Suspension clickers on new dirtbike. HELP!

Dylanyuen271
Alright so my little brother just got an 09 kx250f. Initially the whole bike felt pretty stiff. Maybe the front end a bit more stiff than the rear. We measured his sag and he was perfectly at 105mm rider sag with about 55-60mm static static. So now we just checked what all the clickers were at and they are kind of wacky. Forks I believe were roughly 10 out comp 10 out rebound.(brother softened comp on his own and didnt record original, im guessing it was about 10). The rear shock had 4 out low speed comp 16 out rebound. Why could it have been set up this? What do we do to correct this. I'm iffy about going back to stock settings because I'm thinking the springs in the forks might be stiffer than the rear shock spring that I believe is stock. I don't want him to get hurt due to dangerous suspension set up. Any ideas?
|
Dylanyuen271
8/31/2018 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 8/31/2018 5:00pm
The bike felt pretty close to balanced at first. We're trying to get it softer. As far as compression goes I'm thinking the safest most balanced set up would be to run 15-17 out in the forks and about 10 out in the rear? But for rebound I'm not quite sure. I dont want him to get bucked over the bars or something.
Paul_Pitzonka
8/31/2018 7:01pm
If you don’t know the spring rate it’s hard to set up the suspension correctly... if you’re that concerned about it the best advice I can offer is to disassemble a fork and calculate the spring rate... same for the shock...if they both end up being stock...I would neutral the clickers and adjust from there... remember clickers are just a fine tuning tool... first thing I would recommend to do is get the correct spring rate for his weight... even with stock valving a bike with the correct spring rate will handle way better... the way to adjust suspension is to first get the correct springs... then adjust valving, then fine tune it with the clickers... you won’t be able to set up suspension through clickers alone
Paw Paw 271
8/31/2018 9:21pm
That looks to be too much static sag. I suggest it has an incorrect shock spring for his weight.

Paw Paw

The Shop

matze
Fantasy
3101st
9/1/2018 2:59am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2018 3:00am
Like said before the correct spring rate is very important, makes a huge difference. Also, if you can do the fork service by yourself, you can play with oil height just a little bit and viscosity. That way I found the perfect setup for me on my kx250f
9/1/2018 2:16pm
That looks to be too much static sag. I suggest it has an incorrect shock spring for his weight.

Paw Paw
Yes he needs softer spring.

Post a reply to: Suspension clickers on new dirtbike. HELP!

The Latest