Swingarm Finish

jonahdru222
3/20/2018 8:47am
Hello all

I'm in the process of building a 2006 CR250 and I'm stuck on the swingarm

I cant seem to get it pretty again. The casting looks great but of course the tubing has scratches and whatnot all along it.

Isnt this an anodized finish? Am I screwed?

I used mag wheel cleaner on the casting but some got on the tubing without me noticing and it left some streaks.

I would upload pics but I'm stuck at work.

Any ideas?
|
kb228
3/20/2018 11:14am
Use red scotch brite on the smooth areas - no its not anodized. Follow the length of the swingarm with the scotch brite. Mag wheel is great on the entire swingarm for cleaning. Just be sure it wash it good after or it will turn white and dull from the leftover cleaner.

Cameron niemla has great videos on this on youtube.
jhansen510
Fantasy
3559th
3/22/2018 5:28pm
kb228 wrote:
Use red scotch brite on the smooth areas - no its not anodized. Follow the length of the swingarm with the scotch brite. Mag wheel is...
Use red scotch brite on the smooth areas - no its not anodized. Follow the length of the swingarm with the scotch brite. Mag wheel is great on the entire swingarm for cleaning. Just be sure it wash it good after or it will turn white and dull from the leftover cleaner.

Yes it is clear anodized. Your going to have to sand that ano off.
jonahdru222
3/26/2018 7:07am
kb228 wrote:
Use red scotch brite on the smooth areas - no its not anodized. Follow the length of the swingarm with the scotch brite. Mag wheel is...

jhansen510 wrote:
Best way to sand it off? Tried by hand and it took 20 years to get through and then tried with a multitool and got nowhere. My next guess is pneu dual action sander?
jaredkeller96
3/26/2018 6:03pm
kb228 wrote:

jhansen510 wrote:
Best way to sand it off? Tried by hand and it took 20 years to get through and then tried with a multitool and got nowhere...
Best way to sand it off? Tried by hand and it took 20 years to get through and then tried with a multitool and got nowhere. My next guess is pneu dual action sander?
Oven cleaner will remove anodizing..try it

The Shop

Casl616
3/26/2018 8:16pm
I just did my swing arm. It's on a kx with factory paint. I DA sanded mine and boy what a pain. I took it to 220 then hit it with a gray scuff pad. A finger nail will mark it.
kb228
3/27/2018 1:23am
Casl616 wrote:
I just did my swing arm. It's on a kx with factory paint. I DA sanded mine and boy what a pain. I took it to...
I just did my swing arm. It's on a kx with factory paint. I DA sanded mine and boy what a pain. I took it to 220 then hit it with a gray scuff pad. A finger nail will mark it.
Strange.. all 3 of my kxs only took a bit of scotch brite to give a good finish.
Casl616
3/27/2018 4:21am
Casl616 wrote:
I just did my swing arm. It's on a kx with factory paint. I DA sanded mine and boy what a pain. I took it to...
kb228 wrote:
Strange.. all 3 of my kxs only took a bit of scotch brite to give a good finish.
What years were they? My 06 came stock with a urethane paint. The arms were nice but the casting parts looked like horrible after I stripped the paint so I spent hours cleaning them up.
kb228
3/27/2018 5:18am
Casl616 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Casl616 wrote:
What years were they? My 06 came stock with a urethane paint. The arms were nice but the casting parts looked like horrible after I stripped...
What years were they? My 06 came stock with a urethane paint. The arms were nice but the casting parts looked like horrible after I stripped the paint so I spent hours cleaning them up.
92, and the 250 & 450 are 2009
Casl616
3/27/2018 5:46am
kb228 wrote:
Casl616 wrote:
What years were they? My 06 came stock with a urethane paint. The arms were nice but the casting parts looked like horrible after I stripped...
kb228 wrote:
I got a 2t. Guessing your 4t's are anodized swingarms.
kb228
3/27/2018 5:55am
Casl616 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Casl616 wrote:
I got a 2t. Guessing your 4t's are anodized swingarms.
Dont think so. Unless scotch brite remove anodizing like its nothIng

Post a reply to: Swingarm Finish

The Latest