Suspension set-up for high speed soft coarse sand

Hi All, Does anyone have any recommendations for suspension set-up on soft sand at speed? I have an event coming up with average speeds of 60mph up to 130mph in coarse loose sand, it does get a bit whoopy in parts.

In the past I have run the rear with 110 sag 10 clicks out on compression and 3 clicks out on rebound.
Front I run the fork flush with the top of the triple clamp, preload adjuster +6 compression 5 out, rebound 5 out.

2019 Husky FE501

The bikes do get snakey after 60mph

Thanks
|
8/29/2021 10:29pm
Normally with sand you would slow your rebound down, but with those speeds I’m thinking you would want to speed it up. Especially if you get wobbles at higher speeds. Stiffer compression definitely looks to be going in the right direction also
aees
8/31/2021 5:10am
will be large bumps then i guess, and with that speed you will be flying over bumps and into every 3-4th or so. I would keep rebound quiet calm, but avoid wobbles with slightly stiffer comp as above recommend.

If you get sideways in high speed, you dont want rebound to return as soon as wheel touch ground since it might spring you sideways. Some margin on that.

It wont get wobbly due to lack of some rebound, but it will get harsch but that just means you can slow down some in those few places. Chassi also gets lower with slower rebound, which leads to better stability.

In short, with those speeds, I would take stability and safety over comfort. So slower/stiffer rebound, stiffer comp.
Rotaholic
8/31/2021 9:42pm
Try to make the wheel base as long as possible I guess

Post a reply to: Suspension set-up for high speed soft coarse sand

The Latest