Stripped oil drain threads

Lesko34
12/16/2018 8:05pm
I have a 2017 yz250f with a stripped oil drain hole. It is the threads in the case and the way they have it near the frame you have to take the motor out to tap it. Any other ideas? Thanks
|
brody
12/17/2018 7:31am
i stripped one myself
3 options tap it
heli coil
buy new cases
if its to close to frame take the motor out
you have to take it out anyways
Lesko34
12/17/2018 1:25pm
brody wrote:
i stripped one myself 3 options tap it heli coil buy new cases if its to close to frame take the motor out you have to...
i stripped one myself
3 options tap it
heli coil
buy new cases
if its to close to frame take the motor out
you have to take it out anyways
I was gonna try a timesert kit but they are expensive. Probably gonna end up pulling the motor and tap it
brody
12/17/2018 2:17pm
I would put in the heli coil they are stronger than just the tap
garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
12/17/2018 7:59pm
make sure you grease up the tap so it catches the bits and they dont end up in your case.

The Shop

12/18/2018 7:48pm
I know the time sent is expensive, but that’s the route I would go.
12/18/2018 10:36pm
+2 on the time sert. 10x better than a heli coil. It's peace of mind knowing a time sert is in there as opposed to a heli coil. There's a reason why they are more expensive...thats the way I look at it. If it wasn't a crucial bolt going in then I'd say go heli coil all day but it doesn't get much more crucial than an oil drain bolt.
russsmith
7/12/2023 12:22pm

Curious how this turned out? Did you buy the time sert set? M10x1.25x16 size?

btroxler
7/13/2023 11:47am

Just be very careful, just did a complete engine rebuild on a customers bike (17 KX250F) because they put a helicoil in the oil drain. It pushed the shavings into the case and the oil pump sits right beside the drain and it sucked all the aluminum up into the oil pump causing oil pump to fail.

I ended up drilling and tapping the hole one size bigger while I had the cases apart to fix it. Could have welded it up but there was plenty of material in the casting to go a couple sizes bigger if needed.

Kidkawie
7/14/2023 4:01pm

You can buy repair kits at auto part stores.  

skypig
7/14/2023 5:09pm

Helicoils are stronger. Stronger than the original “tapped into alloy”  - hence their use in HiPo applications.

Timeserts are for things that are removed regularly, like drain plugs.

I’m proud of a repair I did on a vintage RM125 fork with a Timesert. Put in from the out side, it would tend to tighten up (if anything) as the axle screws in. The first time I’d come across them.

Back to the original issue - engine probably has to come out.

garasaki
7/19/2023 6:46am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2023 6:47am

I went thru this on a yamaha too.  Granted this post is several years old...but a few thoughts:

Engine removal felt like it'd be a big deal.  Yeah it took a couple hours.  I don't see how you can get around it.  Looking back, it wasn't THAT bad.

There's not much material at that location on a yamaha case (which is a real bummer, it severely limits the options), but I was able to tap the next size up.  It's been holding up since then but I'm real gentle on it.

There's no real pressure exerted on that bolt.  It's a critical critical bolt to stay in place, but it's not gonna see any stress or (significant) force exerted on it from inside this case.  Seems like the concerns about strength are a bit overblown.

skypig
7/19/2023 4:55pm
garasaki wrote:
I went thru this on a yamaha too.  Granted this post is several years old...but a few thoughts: Engine removal felt like it'd be a big...

I went thru this on a yamaha too.  Granted this post is several years old...but a few thoughts:

Engine removal felt like it'd be a big deal.  Yeah it took a couple hours.  I don't see how you can get around it.  Looking back, it wasn't THAT bad.

There's not much material at that location on a yamaha case (which is a real bummer, it severely limits the options), but I was able to tap the next size up.  It's been holding up since then but I'm real gentle on it.

There's no real pressure exerted on that bolt.  It's a critical critical bolt to stay in place, but it's not gonna see any stress or (significant) force exerted on it from inside this case.  Seems like the concerns about strength are a bit overblown.

Good point - some people do the drain plug up like it holds the bike together.

We lockwire them for road racing/Supermoto. Best of both worlds- just a light “nip up”, but you know it can’t fall out.

Post a reply to: Stripped oil drain threads

The Latest