TTR-50 Hard Starting! Plz Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

3/20/2018 6:22 AM

Ok guys I know someone on here has had a ttr-50,so what the heck do I do? I have to spray starting fluid in the air box to get it to fire when its cold. Starting fluid isn't really good on things so I am looking for a way to get this thing to fire off on its own. Its an 09 that wasn't used that much before I bought it so I am just confused. Thanks in advance.

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 6:51 AM

Have you pulled the carb apart, cleaned it and replaced the pilot jet?

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/20/2018 7:35 AM

pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air.

Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and set the air screw back to stock.

I would be surprised if that doesn't fix it.

|

3/20/2018 7:55 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air.

Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and set the air screw back to stock.

I would be surprised if that doesn't fix it.

I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 8:07 AM

mxtech1 wrote:

pull the carb off and clean all the passages with cleaner and air.

Put a new pilot jet in it (only costs a few bucks) and set the air screw back to stock.

I would be surprised if that doesn't fix it.

mmain62 wrote:

I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?

replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/20/2018 8:25 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 8:36 AM

mmain62 wrote:

I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?

mattyhamz2 wrote:

replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

mmain62 wrote:

You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.

Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/20/2018 8:44 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha

Im switching my 2 yr old to our PW50 and using the ttr as a pitter now because the pw starts within a couple kicks and is a little shorter also. The cold starting is killing me haha

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 8:47 AM

mmain62 wrote:

You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha

mmain62 wrote:

Im switching my 2 yr old to our PW50 and using the ttr as a pitter now because the pw starts within a couple kicks and is a little shorter also. The cold starting is killing me haha

Not a bad idea. My son turns two next month so we are picking up a pw50 for him in the next week or so. Then when he gets bigger and stronger he will graduate to his sisters ttr50. I figure we have a few years on the pdub though!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/20/2018 10:58 AM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Not a bad idea. My son turns two next month so we are picking up a pw50 for him in the next week or so. Then when he gets bigger and stronger he will graduate to his sisters ttr50. I figure we have a few years on the pdub though!

I love the PW I just ordered an entire top end head and everything for like 33$. If only the top end on my 350 was 33$. jeesh

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 11:47 AM

mmain62 wrote:

I haven't done anything yet. Do I replace the pilot with the same size or bigger?

mattyhamz2 wrote:

replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

mmain62 wrote:

You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.

If it is really cold blooded try going up one size on the pilot. Today's bikes are jetted stupid lean to satisfy emissions crap. If the larger pilot doesn't work, just go back to the stock size.

|

3/20/2018 12:32 PM

On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.

|

3/20/2018 1:55 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.

Ill have to try that. Thanks

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/20/2018 5:58 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.

mmain62 wrote:

Ill have to try that. Thanks

That little plug is not pressed in there that tight. Just get the drill bit to "bite" into it, and you can wiggle the plug out. Don't go too deep and booger the screw. My dealer had some GYT jet kits for those a while back. I only used the bigger pilot, along with the air screw adjustment. No more grinding on the starter for eternity, and running for 10 minutes on the choke once it started.Photo

|

3/20/2018 6:01 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

On the carb, they put a brass plug over the air screw. You can carefully drill it out and adjust the air screw out a half turn or so. Makes all the difference in the world on those bikes. We had one and it would take 30 minutes before it would stop bogging and stalling constantly. Adjusted the air screw and it cleaned all of that up.

mmain62 wrote:

Ill have to try that. Thanks

project racer wrote:

That little plug is not pressed in there that tight. Just get the drill bit to "bite" into it, and you can wiggle the plug out. Don't go too deep and booger the screw. My dealer had some GYT jet kits for those a while back. I only used the bigger pilot, along with the air screw adjustment. No more grinding on the starter for eternity, and running for 10 minutes on the choke once it started.Photo

Where is the brass plug on the carb? I haven’t really looked at it very much but would love to be able to make those adjustments

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

3/20/2018 7:31 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Where is the brass plug on the carb? I haven’t really looked at it very much but would love to be able to make those adjustments

On the left side, right in the general area that an air screw is usually located. You'll see a solid brass piece maybe 5 to 6mm round. It's not hard at all to get out, you just want to ensure you don't drill into the screw that's only a few mm behind it.

|

3/21/2018 4:39 AM

Looks like the boy and I will be doing some mini bike work in the garage this weekend. Thanks Guys

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

3/21/2018 12:13 PM

mattyhamz2 wrote:

replace it with the same size. Once you clean it and replace the pilot jet it should fire right up. Remember though, these bikes are cold blooded! They take a little bit to warm up and get going

mmain62 wrote:

You aren't kidding!! This thing take a day and a half to warm up. Thanks for the tips.

mattyhamz2 wrote:

Haha! My daughter's 15 ttr50 is the same and my wife's 04 ttr125 is the same as well. It's a little frustrating at times haha

Just sold a 2015 ttr 125. It was a pain to start.

|

3/24/2018 6:16 AM

Check the valves too, I’ve had em come out of the crate brand new and be too tight. Usually just a hair, but enough that it’ll make it hard to start

|

RPM Performance
CT
783

3/24/2018 3:04 PM

Guys,

TTR’s are fun!

|

much ty. How to spot a paid forum poster/artificial forum traffic producer (see list of actions/phrases below):

Copius pattern amounts of phrases like “Anyone have”..., “Anybody know?”.... and their variations.

Thoughts?
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!