon
3/8/2018 9:10am
I would look for a used ignition cover on Ebay. If the price is right, buy it and put your new plug in it. Second option...
I would look for a used ignition cover on Ebay. If the price is right, buy it and put your new plug in it.

Second option is some kind of sealant or loctite as you stated.
You think maybe the ignition cover is just threaded poorly? And is there any down sides to locktite on the plug?
Paw Paw 271
3/8/2018 9:28am
I would not use Loctite on that plug. I would use an RTV sealer.

Paw Paw
RyanLester761
3/8/2018 9:35am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2018 9:37am
I would not use Loctite on that plug. I would use an RTV sealer.

Paw Paw
Agreed. I don't think Loctite would seal the oil from leakinig. Plus, the RTV would fill in the bigger gaps and help hold the plug in- being how the threads are so big.

The Shop

kb228
3/8/2018 9:56am
Im curious as to how it falls out. All i gotta do on my kx250f is barely snug them and they are a bitch to get back out without rounding them. Do you have the oring on it?
Sploon
3/8/2018 6:16pm
kb228 wrote:
Im curious as to how it falls out. All i gotta do on my kx250f is barely snug them and they are a bitch to get...
Im curious as to how it falls out. All i gotta do on my kx250f is barely snug them and they are a bitch to get back out without rounding them. Do you have the oring on it?
Maybe i put the wrong size o ring on last time i just threw a random one i had on since the plugs dont come with one. Is there a partciular size i should be using?
kb228
3/9/2018 1:15am
kb228 wrote:
Im curious as to how it falls out. All i gotta do on my kx250f is barely snug them and they are a bitch to get...
Sploon wrote:
Maybe i put the wrong size o ring on last time i just threw a random one i had on since the plugs dont come with...
Maybe i put the wrong size o ring on last time i just threw a random one i had on since the plugs dont come with one. Is there a partciular size i should be using?
Cant tell you what size it is off the top of my head. Your best bet is to order OEM ones. RM is my first choice for OEM parts.

Post a reply to: Timing plug help!!

The Latest