Suspension help (South FL)

Arln.rm125
Edited Date/Time 12/12/2021 5:11am
Hey guys currently in the middle of a build on my 07' rm125, I've recently gotten into the sport and only got a few rides on my bike before I had a failure. My question is should I get my suspension setup for me? it was setup for 160-170 pound rider by prev owner and I'm 112 pounds. Ill be riding almost entirely MX. I have already thrown a ton of money at this bike so setting up the suspension may make since. My only concern is that I may not be able to iron out the issues with a fresh setup as I have no experience? This is a question more for anyone in the South FL area, anyone have any opinions on Elliott at sharp moto? Haven't been able to find any reviews on him recently but he would be the closet suspension tuner to me. As his home track is the track I'm moving right next door to. Thanks
|
Rickyisms
11/11/2021 11:40am
Find any local suspension tuner and have them start with springs for your weight. Learn about playing with clickers after that, and if it still doesn't feel right have a tuner address the valving.
Arln.rm125
11/11/2021 11:45am
Rickyisms wrote:
Find any local suspension tuner and have them start with springs for your weight. Learn about playing with clickers after that, and if it still doesn't...
Find any local suspension tuner and have them start with springs for your weight. Learn about playing with clickers after that, and if it still doesn't feel right have a tuner address the valving.
Already asked Elliott about just swapping springs and he said it wouldn't be much of a difference price wise to just revalve at the same time. He said 600-800 bucks a few months back. From my understanding he also helps with setup at race weekends and stuff. My main thing is my forks currently aren't leaking and seem to be in good condition, so do I just mess with the clickers and leave it at that or go for a full revalve/rework?
Sandusky26
11/11/2021 2:59pm
Are you positive the previous owner swapped the springs? RM125’s came sprung pretty soft, if it’s still stock you may end up liking it.

I would find out exactly what’s inside first before I decide.

I seen your thread where you had the engine apart, you can for sure handle suspension work. Pull the forks apart and find out the spring rates, shock spring is pretty simple to find out.

It’s nice seeing young guys working on bikes.
Rickyisms
11/11/2021 3:43pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Find any local suspension tuner and have them start with springs for your weight. Learn about playing with clickers after that, and if it still doesn't...
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Already asked Elliott about just swapping springs and he said it wouldn't be much of a difference price wise to just revalve at the same time...
Already asked Elliott about just swapping springs and he said it wouldn't be much of a difference price wise to just revalve at the same time. He said 600-800 bucks a few months back. From my understanding he also helps with setup at race weekends and stuff. My main thing is my forks currently aren't leaking and seem to be in good condition, so do I just mess with the clickers and leave it at that or go for a full revalve/rework?
Worth it to shop around other options as well. Never used Sharp so I can’t comment but I’ve had a great experience with Tom Fleming at TF racing.

The Shop

11/11/2021 5:20pm
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Hey guys currently in the middle of a build on my 07' rm125, I've recently gotten into the sport and only got a few rides on...
Hey guys currently in the middle of a build on my 07' rm125, I've recently gotten into the sport and only got a few rides on my bike before I had a failure. My question is should I get my suspension setup for me? it was setup for 160-170 pound rider by prev owner and I'm 112 pounds. Ill be riding almost entirely MX. I have already thrown a ton of money at this bike so setting up the suspension may make since. My only concern is that I may not be able to iron out the issues with a fresh setup as I have no experience? This is a question more for anyone in the South FL area, anyone have any opinions on Elliott at sharp moto? Haven't been able to find any reviews on him recently but he would be the closet suspension tuner to me. As his home track is the track I'm moving right next door to. Thanks
If you are moving next door to his home track then I'd give the Sharp Moto guy a try. At least setting you up with spring rates for your weight. I also saw this vid on his FB page with the RM125, so he's also familiar with your bike. He knows the track and the bike. If he's half way decent he should be able to find something to work for you.

Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 3:21am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 4:59am
Sandusky26 wrote:
Are you positive the previous owner swapped the springs? RM125’s came sprung pretty soft, if it’s still stock you may end up liking it. I would...
Are you positive the previous owner swapped the springs? RM125’s came sprung pretty soft, if it’s still stock you may end up liking it.

I seen your thread where you had the engine apart, you can for sure handle suspension work. Pull the forks apart and find out the spring rates, shock spring is pretty simple to find out.

Almost positive they were changed, factory connection set it up for 160-170 pound rider. Wasn't told what skill level or riding style or anything. I would tear into it myself but I'm am pretty much entirely out of space in the current garage. Its 300 some SQFT and is filled with all kinds of stuff (should hopefully be 2880 sqft soon). So I'd be worried about trying to tear into the suspension in such a small space. I also do not have access to a vise at the house. So it would be quite hard to tear into the forks. I will check the shock spring and see if I can find a marking on it
Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 3:23am
Rickyisms wrote:
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Already asked Elliott about just swapping springs and he said it wouldn't be much of a difference price wise to just revalve at the same time...
Rickyisms wrote:
Worth it to shop around other options as well. Never used Sharp so I can’t comment but I’ve had a great experience with Tom Fleming at...
Worth it to shop around other options as well. Never used Sharp so I can’t comment but I’ve had a great experience with Tom Fleming at TF racing.
yeah I'll likely talk to a few shops and just see, never heard of TF. Mind sending a website or number? WMR1 in Stuart is also pretty local to me, I know the guys there decently and they do suspension. May ask them next time I'm there. I know they've dealt with Elliott too so may ask their opinion on Elliott just to see
Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 3:30am
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Hey guys currently in the middle of a build on my 07' rm125, I've recently gotten into the sport and only got a few rides on...
If you are moving next door to his home track then I'd give the Sharp Moto guy a try. At least setting you up with spring...
If you are moving next door to his home track then I'd give the Sharp Moto guy a try. At least setting you up with spring rates for your weight. I also saw this vid on his FB page with the RM125, so he's also familiar with your bike. He knows the track and the bike. If he's half way decent he should be able to find something to work for you.

Yeah for sure, I just wish there were some more recent reviews on him. Everything I can find are from many years ago, and I'm not into the community enough to ask around really. Yeah he has a 04' that's super sick. "national spec motor" has some super trick stuff, ceramic bearings in the motor, RCH shock linkage, JD cdi box. Don't know much past that really. He recommended a local engine guy that he's friends with and did the motor on that bike but that fell though for my bike. Guy ghosted me, then heard some less then ideal stuff from some guys in the community. May give him a try or at least talk with him again and see, need to talk to a few shops and just find out
Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 3:32am
One thing that I've thought of doing is just leaving the suspension how it is for now and putting the bike all back together and just seeing what I do and don't like about the suspension. If I hate it then ill change it, and If I can just mess with the clickers and be good I'll keep it. That should also let me get into the community more and talk with more people. Get some different opinions and find out what tuners guys use around here
Rickyisms
11/12/2021 4:44am
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Rickyisms wrote:
Worth it to shop around other options as well. Never used Sharp so I can’t comment but I’ve had a great experience with Tom Fleming at...
Arln.rm125 wrote:
yeah I'll likely talk to a few shops and just see, never heard of TF. Mind sending a website or number? WMR1 in Stuart is also...
yeah I'll likely talk to a few shops and just see, never heard of TF. Mind sending a website or number? WMR1 in Stuart is also pretty local to me, I know the guys there decently and they do suspension. May ask them next time I'm there. I know they've dealt with Elliott too so may ask their opinion on Elliott just to see
TF has done many fast FL guys suspension, lots of off-road/GNCC guys as well. My stuff that he set up works great for me in the woods and on the track with just clicker changes.

tel:941-322-8248
Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 5:01am
Rickyisms wrote:
Arln.rm125 wrote:
yeah I'll likely talk to a few shops and just see, never heard of TF. Mind sending a website or number? WMR1 in Stuart is also...
Rickyisms wrote:
TF has done many fast FL guys suspension, lots of off-road/GNCC guys as well. My stuff that he set up works great for me in the...
TF has done many fast FL guys suspension, lots of off-road/GNCC guys as well. My stuff that he set up works great for me in the woods and on the track with just clicker changes.

tel:941-322-8248
Appreciate it, will give them a call sooner or later and just talk to them and see. Definitely will shop around and try to figure out who to go with
Arln.rm125
11/12/2021 5:15am Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 5:30am
Sandusky26 wrote:
Are you positive the previous owner swapped the springs? RM125’s came sprung pretty soft, if it’s still stock you may end up liking it. I would...

Welp shock spring isn’t stock, 4.1 kg factory connections rear spring

If anyone who knows spring rates could help that would be greatly appreciated. But I’d have to assume that’s a bit too much spring for 112 pounds. Edit: just went and used the race tech spring calculator and put in my weight, used b class (even though I’m definitely not b class lol) and used prefers stiff. It says to use a 4.08kg spring In the rear. That isn’t super far off as the spring thats in there is actually lighter then stock. Race tech says stock is 4.6kg. I may just replace oil to race tech’s level and try to dial in clickers. If I do replace fluid I’ll just have to clear out the space in the garage and check the springs. Stock front springs are .42. Would hope they would still be around that if the rear spring is that soft. Previous owner did say his suspension “worked best at 160-170 pounds” not that it was sprung for that. May be valved and sprung for much less weight and he just liked soft suspension.
11/12/2021 12:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/12/2021 1:00pm
Those springs should be about perfect for you. Ride it like it is and see how it works.
Sandusky26
11/12/2021 1:09pm
Those springs should be about perfect for you. Ride it like it is and see how it works.
That’s what I’m thinking, sounds like his lucky day to me.

Bark that thing and let us know how it goes.
sandman768
11/12/2021 6:12pm
Looks like it’s missing rubber bump stop…. Should be serviced. Fresh oil, bump stop at minimum…
Arln.rm125
11/13/2021 3:01am
Sandusky26 wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking, sounds like his lucky day to me.

Bark that thing and let us know how it goes.
Def quite lucky that it already has that light of a spring, will service it at this point and figure out what the front springs are. Then ride it, will post a ride report on my build thread and possibly here if I remember. Thanks for the help yall!
Arln.rm125
11/13/2021 3:05am
sandman768 wrote:
Looks like it’s missing rubber bump stop…. Should be serviced. Fresh oil, bump stop at minimum…
Thank you for seeing that, I completely missed that and would've probably noticed it once the entire build was finished. Believe there's tire marks on the bottom of the rear fender from it being bottomed. Should I look for any damage within the shock from it being bottomed without the stopper? Or would I just be better off taking it to a shop to get serviced just to ensure if anything's wrong it'll be found? Yet again thank you for seeing that
sandman768
11/13/2021 5:01am
A missing or rotted off bump stop is usually an indication that the shock has not been serviced in a while. I would have a suspension shop just service the shock, install new bumper, the suspension tech will tell you shock internal condition. While the shock is getting serviced, grease your linkage & swingarm bearings, check for smooth operation. This is minimum to starting to dial in your rear suspension. With rebuilt shock installed, set sag & ride bike… then work on shock settings…
11/13/2021 7:29am
Yeah, a 170# rider with a 4.1kg spring probably destroyed the bumper. Replacing the bumper will also require basic servicing of the shock, so that's a good thing.
Arln.rm125
11/13/2021 7:39am
Yeah, a 170# rider with a 4.1kg spring probably destroyed the bumper. Replacing the bumper will also require basic servicing of the shock, so that's a...
Yeah, a 170# rider with a 4.1kg spring probably destroyed the bumper. Replacing the bumper will also require basic servicing of the shock, so that's a good thing.
Yeah, he said that when he sold it he’s around 185 it just worked best when he was between 160-170. Either way he probably was constantly bottoming it. Plus there was a lot of proof that this thing just sat most of its life. And only got ridden from time to time. So I’m sure it was rotting too. And for sure, at this point I may do some anodizing on the upper fork tubes too while it’s all apart. As the current anodizing is rough. Appreciate the help y’all. Will probably update when it’s done being serviced
Rickyisms
11/15/2021 1:45pm
^ Powerband does really good work as well. They valved my MX setup in 2016 and those settings are still on point to this day, forgot they had just relocated to Florida.
27thmx
12/4/2021 6:05am
Factory connection in leesburg fl is great
Arln.rm125
12/5/2021 12:41am
Appreciate the responses y’all, as the spring looks to be correct for my weight I’m going to service them myself and see if I can get it to feel right how it’s currently setup. If not then I’ll go for a revalve. Hoping to tear into it tomorrow. Thanks!
Grouper
12/11/2021 8:16pm
Arln.rm125 wrote:
I've used elliott for my RM-Z's in the past before moving. He did a good job and he is fair with his prices. He also has been riding (fast) for a long time so he has some experience that some techs do not. My only gripe about him was that, at the time, he wasn't really hands on with helping me set up my bike after getting it back both times. I was about 15-17 when we did business and really didn't know what to do as far as clickers and sag. He'll be out at Moto Bros plenty i bet, so that should help.
Arln.rm125
12/12/2021 5:11am
Arln.rm125 wrote:
Grouper wrote:
I've used elliott for my RM-Z's in the past before moving. He did a good job and he is fair with his prices. He also has...
I've used elliott for my RM-Z's in the past before moving. He did a good job and he is fair with his prices. He also has been riding (fast) for a long time so he has some experience that some techs do not. My only gripe about him was that, at the time, he wasn't really hands on with helping me set up my bike after getting it back both times. I was about 15-17 when we did business and really didn't know what to do as far as clickers and sag. He'll be out at Moto Bros plenty i bet, so that should help.
Apricate it, will be servicing it myself for now but will keep elliott in mind for any revavle work. Thanks

Post a reply to: Suspension help (South FL)

The Latest