Sxf 450 2018 and 2020 suddenly front end high?

aees
Edited Date/Time 8/16/2020 8:32pm
Second time now I experience this. First on my 2018 sxf last year, 50h-ish. Did a moto, came back in all was fine. Cone valve and track shock. Went back out for second moto and suddenly front end is high, or rather feel like I have 10mm bar risers mounted.

Could not figure out what it was.

Now I got the exact same on my sxf 2020, 15h. Did two motos, went back out for third and bike was feeling awkward as fuck.

Swapped the fork to OEM, same result. Swapped shock to OEM, same result.

Something is up, because when I went to the OEM setup I had to go in on high speed compression and low speed comp on shock, run 103 sag instead of 105, and drop 3psi from fork. Still felt a bit high in front. The bike turns great, even without the adjustment of balance but feel like I have ape hangers for bars and I can really feel I can stand more tall/upright on the bike. And no, this is not a marginal think I imagine, it is a big difference.

Gone over the bike completely, no cracks in frame or subframe, torqued all bolts, switched to xtrig triple clamps. Linkage and swingarm is greased and spin freely when off the bike.

Last resort now is I have mounted my complete 2018 sxf swingarm and linkage.

Has anyone had any similar experience? Driving me fucking nuts.
|
Factor E
8/5/2020 10:20pm
Is the rebound really fast?
Does it clank on return?

Inner cartridge may have come apart
aees
8/6/2020 12:52am
Im going to open up the fork and check, but issue is same with KYB fork +Trax shock as with OEM WP AER fork and OEM shock.
DynoDan22
8/6/2020 6:34am
Following. This is odd. Does it feel like the front end is high, or that the rear end is low when you notice this? With this happening on two separate bikes with different forks, it seems unlikely its a fork problem. What clamps and bars are you running?
aees
8/6/2020 6:54am
DynoDan22 wrote:
Following. This is odd. Does it feel like the front end is high, or that the rear end is low when you notice this? With this...
Following. This is odd. Does it feel like the front end is high, or that the rear end is low when you notice this? With this happening on two separate bikes with different forks, it seems unlikely its a fork problem. What clamps and bars are you running?
It feels like front is high, similar feeling to turning rebound out 10-15 clicks.

I have raced with shorter shock, longer linkage, revalved shock that works lower in the stroke and it does not feel like that. It just feel like the front end is raised 5mm or more, it is a drastic feeling. But the bike turns ok, not as good as it used to, but ok.Thats why the closest feeling is like when you mount higher bars.

Running OEM bar. Last saturday when it happen i ran factory triple clamps, with stock bar mounts. For yesterdays testing i mounted Xtrig Rocs with PHDS, same result.

Talked to dealer, if i cant figure it out this weekend i should bring the bike in and they will measure the frame to see it has not stretched or broken. I cant see anything visually neither on main or sub frame.

Sag is ok and have not changed (i measure with slacker digital scale),37mm static with trax and KYB and about 105mm race sag. It was also same on OEM suspension, just i dropped to 148psi and 103 instead of 151 and 105 (+0.5in on HSC and 2 in on lsc and 1 out rebound) with OEM suspension just to have any chance of bike feeling "level" and being rideable.

The Shop

DynoDan22
8/6/2020 7:46am
interesting. A stretched frame would make the front feel lower would think. A certain brand of green motorcycles in the late 90's to mid 2000's would stretch frames pretty regularly and the front end always felt lower to me. Your issue sounds fork related but it's odd that it's happened on two different bikes and forks.
aees
8/8/2020 6:43am
Problem found and fixed. It was two issues

1. Cartridge on KYB fork had some threads visible, so partly lose
2. Xtrig Rocs triple clamp do NOT have the same total height on the bike as the OEM factory triple clamp. About 5mm difference which if i rememer correctly was the same amount that KTM lowered the frontend/handlebar mount (but did not say how) for the new 2019 mx chassi.

Going to check now if Xtrig have a new part number for the 2019+ MX frame.
aees
8/8/2020 7:15am
So adding the xtrig PHDS to the xtrig clamp is 10mm higher than the fixed bar mounts from xtrig that has partnumber 50200001. 

I dobt know if xtrig fixed mounts is intended to be -10mm with the fixed bar mounts "as is", or, if they intend that to compensate for the xtrig rocs not having same measures as OEM clamp?

If that is the case, then you can't run xtrig  PHDS with xtrig rocs triple clamps without raising the handlebars.
aees
8/9/2020 2:36pm
Factor E wrote:
Get different bar bend
Seems like only solution. To bad, have like 4pcs of OEM stock bar. Not sure if there is a bar that is as low as 68-69mm.
BikePilot
8/16/2020 8:29pm
The pro taper bar specifically for the Scott’s damper in a sub mount is really low and might work for you.

Post a reply to: Sxf 450 2018 and 2020 suddenly front end high?

The Latest