Swing arm pivot bolt removal

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2019 8:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2019 8:44 AM

What is the best way to remove one that doesn’t even budge with a punch and hammer?

Pounding away only seems like it is “chipping” some of the material on the beginning of the threads..

Also, I have removed others in the past but this one seems to be pretty tough.

|

5/15/2019 8:53 AM

Check the opposite end of the nut and see if the square corner on the head of the bolt is digging into the frame. If it is, just rotate it so it isnt. If that doesnt work, try laying the bike over and soaking it with deep creep, and then use heat and pound it out

|

5/15/2019 9:25 AM

Have never experienced this before but have read about it lots, what kb228 said and a couple other things, put the nut back on a bit when your banging to not damage threads, take an air chisel and cut off the tip of the chisel so it’s a blunt point and use the hammering to try to get it to budge. Can use a hydraulic press or get a bottle jack and wedge it all in between something and use the jack to press it out. Lots of soaking before all of this like kb said

|

5/17/2019 2:31 PM

Try above first... if not I bought a used bike and I had to beat it out (fucking up all the threads) and had to buy a new bolt.. not ideal but ya know

|

5/17/2019 5:33 PM

Common on older bikes, that were never greased... lay bike on its side& spray pb blaster in every nook & cranny of the pivot bolt, let sit, flip to other side, do the same,...get an impact driver on the opposite of the nut side, while spinning the shaft, hit the nut side of the shaft with dead blow hammer/punch, if you have not ruined the threads already, keep the nut on the shaft while hammering it.

|

5/18/2019 6:32 AM

Just be cautious when hammering... once you mushroom the end it makes things way worse (why keeping the nut on helps). Like sandman said if you can get enough out to get a wrench on the end and spin it.
I had one that was seized so hard I sheared the head of the shaft off then ended up cutting on both sides between the case and swingarm.

|