Ticking noise 2017 KTM 450...need help!

I need some help… As I was riding recently, I noticed a sudden change in the sound of my bike. It has 25 hours on it and has been maintained with regular oil and oil filter changes. Air filter every ride, along with the use of the Motorex oil. First I checked the valve clearance, and it was out of spec on the loose end. I reshimmed the valves and now they are in spec. Also I removed the exhaust and applied ultra copper silicone the sure up the exhaust. And lastly I removed the throttle body and air box just to check for leaks, no leaks were found so I reinstalled it. Oh yeah, I also tried a new plug and gas just in case. Basically I checked everything that is easy. I really don't want to ride it because I had a 450 lock up me in the past, and that is sketchy to say the least.

Here's the video so you guys can hear it:

Is there any way someone could post a video of there Newer KTM 450 idling?

Thanks in advance!
|
Moto520
1/25/2018 12:20pm
I think you are being paranoid. To me it sounds exactly like my bike. They do kind of tick a little. Mine has since I bought it and it's fine.
Giygas
Fantasy
1165th
1/25/2018 12:52pm
Not trying to spook you, but it may be worth breaking it down completely. I have an FC450 that started “ticking” around 7 hours. One day, it just started bogging, like I was out of fuel.

Took it to my dealer and found out the rocker arm completely snapped. Husqvarna/KTM honored fixing it under warranty, saving me about 4.5k. My shop installed a brand new engine.
1/25/2018 1:01pm
Moto520 wrote:
I think you are being paranoid. To me it sounds exactly like my bike. They do kind of tick a little. Mine has since I bought...
I think you are being paranoid. To me it sounds exactly like my bike. They do kind of tick a little. Mine has since I bought it and it's fine.
I hope I'm being paranoid but its weird. Ha. If I hear another one idle and run and it sounds the same then I'll be set. Any chance you want to post a vid of yours idling?
1/25/2018 1:03pm
Giygas wrote:
Not trying to spook you, but it may be worth breaking it down completely. I have an FC450 that started “ticking” around 7 hours. One day...
Not trying to spook you, but it may be worth breaking it down completely. I have an FC450 that started “ticking” around 7 hours. One day, it just started bogging, like I was out of fuel.

Took it to my dealer and found out the rocker arm completely snapped. Husqvarna/KTM honored fixing it under warranty, saving me about 4.5k. My shop installed a brand new engine.
Did yours sounds similar to mine? I reshimmed it and inspected the cam, the rocker shafts and rocker arms and they all looked good. Cam tensioner and chain are good. Bike runs fine as well.

The Shop

MX915
1/25/2018 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 2:34pm
Does it go away if you pull in the clutch lever?

At face value, I don't really hear anything alarming.

Check the video below. Not an SXF, but the motor architecture is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4i0w3fKAqM
1/25/2018 3:10pm
MX915 wrote:
Does it go away if you pull in the clutch lever? At face value, I don't really hear anything alarming. Check the video below. Not an...
Does it go away if you pull in the clutch lever?

At face value, I don't really hear anything alarming.

Check the video below. Not an SXF, but the motor architecture is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4i0w3fKAqM
No, it’s not that noise. It’s a ticking noise... i actually saw every video possible of a Ktm 450 and husky 450 idling. One husky sounds similar but rest don’t sound as noticeable. Thanks for your time though man.
hbdesigns913
1/25/2018 5:21pm
The ticking noise almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Which you said you have checked. I would do a compression check on it, and if it passes then keep riding it.
1/25/2018 5:30pm
The ticking noise almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Which you said you have checked. I would do a compression check on it, and if it...
The ticking noise almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Which you said you have checked. I would do a compression check on it, and if it passes then keep riding it.
Yeah that’s what I thought. It’s a weird one for sure. It’s definitely not compression related because it runs good and starts good. Valves are the only thing I can come up with but I even gave them a look whe. I took the exhaust and intake off. I turned the motor over so they would open, just to make sure they looked ok. I also sprayed throttle body cleaner in there and when you turn the motor it will cause compression so you can see if the valves leak because of the liquid. No leaks... thanks for your time also. I appreciate all you guys giving input. I hope someone can post a video of there bike idling so I can compare.
hbdesigns913
1/25/2018 5:38pm
Sounds like you have covered all the bases. Good luck. Someone will post a video up.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
1/25/2018 7:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2018 7:11pm
HELP! I need to get people to post in circles over a ridiculous scenario! And thank you for your advice and input.

tiy

1/25/2018 7:32pm
kzizok wrote:
HELP! I need to get people to post in circles over a ridiculous scenario! And thank you for your advice and input.

tiy

Not the intention, trying to see if anyone thinks the extra ticking/air noise is the same as other bikes. If not the bike is getting torn apart. But THANKS for the observation.
JB479
1/25/2018 7:52pm
Can’t really help you but I just sold my Ktm 17 450sxf with a 120 hours, it had a similar tick start around the 8 hour mark. But I can’t recall if it was as bad as yours. My valves were never out of spec though. I have a 18 fc450 now, I’ll start it up when I get home and see how it sounds
1/25/2018 8:49pm
JB479 wrote:
Can’t really help you but I just sold my Ktm 17 450sxf with a 120 hours, it had a similar tick start around the 8 hour...
Can’t really help you but I just sold my Ktm 17 450sxf with a 120 hours, it had a similar tick start around the 8 hour mark. But I can’t recall if it was as bad as yours. My valves were never out of spec though. I have a 18 fc450 now, I’ll start it up when I get home and see how it sounds
Hell yeah, if you happen to have the time take a 15 sec vid and post it somewhere. Ha. It seemed to come out of nowhere at about 24 hours. In my opinion there shouldn’t be anything failing at this point unless something is defective. Thanks man!
JB479
1/25/2018 9:54pm
JB479 wrote:
Can’t really help you but I just sold my Ktm 17 450sxf with a 120 hours, it had a similar tick start around the 8 hour...
Hell yeah, if you happen to have the time take a 15 sec vid and post it somewhere. Ha. It seemed to come out of nowhere...
Hell yeah, if you happen to have the time take a 15 sec vid and post it somewhere. Ha. It seemed to come out of nowhere at about 24 hours. In my opinion there shouldn’t be anything failing at this point unless something is defective. Thanks man!
Just messaged u on Facebook with the video. Hopefully it works.
RCF
1/26/2018 3:58am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2018 4:01am
Timing chain tensioners in KTMs are extremely noisy at idle ,you didn't rev the engine in the video , if it's the tensioner the ticking will slowly go away once you apply some gas and oil pressure builds.
1/26/2018 4:43am
RCF wrote:
Timing chain tensioners in KTMs are extremely noisy at idle ,you didn't rev the engine in the video , if it's the tensioner the ticking will...
Timing chain tensioners in KTMs are extremely noisy at idle ,you didn't rev the engine in the video , if it's the tensioner the ticking will slowly go away once you apply some gas and oil pressure builds.
The 450s don’t have the hydraulic tensioner... it’s spring tension with notches to keep it from loosening. Thanks though
1/26/2018 4:44am
JB479 wrote:
I got it but it disappeared after I played it once... weird. Thanks though man. I appreciate it
blackfly53
4/22/2018 6:06pm
Bump for this thread as my bike just started doing the same thing
mingham97
4/23/2018 12:29am
kzizok wrote:

tiy

You are the biggest cunt on this forum hands down
aees
4/23/2018 3:46am
Sounds like the normal one that disappear when you pull in clutch as someone suggested?
Rohr144
4/24/2018 11:36am
kzizok wrote:

tiy

mingham97 wrote:
You are the biggest cunt on this forum hands down
Been wanting to say that for months.
kb228
4/24/2018 12:11pm
Ticking can be worn wrist pin, piston slap, worn tappets, loose valves, worn cam journals, worn cam chain tensioner, worn cam chain. Check all that and get back to us. Had a ticking issue on my 450 and it was loose valves
blackfly53
4/24/2018 2:23pm
Bike has 31hrs on it for reference. I spoke with a dealer tech and he mentioned its rare for that motor to have problems like I was explaining. He said it could be valves or timing chain which makes sense.

3/1/2020 4:59pm
I need some help… As I was riding recently, I noticed a sudden change in the sound of my bike. It has 25 hours on it...
I need some help… As I was riding recently, I noticed a sudden change in the sound of my bike. It has 25 hours on it and has been maintained with regular oil and oil filter changes. Air filter every ride, along with the use of the Motorex oil. First I checked the valve clearance, and it was out of spec on the loose end. I reshimmed the valves and now they are in spec. Also I removed the exhaust and applied ultra copper silicone the sure up the exhaust. And lastly I removed the throttle body and air box just to check for leaks, no leaks were found so I reinstalled it. Oh yeah, I also tried a new plug and gas just in case. Basically I checked everything that is easy. I really don't want to ride it because I had a 450 lock up me in the past, and that is sketchy to say the least.

Here's the video so you guys can hear it:

Is there any way someone could post a video of there Newer KTM 450 idling?

Thanks in advance!
Ever find out what happened? My 2019 450sxf just started and it sounds horrible
3/2/2020 9:24am
blackfly53 wrote:
Did you ever figure out what happened? My 19 450 just started at 12hours and it's so bad I don't even want to start it
aees
3/2/2020 9:33am
blackfly53 wrote:
Did you ever figure out what happened? My 19 450 just started at 12hours and it's so bad I don't even want to start it
Just pull the top cover off and check valves and valve springs. It is 4 bolts and takes 5min incl removing gas tank...
3/2/2020 4:31pm
I actually did figure it out. The ticking wasn’t that bad but it was a combo of ticking and an air noise. I did a leak down test and found air was getting past the valves. The reason was because filter oil was getting sucked from the filter onto the valves and valve seats which didn’t allow the valves to seal. I was using spray filter oil. Luckily I just removed them and used a scotch brite pad and carb cleaner to clean the valves and seats. It got rid of the noise.

I’d say if you want to send a video of the bike via Facebook you can do so. Mine wasn’t very noticeable but i noticed it was different. If yours is so loud you don’t want to start the bike, it could be something much worse. Is it a loud tick or a knock? I don’t want to tell you to start it and somethings gives out... it’s up to you.
joe velna
3/2/2020 7:25pm
A friend of mine had this on his ktm 250 and it turned out to be the cam chain tensioner, but also, ktms naturally knock until you pull in the clutch and it goes away.

Post a reply to: Ticking noise 2017 KTM 450...need help!

The Latest