Storing my bike for a year - what should I do?

deadlo
What should I do to store by fc450 for a year? I initially thought to drain everything, but a quick google search mentioned to never drain anything when “winter storing” your bike. Wont the gas clog up and be bad after a year? I’m guessing leaving the oil and coolant should be ok. I was going to at least drain the gas.

My wife will be here and could start it every week or so, but she couldn’t ride it around. What do you guys think?
|
10/3/2020 11:44am
Fresh fluids all around is always a good idea - you have a year for any contaminants to eat away at things. As for the gas tank you want ethanol free gas in there and put a splash of fuel stabilizer in. Run the bike long enough so the stabilized gas runs through the whole system. A full tank reduces condensation and degredation of the fuel so make sure to top it up with fresh gas. Keep it on a stand so the tires don't get flat spots. You could also consider a quick blast of fogging oil in the cylinder.

I live in Canada (originally from Houston though) and have been winterizing/summerizing boats, sleds, bikes, snowblowers, chainsaws, cars, etc most of my life. If you're concerned with the fuel degrading you could always syphon out the stabilized fuel and fill the tank with fresh gas when you go to fire it back up. Draining the complete fuel system on EFI is generally a lot of work (all my bikes are carbed fwiw) and any fuel left in the system will degrade faster as it has much more contact with air.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
10/3/2020 1:03pm
Take that sucker with !
deadlo
10/3/2020 2:39pm
FGR01 wrote:
Take that sucker with !
Haha I wish!
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
10/3/2020 2:51pm
FGR01 wrote:
Take that sucker with !
deadlo wrote:
Haha I wish!
I'm guessing military. Hit me up for tips on taking bike in pieces via duffel bag and APO ! Laughing

The Shop

deadlo
10/3/2020 2:58pm
FGR01 wrote:
Take that sucker with !
deadlo wrote:
Haha I wish!
FGR01 wrote:
I'm guessing military. Hit me up for tips on taking bike in pieces via duffel bag and APO ! Laughing
Hahaha no way you did that?! That’s awesome
10/4/2020 2:15pm
FGR01 wrote:
Take that sucker with !
deadlo wrote:
Haha I wish!
FGR01 wrote:
This is your best bet
yz133rider
10/4/2020 3:14pm
Starting it every 2 weeks or so, running it until the radiators are hot to the touch and giving it a few revs in my experience will keep it happy for the year no issues and no further work needed.

You’ll have to show her how to start it from cold so she doesn’t kill the battery as that will be the hardest part ,show her where to check the rads and just blips of the throttle throughout. Should only take a few minutes total depending how hot it is out.
kb228
10/4/2020 5:11pm
Fresh fluids and fuel stabilizer. Id store it at tdc or bdc as well just to keep the valves closed. Fogging oil is a good idea too.

Dont over complicate it. Dirtbikes dont expire like strawberries.
deadlo
10/4/2020 6:21pm
Thanks guys! Going to siphon out the 93 tomorrow and try to find some ethanol free to fill it with. Any recommended fuel stabilizers? Going to have my wife start it every week or so as recommended.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/5/2020 7:24am
Any stabilizer from the auto parts store. Don’t worry about fogging if you’re going to start it.

The bike will be fine, especially with starting it every 2-3 weeks. Just drain the gas/oil and put in fresh stuff before your first ride.

Keep the bike on a stand, not on the ground.
Rickyisms
10/5/2020 8:47am
deadlo wrote:
Thanks guys! Going to siphon out the 93 tomorrow and try to find some ethanol free to fill it with. Any recommended fuel stabilizers? Going to...
Thanks guys! Going to siphon out the 93 tomorrow and try to find some ethanol free to fill it with. Any recommended fuel stabilizers? Going to have my wife start it every week or so as recommended.
If you can find sentry fuel treatment I would use it. That stuff is magic.
15tc150
10/5/2020 9:46pm
keysersoze wrote:
Fresh fluids all around is always a good idea - you have a year for any contaminants to eat away at things. As for the gas...
Fresh fluids all around is always a good idea - you have a year for any contaminants to eat away at things. As for the gas tank you want ethanol free gas in there and put a splash of fuel stabilizer in. Run the bike long enough so the stabilized gas runs through the whole system. A full tank reduces condensation and degredation of the fuel so make sure to top it up with fresh gas. Keep it on a stand so the tires don't get flat spots. You could also consider a quick blast of fogging oil in the cylinder.

I live in Canada (originally from Houston though) and have been winterizing/summerizing boats, sleds, bikes, snowblowers, chainsaws, cars, etc most of my life. If you're concerned with the fuel degrading you could always syphon out the stabilized fuel and fill the tank with fresh gas when you go to fire it back up. Draining the complete fuel system on EFI is generally a lot of work (all my bikes are carbed fwiw) and any fuel left in the system will degrade faster as it has much more contact with air.
Your living in Canada? It’s kind of a must do thing up here with the crap fuels we are getting from bitumen being refined, get at me in retiming yz250 pv thread, I wanna know where your at
10/7/2020 11:28am
deadlo wrote:
Thanks guys! Going to siphon out the 93 tomorrow and try to find some ethanol free to fill it with. Any recommended fuel stabilizers? Going to...
I've heard of guys removing the ethanol with water if you can't find ethanol free. I've never done it though.
10/7/2020 11:36am
15tc150 wrote:
Your living in Canada? It’s kind of a must do thing up here with the crap fuels we are getting from bitumen being refined, get at...
Your living in Canada? It’s kind of a must do thing up here with the crap fuels we are getting from bitumen being refined, get at me in retiming yz250 pv thread, I wanna know where your at
Yeah been here since I was 3 haha. I'd run AV gas but I don't really feel like storing a barrel of fuel in my garage.
deadlo
10/7/2020 11:37am
keysersoze wrote:
I've heard of guys removing the ethanol with water if you can't find ethanol free. I've never done it though. [embed][/embed]
I've heard of guys removing the ethanol with water if you can't find ethanol free. I've never done it though.
Got some 87 e free. Mixed in some stabil storage stabilizer and filled it up. Ran it for a few mins. Going to have my wife start it every other week while I’m gone.
10/7/2020 11:47am
keysersoze wrote:
I've heard of guys removing the ethanol with water if you can't find ethanol free. I've never done it though. [embed][/embed]
deadlo wrote:
Got some 87 e free. Mixed in some stabil storage stabilizer and filled it up. Ran it for a few mins. Going to have my wife...
Got some 87 e free. Mixed in some stabil storage stabilizer and filled it up. Ran it for a few mins. Going to have my wife start it every other week while I’m gone.
Nice. Sounds like a good wife!

Post a reply to: Storing my bike for a year - what should I do?

The Latest