TTR-50 Hard Starting! Plz Help!

mmain62
Edited Date/Time 12/9/2021 7:32pm
Ok guys I know someone on here has had a ttr-50,so what the heck do I do? I have to spray starting fluid in the air box to get it to fire when its cold. Starting fluid isn't really good on things so I am looking for a way to get this thing to fire off on its own. Its an 09 that wasn't used that much before I bought it so I am just confused. Thanks in advance.
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/20/2018 6:51am
Have you pulled the carb apart, cleaned it and replaced the pilot jet?
mxtech1
3/20/2018 7:35am
pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air.

Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and set the air screw back to stock.

I would be surprised if that doesn't fix it.
mmain62
3/20/2018 7:55am
mxtech1 wrote:
pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air. Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and...

Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and set the air screw back to stock.

I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/20/2018 8:07am
mxtech1 wrote:
pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air. Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and...

mmain62 wrote:
I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?
replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

The Shop

mmain62
3/20/2018 8:25am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold...
replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going
You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/20/2018 8:36am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold...
mmain62 wrote:
You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.
Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha
mmain62
3/20/2018 8:44am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha
Im switching my 2 yr old to our PW50 and using the ttr as a pitter now because the pw starts within a couple kicks and is a little shorter also. The cold starting is killing me haha
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/20/2018 8:47am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
Im switching my 2 yr old to our PW50 and using the ttr as a pitter now because the pw starts within a couple kicks and...
Im switching my 2 yr old to our PW50 and using the ttr as a pitter now because the pw starts within a couple kicks and is a little shorter also. The cold starting is killing me haha
Not a bad idea. My son turns two next month so we are picking up a pw50 for him in the next week or so. Then when he gets bigger and stronger he will graduate to his sisters ttr50. I figure we have a few years on the pdub though!
mmain62
3/20/2018 10:58am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Not a bad idea. My son turns two next month so we are picking up a pw50 for him in the next week or so. Then...
Not a bad idea. My son turns two next month so we are picking up a pw50 for him in the next week or so. Then when he gets bigger and stronger he will graduate to his sisters ttr50. I figure we have a few years on the pdub though!
I love the PW I just ordered an entire top end head and everything for like 33$. If only the top end on my 350 was 33$. jeesh
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
3/20/2018 11:47am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
If it is really cold blooded try going up one size on the pilot. Today's bikes are jetted stupid lean to satisfy emissions crap. If the larger pilot doesn't work, just go back to the stock size.
Braaaphole
3/20/2018 12:32pm
On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.
mmain62
3/20/2018 1:55pm
Braaaphole wrote:
On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half...
On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.
Ill have to try that. Thanks
3/20/2018 5:58pm
Braaaphole wrote:
On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half...
mmain62 wrote:
That little plug is not pressed in there that tight. Just get the drill bit to "bite" into it, and you can wiggle the plug out. Don't go too deep and booger the screw. My dealer had some GYT jet kits for those a while back. I only used the bigger pilot, along with the air screw adjustment. No more grinding on the starter for eternity, and running for 10 minutes on the choke once it started.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/20/2018 6:01pm
Braaaphole wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
That little plug is not pressed in there that tight. Just get the drill bit to "bite" into it, and you can wiggle the plug out...
That little plug is not pressed in there that tight. Just get the drill bit to "bite" into it, and you can wiggle the plug out. Don't go too deep and booger the screw. My dealer had some GYT jet kits for those a while back. I only used the bigger pilot, along with the air screw adjustment. No more grinding on the starter for eternity, and running for 10 minutes on the choke once it started.

Where is the brass plug on the carb? I haven’t really looked at it very much but would love to be able to make those adjustments
Braaaphole
3/20/2018 7:31pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Where is the brass plug on the carb? I haven’t really looked at it very much but would love to be able to make those adjustments
On the left side, right in the general area that an air screw is usually located. You'll see a solid brass piece maybe 5 to 6mm round. It's not hard at all to get out, you just want to ensure you don't drill into the screw that's only a few mm behind it.
mmain62
3/21/2018 4:39am
Looks like the boy and I will be doing some mini bike work in the garage this weekend. Thanks Guys
r.sal923
3/21/2018 12:13pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mmain62 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Just sold a 2015 ttr 125. It was a pain to start.
murph783
3/24/2018 6:16am
Check the valves too, I’ve had em come out of the crate brand new and be too tight. Usually just a hair, but enough that it’ll make it hard to start
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/24/2018 3:04pm
Guys,

TTR’s are fun!
JMMcMac127
3/9/2021 2:26pm
So I have done all mentioned above, still hard to start. Like insanely hard. Any other suggestions, once warmed it runs fine.
kevinr
3/11/2021 10:27am
TTR-125 cold start can be solved by going up one size on the pilot. I went up 2 sizes on the main on my wife's as well and it really helped.
mbw479
12/9/2021 7:32pm
I've had a ttr50, 125 and 230 that all had weird little issues...I still have the ttr 50 which does this as well, jet clean solves it for a while.

I have a CRF50 100 and 150 that won't die and have never had an issue.

Post a reply to: TTR-50 Hard Starting! Plz Help!

The Latest