Stuck Spring Seat-Showa

Edited Date/Time 10/24/2018 8:41pm
Working on respringing my 06 RM 250 but the spring seat is stuck on the lower collar so i can't get at the lock ring.

Any ideas on how to free it up?

|
Paw Paw 271
10/24/2018 8:40am
Lightly Heat the collar and tap it with a dead blow hammer.

Paw Paw
murph783
10/24/2018 9:55am
Yep, like paw paw said. More heat, more hit. It’ll either pop loose or break. Maybe put a strap wrench on it and try to get a little side torque, but that definitely risks breaking something
10/24/2018 9:59am
I was trying to pop it with a rubber mallet this morning to get it loose, but was struggling to find a way to hold the collar so I could get a clean blow on the spring seat, any tips for that?

Will definitely try some heat tonight.
slipdog
10/24/2018 10:24am
Rest the bottom of the inner collar on the top coil of the spring and beat the outer collar like a red-headed stepchild. That's how I do it when they're stuck from dirt/corrosion. Sometimes you have to rotate the collar as it begins to come loose to get it to uncover the circlip evenly.

The Shop

10/24/2018 10:32am
slipdog wrote:
Rest the bottom of the inner collar on the top coil of the spring and beat the outer collar like a red-headed stepchild. That's how I...
Rest the bottom of the inner collar on the top coil of the spring and beat the outer collar like a red-headed stepchild. That's how I do it when they're stuck from dirt/corrosion. Sometimes you have to rotate the collar as it begins to come loose to get it to uncover the circlip evenly.
Appreciate the input, this is the first time I am doing this particular job myself so I was slightly concerned about potentially damaging what appears to be some thin metal but it sounds like I can get after it with the hammer?
murph783
10/24/2018 12:37pm
slipdog wrote:
Rest the bottom of the inner collar on the top coil of the spring and beat the outer collar like a red-headed stepchild. That's how I...
Appreciate the input, this is the first time I am doing this particular job myself so I was slightly concerned about potentially damaging what appears to...
Appreciate the input, this is the first time I am doing this particular job myself so I was slightly concerned about potentially damaging what appears to be some thin metal but it sounds like I can get after it with the hammer?
Well you might fuck up the collar but if it’s already seized in there it may not be a bad idea anyhow
10/24/2018 7:18pm
slipdog wrote:
This technique was able to get it loose. I am planning cleaning the grime and everything off really well before I put it back together. Would an extremely light coat of grease prevent this from happening again? or would that make the problem worse by attracting dirt?
slipdog
10/24/2018 8:41pm
slipdog wrote:
This technique was able to get it loose. I am planning cleaning the grime and everything off really well before I put it back together. Would...
This technique was able to get it loose. I am planning cleaning the grime and everything off really well before I put it back together. Would an extremely light coat of grease prevent this from happening again? or would that make the problem worse by attracting dirt?
I'm not sure if grease in that area would help in the long term as that is prone to mud and dirt every time you ride. Personally, I'm a pretty heavy pressure washer guy and I lay my bike over each time to clean the underside of the engine, the linkage, and shock. I coat everything really good with WD40 when I'm finished as well.

Post a reply to: Stuck Spring Seat-Showa

The Latest