Sunoco vs VP

UPSman334
3/29/2018 8:35pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 6:53am
Has anyone used sunoco 110 in their 2 stroke?? i use vp 110 but i can easily get sunoco so i was wondering if they are relatively the same thing
|
sandman768
3/30/2018 5:25am
I have compared the data sheets on Sunoco leaded 110 & VP C12, they are almost identical. I use Sunoco 110 leaded in all my 2 strokes, stock bikes I use 50/50 blend of the Sunoco 110. & 91 non ethanol, no issues at all. I have a modified cr250 that requires straight race gas, and I also use the Sunoco 110.
kb228
3/30/2018 5:43am
Ive used them in my 4 strokes and theyre identical. I usually go with the sunoco(cam2) bevause its cheaper.
YZed250
3/30/2018 10:58am
I used Sunoco/91 Octane pump in my stock 2006 YZ250. Cleared up the detonation nicely.
agent99
3/31/2018 2:36pm
Sunoco 110 and vp 110 are two completely different fuel target groups. sunoco is a motorsports fuel for cars and such . vp is a powersports fuel intended for powersports applications where the vehicle has a short fuel delivery line and the fuel can be kept cool enough to not vapor lock in the fuel line. the difference in the fuels is in the boiling point of the fuel. Sunoco has a high boiling point of around 350 degrees so it can make it all the way thru a car fuel system . vp has a much lower boiling point that if its used in a car it would turn to vapor in the line before it gets to the engine bay. the whole idea is to use the lowest boiling point fuel for your application and this way u achieve the best vaporization of the fuel charge. if u look at the tech sheets on vp racing site and study carefully for a bit u can learn a wealth of info on the different formulas . u will notice the different grouping of the fuels under motorsports and powersports and when u look at the formulas u see the high boiling point stuff is all for automotive and the motorcycle stuff gets down to some very low boiling points . in my 06 cr125 bone stock I enjoy how it runs on vp113. I choose this over the 110 for the extra kick of being oxygenated . vp110 is also very good. the u4.4 is low boiling point but has a very heavy specific gravity causing a rich condition if u don't change the jets. I personally would not run sunoco110 unless I could not get any lower boiling point fuel

The Shop

FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
3/31/2018 8:24pm
By boiling point, I assume you mean the distillation. They don't look so very different to me.

c0ncEpT
4/1/2018 6:21am
I blended Sunoco 110 and pump 93 50/50 in my 15 Husky 125. Ran amazing. Totally got rid of my problem where the pump fuel would gum the carb after 2 weeks of sitting
katoom350
4/1/2018 9:54am
I get Sunoco 110 leaded at the pump. Run it 50/50 with premium pump fuel in my 250xc. Runs great
Frank
4/3/2018 5:17pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2018 5:17pm
We have no other option than Sunoco 110 for $8/gallon. I feel cycle shops are missing the boat not stocking VP or Renegade in 5g buckets. Give us a reason to go there. Everything else they sell is available online for less. Someone needs to make race fuel available for the masses without us having to buy a $650 drum. RMATV you listening?
yz133rider
4/4/2018 6:59am
Frank wrote:
We have no other option than Sunoco 110 for $8/gallon. I feel cycle shops are missing the boat not stocking VP or Renegade in 5g buckets...
We have no other option than Sunoco 110 for $8/gallon. I feel cycle shops are missing the boat not stocking VP or Renegade in 5g buckets. Give us a reason to go there. Everything else they sell is available online for less. Someone needs to make race fuel available for the masses without us having to buy a $650 drum. RMATV you listening?
Reason rmatv doesnt carry it is you cant ship it cheaply or easily as i understand it.
mxb2
4/4/2018 7:22am
Frank wrote:
We have no other option than Sunoco 110 for $8/gallon. I feel cycle shops are missing the boat not stocking VP or Renegade in 5g buckets...
Find 3 or 4 people buy a pallet of fuel, divide shipping ,fuel costs . Simple.
exbmxmx
4/4/2018 7:38am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2018 7:42am
They are the same basic 110 octane leaded race fuel. No performance difference between the two so run which ever you can get cheaper. Both the 110 race fuels are suitable for cars, boats or motorcycles that need a higher octane but they are a basic fuel and not custom blended for any specific application.
bvm111
4/4/2018 1:11pm
I have run both VP T4 and Sunoco GX260 which is non-ethanol unleaded 98 octane... The T4 makes the decel popping much more pronounced so I am going back to the Sunoco.

I run straight C12 in my TMR built 06 KX250 and since it is easier and cheaper to get the Sunoco 110 I was going to give it a try when I am through my last 5 gal pail of VP.
bvm111
4/7/2018 12:56pm
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/race-fuel?f=brand:sunoco, What one of these are you using? Over here in the U.K., we have either 95 or 97 pump fuel, which one should I use...
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/race-fuel?f=brand:sunoco,

What one of these are you using? Over here in the U.K., we have either 95 or 97 pump fuel, which one should I use & is it just a 50/50 mix?
I mistyped the Sunoco I was using in my 450... it is actually 260GTX, It is 98 octane unleaded, non-ethanol, no oxygenate. I was getting it here in Las Vegas for about 35 dollars a 5 gallon pale, I just purchased this week and it did go up about 5 dollars to about 40 dollars. For comparison the T4 was 75 dollars and I couldn't tell if it actually ran any better so I will stick with the more reasonably priced option.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/260-gtx
Asimo
4/7/2018 1:33pm
There are only 2 Refineries cracking their own base for race fuel last I checked, and the rest buys the base fuel from the refineries and blends regular additives anyone can buy to make various "Blends" Sunoco is one and Possibly 76 still. Keep in Mind, most race fuel brands are just rebranded fuel.
Race fuel is nothing special. Alot of the ingredients can be bought in bulk anywhere, even Wal Mart, Home Depot, Hardware stores etc sell small gallon sized but it might be old, need to be filtered etc since Fuel isnt the intended use.

Octane boosters are just the same ingredients, nothing special.

Sunoco bought out Trick, Turbo Blue and many others years ago.

For example, Trick was just rebranded Phillips 66 "B" fuels for well over a decade or two, which later when they merged with Chevron changed the name to Track Tek fuels. I think those are gone 100% now also. Havent seen them in a few years.

Trick stations are now Sunoco stations because they bought them out when Phillips/Chevron got out.

Buy whats cheapest, or head to the airport. Before race fuel was a thing, all race gas was 100LL where dudes would add various compounds to blend for their own needs. Just like what most do with all their blends. They take a base fuel, and custom blend all the various additives.

Asimo
4/7/2018 1:38pm
https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/race-fuel?f=brand:sunoco, What one of these are you using? Over here in the U.K., we have either 95 or 97 pump fuel, which one should I use...

What one of these are you using? Over here in the U.K., we have either 95 or 97 pump fuel, which one should I use & is it just a 50/50 mix?
bvm111 wrote:
I mistyped the Sunoco I was using in my 450... it is actually 260GTX, It is 98 octane unleaded, non-ethanol, no oxygenate. I was getting it...
I mistyped the Sunoco I was using in my 450... it is actually 260GTX, It is 98 octane unleaded, non-ethanol, no oxygenate. I was getting it here in Las Vegas for about 35 dollars a 5 gallon pale, I just purchased this week and it did go up about 5 dollars to about 40 dollars. For comparison the T4 was 75 dollars and I couldn't tell if it actually ran any better so I will stick with the more reasonably priced option.

You're over octaned and wasting your money.
exbmxmx
4/7/2018 2:14pm
Asimo wrote:
There are only 2 Refineries cracking their own base for race fuel last I checked, and the rest buys the base fuel from the refineries and...
There are only 2 Refineries cracking their own base for race fuel last I checked, and the rest buys the base fuel from the refineries and blends regular additives anyone can buy to make various "Blends" Sunoco is one and Possibly 76 still. Keep in Mind, most race fuel brands are just rebranded fuel.
Race fuel is nothing special. Alot of the ingredients can be bought in bulk anywhere, even Wal Mart, Home Depot, Hardware stores etc sell small gallon sized but it might be old, need to be filtered etc since Fuel isnt the intended use.

For example, Trick was just rebranded Phillips 66 "B" fuels for well over a decade or two, which later when they merged with Chevron changed the name to Track Tek fuels. I think those are gone 100% now also. Havent seen them in a few years.

Trick stations are now Sunoco stations because they bought them out when Phillips/Chevron got out.

Buy whats cheapest, or head to the airport. Before race fuel was a thing, all race gas was 100LL where dudes would add various compounds to blend for their own needs. Just like what most do with all their blends. They take a base fuel, and custom blend all the various additives.

Which two refineries are making the base blend stock for the race fuel? Most fuels I have seen use isopar c or isopar e as a base blend stock which an ExxonMobil product. Just curious, always trying to learn something new.

bvm111
4/7/2018 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 10:31pm

bvm111 wrote:
I mistyped the Sunoco I was using in my 450... it is actually 260GTX, It is 98 octane unleaded, non-ethanol, no oxygenate. I was getting it...

Asimo wrote:
You're over octaned and wasting your money.
It's the lowest octane non ethanol, non oxygenated fuel I can buy here in Vegas... there is no way I am pouring that garbage they bring from California with ethanol in my motorcycle Especially when I have heard it mildly ping under load when it is over 100 degrees. What do you run in your motorcycle or What is your suggestion since you seem to know what is best.. honestly asking!?
4/14/2018 11:07am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2018 11:11am
Race fuel octane numbers are determined the same way pump gas numbers are, R+M/2. R stands for Research octane+M which stands for Motor octane. Add the 2 together and divide by 2. The only number that matters for race fuel is the Motor Octane. The higher the Motor Octane number for a 110, the more you get for your money. A lower octane fuel usually gives better results in two stroke applications. WMR in Stuart FL. did some work with Renegade HR 102 and found it works very well.
UPSman334
4/29/2018 10:21pm
If i got a stock bike am i wasting my money using straight 110? should i cut it with pump gas??
kb228
4/30/2018 1:23am
UPSman334 wrote:
If i got a stock bike am i wasting my money using straight 110? should i cut it with pump gas??
Buy lower octane gas. Dont need that kind of octane for a stock motor. VP makes 93. Id still avoid pump gas.
riv187
4/30/2018 8:27am
I run sunuco 110 in my vintage and brand new 2 strokes. Do they all need 110 octane ? No!....Do I like cleaning my carb and fuel tank on afternoon I should be riding> Definately no! cause the fuel varnished in bowl and jets..!. Even 93 high test varnishs and goes bad in a few months...The race fuel doesn't. If your riding every weekend and it doesn't sit your OK...but the 1-2 months you don't because of rain,,honey dos,, injury,, and got out there and its funky...get out the tools.
6/25/2019 9:45pm
I used Union 76 100 octane for years in my vintage bikes, when that dried up I was able to buy Sunoco 110 at the pump from a local station, when that went away I switched to Sunoco GTX 260 but now I'm probably going to switch to Sunoco Optima, well worth it.
The shelf life and RVP are impressive.

FWIW we used CP VP drag racing (4 stroke), great stuff but unless they've taken a different tack the stuff doesn't keep and you have be careful about it losing it's aromatic content quickly once the container is opened, we preferred Sunoco "Maximal" because of consistent batching, unlike VP which could and did vary, our two stroke drag bikes we always ran Sunoco 110, VP C10 could get us by in a pinch but I didn't care for it.

https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuel/optima
12/15/2020 5:54pm
agent99 wrote:
Sunoco 110 and vp 110 are two completely different fuel target groups. sunoco is a motorsports fuel for cars and such . vp is a powersports...
Sunoco 110 and vp 110 are two completely different fuel target groups. sunoco is a motorsports fuel for cars and such . vp is a powersports fuel intended for powersports applications where the vehicle has a short fuel delivery line and the fuel can be kept cool enough to not vapor lock in the fuel line. the difference in the fuels is in the boiling point of the fuel. Sunoco has a high boiling point of around 350 degrees so it can make it all the way thru a car fuel system . vp has a much lower boiling point that if its used in a car it would turn to vapor in the line before it gets to the engine bay. the whole idea is to use the lowest boiling point fuel for your application and this way u achieve the best vaporization of the fuel charge. if u look at the tech sheets on vp racing site and study carefully for a bit u can learn a wealth of info on the different formulas . u will notice the different grouping of the fuels under motorsports and powersports and when u look at the formulas u see the high boiling point stuff is all for automotive and the motorcycle stuff gets down to some very low boiling points . in my 06 cr125 bone stock I enjoy how it runs on vp113. I choose this over the 110 for the extra kick of being oxygenated . vp110 is also very good. the u4.4 is low boiling point but has a very heavy specific gravity causing a rich condition if u don't change the jets. I personally would not run sunoco110 unless I could not get any lower boiling point fuel
Look, Vp is just the more popular race fuel brand. Sunoco is just as good just not as popular, I think Sunoco is better only because it's at gas stations and it's a bit cheaper. There both race fuels that do the same thing so i'm going with sunoco because there's a gas station 1 minute from my house that sells it. You can go with either one and they'll do the same thing.
mwssquad827
12/15/2020 6:53pm
UPSman334 wrote:
Has anyone used sunoco 110 in their 2 stroke?? i use vp 110 but i can easily get sunoco so i was wondering if they are...
Has anyone used sunoco 110 in their 2 stroke?? i use vp 110 but i can easily get sunoco so i was wondering if they are relatively the same thing
I run 110 straight in my tc, RM and the weed whacked gets the left overs😂😂😂😂 love the stuff. Way cheaper than VP, crisp throttle response and a very good burn..
b_kowalsk
12/15/2020 9:00pm
In CT we don't really have many places that sell VP that I know of. Sunoco is pretty readily available. Been running 112 Supreme as it looks like they recommend it for two strokes above the Standard 110 on their website.
mx317
12/16/2020 6:53am
Our local station sells Renegade 110 for $7.29 a gallon. I usually use one gallon of 110 to 2 gallons of 91 non-ethanol in my YZ450F. I go 50/50 on my vintage Tom Morgan ported 2-stroke Elsinore 250 with good results.
Joe Hedrick
5/24/2021 8:22am
Race fuel octane numbers are determined the same way pump gas numbers are, R+M/2. R stands for Research octane+M which stands for Motor octane. Add the...
Race fuel octane numbers are determined the same way pump gas numbers are, R+M/2. R stands for Research octane+M which stands for Motor octane. Add the 2 together and divide by 2. The only number that matters for race fuel is the Motor Octane. The higher the Motor Octane number for a 110, the more you get for your money. A lower octane fuel usually gives better results in two stroke applications. WMR in Stuart FL. did some work with Renegade HR 102 and found it works very well.
Hey you forgot to mention that R stands for Ron Which is a test fuel and M stands for Mon RON+MON/2.
Motoxtombo
11/26/2023 9:12pm

Sorry to bring up a old thread, I've been running Av Gas LL100 for the last 40 years but its getting tough to get around here now, I was looking at the Sunoco race fuels,  The Supreme is 112 octane and Standard is 110 octane and sound pretty good going from the above comments.  Has anyone ran Sunoco Surge 105 octane? I have a stock 2019 KTM 250 2-stroke so I don't really need the higher octane.

Thanks

NITRODOG
Fantasy
1476th
11/28/2023 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2023 12:52pm
Asimo wrote:
There are only 2 Refineries cracking their own base for race fuel last I checked, and the rest buys the base fuel from the refineries and...

exbmxmx wrote:
Which two refineries are making the base blend stock for the race fuel? Most fuels I have seen use isopar c or isopar e as a...
Which two refineries are making the base blend stock for the race fuel? Most fuels I have seen use isopar c or isopar e as a base blend stock which an ExxonMobil product. Just curious, always trying to learn something new.

Phillips 66 Specialty Chemical plant in Borger Texas.  You can find it on google maps.  It was built to refine 115/145 AV during WW2 for the P51 Mustang.  It can and does produce batches in much smaller quantities with tighter tolerances than a "normal" gas refinery.

Post a reply to: Sunoco vs VP

The Latest