Steering Stem Problem

Related:
Create New Tag

9/12/2018 6:06 PM

Here’s a weird one: has anyone ever had their steering stem spin freely in their lower clamp before?

|

9/12/2018 7:34 PM

ummm...that is not really great.

|

9/12/2018 7:38 PM

barnett468 wrote:

ummm...that is not really great.

Yep... I’ve never had that happen before, or ever heard of it.

|

9/12/2018 8:53 PM

Never saw it. I'd suspect someone swapped clamps and ran a stem in a clamp that had just a bit too much clearance where it is pressed in.

|

Powerband in every gear !

9/13/2018 12:17 AM

Is this on the new KX500 you have?

Different forks and clamps, correct?

Is it the KX500 stem in the newer forks clamp?

|

9/13/2018 4:03 AM

Lol i dont think thats supposed to happen. Id either get the right parts that fit or try that press fit loctite shit

|

9/13/2018 5:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2018 5:36 AM

KDXGarage wrote:

Is this on the new KX500 you have?

Different forks and clamps, correct?

Is it the KX500 stem in the newer forks clamp?

Yes, its for the KX500. I believe the clamps are actually for a KX500, but the forks are off of an 06 KX450F. I replaced all the bearings for the steering stem a few days ago. I pulled the front end back apart when I found the stem was spinning and put the lower clamp back in the press to see if I could get it to stop. I did it as depicted in this picture (from Applied's website) and its not spinning anymore, but then again, it wasn't spinning when I first threw it back on the bike. I'm not sure what the deal is. My hope is that the clamp itself isn't toast, because I don't think BRP makes the whole set anymore, just the upper clamp.
Photo

|

9/13/2018 9:31 AM

I talked with BRP on the phone this morning (awesome folks). They did actually manufacture full clamp sets for the KX500, but stopped in 2012. He said he's never heard of that happening, but if need be, I could send the clamp back and they could fix it, or find me another clamp.

|

9/13/2018 10:00 AM

CSAR FE wrote:

I talked with BRP on the phone this morning (awesome folks). They did actually manufacture full clamp sets for the KX500, but stopped in 2012. He said he's never heard of that happening, but if need be, I could send the clamp back and they could fix it, or find me another clamp.

"...or find me another clamp."

This is likely the best and safest plan...of course unless none of them had a tight press fit and the replacement clamp ends up doing the same thing.

|

9/13/2018 10:06 AM

barnett468 wrote:

"...or find me another clamp."

This is likely the best and safest plan...of course unless none of them had a tight press fit and the replacement clamp ends up doing the same thing.

I'm hoping I just didn't have the stem pressed in far enough and its fixed now, but its probably not the case.

|

9/13/2018 2:05 PM

Was there what looked like a snap ring on the stem? There should be a small shoulder in the clamp that you press the ring to.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/13/2018 2:28 PM

captmoto wrote:

Was there what looked like a snap ring on the stem? There should be a small shoulder in the clamp that you press the ring to.

Not that I saw, but I will give it a look. Thanks for the insight.

|

9/13/2018 7:57 PM

There is supposed to be a circlip or shoulder.

It keeps the stem from going in too far.

I have pressed out a few KDX and KX stems. It's either a circlip or a shoulder (maybe a combo)

|

9/13/2018 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2018 8:25 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

There is supposed to be a circlip or shoulder.

It keeps the stem from going in too far.

I have pressed out a few KDX and KX stems. It's either a circlip or a shoulder (maybe a combo)

I believe there’s a shoulder. I never saw a circlip when I was changing out the lower bearing.

I got the front end back together today and the stem never moved, so I must have seated it properly after running it through the press again. I marked the stem with a sharpie to monitor it’s movement, if any.

|