Suspension Theory

Related:
Create New Tag

10/5/2017 8:32 PM

Was wondering if some of you guys might be able to break down in laymans terms what each clicker does front and rear. Feels like I'm chasing my tail at the track most days and I can't get a good baseline setting which is what I'm searchkng for.

I don't need perfect, just comfort.

If someone could break down the settings and what they do - help/hinder relative to terrain I would greatly appreciate it. I've read countless articles and have done my research trying to find some solutions, but I'm thinking it might be best coming from an average dude that can explain a little more simply.

Thanks in advance!

|

10/6/2017 2:23 AM

Forks
High speed compression damping:
how stiff the forks are in the lower part of the stroke. You go into this area when landing off a jump. If youre bottoming out, stiffen this up. If youre not using any of your travel, soften it. I think most people set theirs up so they bottom their forks very seldomly. Not completely eliminate bottoming.
Low speed compression damping:
How stiff the forks are in the upper part of the stroke. This area is when you go over small bumps and rollers. If you feel like every bump is shattering your body you might be too soft here and riding in the high speed part of the stroke or your spring rate is too low causing the forks to compress too much just under your own weight.
Rebound damping:
how fast the forks extend after being compressed. If this is too low you will experience packing where each sequential bump puts your forks in a lower position each hit and youll end up riding in the high speed part of the stroke.
Fork height:
Fork height in your triple clamps can be adjusted for handling tweaks of the bike. Raising them up will lower the front end and allow you to turn better. Lowering the forks will give you more stability over rough straightaways.

Shock:
Basically the same concept as the forks.

If your ass end is coming up off a jump your compression damping could be too stiff. Chopping the throttle off the face can cause this too.

Too much compression can also cause your ass end to kick side to side over whoops. Too fast rebound is a cause of this too.

The opposite is true if your ass kicks straight up on bumps.

Thats all i got. Suspension is super in depth and im not even that well versed in it. Hopefully this gets you started.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

10/6/2017 7:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/6/2017 7:51 AM

Suspensiontuninghelp@moonfruit.com

Very good breakdown of clickers function, and how to dial them in.

|

Livin' the dream, two wheels at a time!