Spring rates on the limit - oem/aftermarket and more.

8500rpm
Hello,

I would understand if this topic has been debated to death, but a quick search didn't give me a result so here we go Smile

Without having limitless funds and time, buying the right stuff is of course important.

I'm today on a CRF250R ('20) weigh 180lbs without riding gear, so I guess stock springs rates 4.8 and 52 is on the limit for what it was tuned for from the factory.

My theory is that with stiffer springs I could run less pre-load and thus get a softer ride on the small bumps (initial travel).

BUT, the big question is, the above are OEM springs that came on the bike, if I move to 3rd party, Factory Connection, K-Tech etc. with a small variance allowed in spring rates, is it possible that a 5.0 After Market rear spring would be almost same as 4.8 OEM?

I.e, I guess the big question is, if not possible to try out many springs, is it better to go with a 0.4 increase for the springs (front and rear) and run little pre-load? Is there a possibility that buying new springs with a .2 increase might result in almost no change?

Happy for any thoughts/feedback!
|
12/31/2020 3:02am
Preload affects your ride height but doesn't change the stiffness of a spring. So going up a spring rate to reduce preload won't make it softer on the small bumps.
Valving changes would help the most with small bumps and initial travel/feel.

If you buy your springs from a good manufacturer like those mentioned, the spring rate will be accurate, i.e a 5.0 will be a 5.0.

Get valving done at the same time as springs to make sure you have a noticeable and effective difference.
8500rpm
12/31/2020 4:14am
Thanks Kieran!

My thinking was that the spring action would be swifter/smoother in the beginning of the stroke compared to with more pre-load I'm further down the stroke so to say, but I get what you are saying. Ride height doesn't change stiffness.

Happy new year! Soon 2021!
davidgrip
12/31/2020 7:59am
Preload is an important part of the function of the suspension. You need to check the manual and find the correct range of preload. Most just turn the spring to the desired sag number, but never measured to see if this is in the specific range.
mxryan25
12/31/2020 10:44am
Going up one rate (.2) will most definitely make a difference. Going up .4 will be too stiff at your weight.

The Shop

m21racing
12/31/2020 1:18pm
3 to 8mm preload for desired sag is what I like.
davidgrip
1/1/2021 7:50am
8500rpm wrote:
Hello, I would understand if this topic has been debated to death, but a quick search didn't give me a result so here we go :)...
Hello,

I would understand if this topic has been debated to death, but a quick search didn't give me a result so here we go Smile

Without having limitless funds and time, buying the right stuff is of course important.

I'm today on a CRF250R ('20) weigh 180lbs without riding gear, so I guess stock springs rates 4.8 and 52 is on the limit for what it was tuned for from the factory.

My theory is that with stiffer springs I could run less pre-load and thus get a softer ride on the small bumps (initial travel).

BUT, the big question is, the above are OEM springs that came on the bike, if I move to 3rd party, Factory Connection, K-Tech etc. with a small variance allowed in spring rates, is it possible that a 5.0 After Market rear spring would be almost same as 4.8 OEM?

I.e, I guess the big question is, if not possible to try out many springs, is it better to go with a 0.4 increase for the springs (front and rear) and run little pre-load? Is there a possibility that buying new springs with a .2 increase might result in almost no change?

Link to online manual. Preload specifications.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/784204/Honda-Crf250r.html?page=114#ma…
These settings are not the bike manufacture, but the Suspension manufacture.
aees
1/2/2021 4:54am
8500rpm wrote:
Hello, I would understand if this topic has been debated to death, but a quick search didn't give me a result so here we go :)...
Hello,

4.8 is typically 4.8. should absolutely not be 5.0 just because another brand, it happens but rare

Go up one spring rate, that will be fine. And if you are above 7.5-8mm preload right now you will get a more plush ride over lsc bumps with stiffer springs and less preload. 5-7mm preload is sweet spot.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/4/2021 1:22pm
A suspension tech should weigh in here, but the working man's explanation is that the spring rate is mostly for your body weight. You should run the correct spring for your weight and then make damping adjustments with the clickers for the "feel" you are looking for. (Suppleness, resistance to bottoming, etc.)

When your spring is correct, your race sag (you and gear on the bike) should be set to about 100mm (4 inches,) and your static sag (bike by itself,) should be between 1 and 1.5 inches. If you have to crank down on your spring to achieve 100mm of race sag and then your static sag is zero or less than an inch, your spring is too soft/light. If you run a stiffer spring like you are suggesting but the static sag is more than 1.5 inches, your spring is likely too stiff/heavy.

Post a reply to: Spring rates on the limit - oem/aftermarket and more.

The Latest