Suspension Coatings

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2017 5:59 PM

Who knows where to get tubes, legs, shock body and shaft coated?

|

4/16/2017 6:09 PM

MP818 wrote:

Who knows where to get tubes, legs, shock body and shaft coated?

Any good suspension place can do it, send it out, service etc. Mine is at factory connection for a regular service, and coatings. As we speak. Dlc, kashima,lugs etc. Pr2, pro circuit, mb1, Enzo, race tech, mx tech.Slipdog on here does good stuff. All depends on your budget and the turn around time you want.

|

4/16/2017 6:25 PM

What about some Ti-Nitride coatings?

|

4/16/2017 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2017 6:59 PM

MP818 wrote:

What about some Ti-Nitride coatings?

Yep, might have to call around on those,. Prices vary also. If the parts are damaged or worn, coating might be tough, might need replaced. What bike,year,size?

|

4/16/2017 7:53 PM

Brand new YZF. Has maybe 4 hours on the entire bike.

|

4/16/2017 8:00 PM

MP818 wrote:

Brand new YZF. Has maybe 4 hours on the entire bike.

Your parts should be good,. Prices probably close from most places.

|

4/16/2017 11:52 PM

srs suspension, he does great work and his coatings are super nice and decently priced! look him on Instagram @srssuspension.

|

4/17/2017 10:51 AM

I've always wanted to know where the suspension shops outsource their coatings? I assume some can do them in house, but I figured a lot send them out to places that specialize in that type of stuff.

|

4/17/2017 10:52 AM

TJMX947 wrote:

I've always wanted to know where the suspension shops outsource their coatings? I assume some can do them in house, but I ...more

Kashima is in Japan.

|

4/18/2017 12:16 AM

TJMX947 wrote:

I've always wanted to know where the suspension shops outsource their coatings? I assume some can do them in house, but I ...more

mxb2 wrote:

Kashima is in Japan.

I would doubt any suspension shops would be capaibale of DLC or TiN.

|

4/18/2017 8:51 AM

TJMX947 wrote:

I've always wanted to know where the suspension shops outsource their coatings? I assume some can do them in house, but I ...more

mxb2 wrote:

Kashima is in Japan.

Helder wrote:

I would doubt any suspension shops would be capaibale of DLC or TiN.

Any good suspension place can do it.

|

4/18/2017 9:31 AM

They would be out sourcing the coating surely? The set up is so expensive it would take 5 lifetimes of coating shocks and forks to make the money back?? The place I use in Japan for DLC defenetly does and they are a massive suspension company...

|

4/18/2017 10:09 AM

Helder wrote:

They would be out sourcing the coating surely? The set up is so expensive it would take 5 lifetimes of coating shocks and ...more

Yep,. Mine is at factory connection for service and coatings. As we speak.

|

4/18/2017 11:07 AM

There's a DLC coating place literally 20 mins down the road from me. I believe they do Tin as well

|

IG @jaredkeller96

4/18/2017 2:54 PM

jaredkeller96 wrote:

There's a DLC coating place literally 20 mins down the road from me. I believe they do Tin as well

A motorcycle suspension shop?

|

4/18/2017 3:33 PM

Helder wrote:

A motorcycle suspension shop?

Nope just a industrial place that does coatings for tool and die etc. but they offer DLC and multiple other coatings for many uses

|

IG @jaredkeller96

4/18/2017 11:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 11:23 PM

Sorry if this is a silly question but why do forks have to be sent to Japan for Kashima coatings?
It's not something that can be done in the US?

****edit****
never mind, a quick google search answered my question for me....lol

|

4/19/2017 2:46 AM

Since we're on the subject, do you think it's worthwhile to get the lower tubes TiN (gold) coated in stock showa suspension? I can have it done really (REALLY) cheap and was wondering "just for the bling". Which parts would it make most sense to have TiN covered in suspension? Anything inside?

|

4/19/2017 5:49 AM

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which actually increases friction at the fork seal and shock seal. Seals have a plus/minus .0005 to prevent fluid leaking. TiN and DLC add anywhere from .001-.003 depending on who does the work. Doesnt sound like much, but it is a lot.

If you want it for the bling factor, go for it. If you want the performance benefit of it, pay the money to have the plating stripped, prepped and then coated to the OEM diameter.

|

4/19/2017 7:44 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which ...more

Bones spoke to this in MXA recently. Said it actually took away from your suspension performance because the parts were built to perform under these tolerances and when you make these small it throws the harmony off. He said he's had to recommend that people buy new fork tubes before because the coatings were wrecking performance.

|

4/19/2017 6:16 PM

Dtat720 wrote:

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which ...more

TJMX947 wrote:

Bones spoke to this in MXA recently. Said it actually took away from your suspension performance because the parts were built ...more

I read that too. Made a lot of sense after he explained it.

|

4/19/2017 9:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/19/2017 9:54 PM

Dtat720 wrote:

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which ...more

Umm I think you better do a bit more research. DLC coatings are 1-2 microns which equals

1μm = 0.001mm = 0.00003937"

You did not specify units in your post, but 0.003" for a high tolerance item mays well be a mile

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

4/19/2017 11:48 PM

BobPA wrote:

Umm I think you better do a bit more research. DLC coatings are 1-2 microns which equals

1μm = 0.001mm = 0.00003937"

You did ...more

That's what makes me wonder. I get that the tolerances on even a stock suspension are tight, but are they that tight, that 0.002mm would make a noticeable difference? I get that the tolerances would be reduced slightly, but there's also a positive side - reduced friction, right?

Which parts other than lower fork legs are worth DLC/TiN coating or anodizing?

|

4/20/2017 5:07 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which ...more

BobPA wrote:

Umm I think you better do a bit more research. DLC coatings are 1-2 microns which equals

1μm = 0.001mm = 0.00003937"

You did ...more

I missed a zero. My mistake. I deal with DLC and TiN coatings on a weekly basis on several parts for one of our customers. Hence why i said depends on who does it. Send 5,000 parts off for coatings and mic each one when it comes back like we do. The numbers you read off a website are what it should be, not always what you get. TiN is even more wide open, everyone and their dog thinks they can vapor depo TiN, and again, only a few put there get it right.

|

4/20/2017 5:10 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

Coating stock pieces off a showroom bike doesnt benefit as you would think. You are adding to the outside diameter which ...more

BobPA wrote:

Umm I think you better do a bit more research. DLC coatings are 1-2 microns which equals

1μm = 0.001mm = 0.00003937"

You did ...more

Turbojez wrote:

That's what makes me wonder. I get that the tolerances on even a stock suspension are tight, but are they that tight, that ...more

Stiction. .002 makes a difference, it doesnt sound like much but its noticable

|

5/3/2017 6:01 PM

I called a place today that does DLC, and they said the chrome on the forks makes DLC a hit and miss sometimes. Is there a prep to do on them or what? The minimum order at this place is 150$ and that varies on how big the parts are..and how many

|

IG @jaredkeller96

5/3/2017 10:56 PM

What is the black coating on stock kawasaki forks?

|

5/4/2017 12:06 AM

Aceofspades wrote:

What is the black coating on stock kawasaki forks?

DLC. Sometimes I wish I had a kawi so I could have the uppers anodized or kashima. They'd look factory

|

IG @jaredkeller96

5/4/2017 7:44 AM

Aceofspades wrote:

What is the black coating on stock kawasaki forks?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

DLC. Sometimes I wish I had a kawi so I could have the uppers anodized or kashima. They'd look factory

If I had a Kawi I'd get the fork lugs coated in a flat black (cerokote) and call it a day. IMO the uppers already look factory.

|

5/4/2017 8:54 AM

Aceofspades wrote:

What is the black coating on stock kawasaki forks?

jaredkeller96 wrote:

DLC. Sometimes I wish I had a kawi so I could have the uppers anodized or kashima. They'd look factory

TJMX947 wrote:

If I had a Kawi I'd get the fork lugs coated in a flat black (cerokote) and call it a day. IMO the uppers already look ...more

X2 or put the kyb kit on it from technical touch.

|