Tank insert repair

lcgordon711
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 12:54pm
Hi guys got a 89 kx tank for cheap but it has a messed up insert. Somebody jb welded a stud into the messed up hole. My plan is to dig out the jb weld and epoxy a insert back in. Does anybody have any recommendation on what epoxy to run? Or would anybody do anything different. What about trying to melt plastic from like a fender int the hole to close it up a bit?

Thanks
|
Tracktor
1/16/2020 12:49pm
Drain tank & fill partially with water just in case. Remove current mess & clean hole. Find similar plastic and shave small pieces off & use soldering iron to melt/mix with tank plastic until hole is 3/4 or so filled. Heat insert & reinstall making sure it seats square. Done it this way quite a few times & works better than trying to epoxy........
lcgordon711
1/16/2020 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 12:54pm
Tracktor wrote:
Drain tank & fill partially with water just in case. Remove current mess & clean hole. Find similar plastic and shave small pieces off & use...
Drain tank & fill partially with water just in case. Remove current mess & clean hole. Find similar plastic and shave small pieces off & use soldering iron to melt/mix with tank plastic until hole is 3/4 or so filled. Heat insert & reinstall making sure it seats square. Done it this way quite a few times & works better than trying to epoxy........
Awesome thank you. I was kinda thinking this. Would a green fender be similar plastic or is tank plastic and fender plastic different compositions?

Oh and does just your regular soldering iron work or do I need something g special.

Post a reply to: Tank insert repair

The Latest