Some help with changing a fork tube on CC forks?

3/12/2018 5:57pm
Has anyone here tried it? I'm somewhat decent around a work bench and have the tools to change my fork seals. Is changing the fork tube a lot more work? I already looked for a video on YouTube and couldn't seem to find one
|
slipdog
3/12/2018 6:49pm
What kind of fork?
3/12/2018 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 8:03pm
I assume you are talking about replacing your lower fork tube? Yes, significantly harder than just about anything you can do to your forks. They are often sold with the axle clamp for a good reason as they can be a real bitch to separate and sometimes the clamp's threads are damaged in the process of removing.

Here is a video from Rocky Mountain and one showing the clamp being heated and removed. . Note: I have NEVER removed a lower tube as easily as seen in the video.

Many forks axle clamps will have a peened set screw to keep the tube from unscrewing. This needs to be removed. You will need to apply a good amount of heat to the clamp for a significant period of time to break the thread lock loose. I just replaced a set of fork tubes and could not get one of them to unscrew from the clamp.

Took it to a professional suspension shop and they used a tool with much longer arms attached via the two holes on the top of the tube (Rcky Mtn tech used a screw driver through the holes) with bars nearly a foot on either side for torque to break it loose after applying heat. It took that much force even with heat to break it loose. There was some galling of the clamps threads, but still usable.

So bottom line, yes you can buy some new tubes from someplace like Racetech and probably replace them yourself with the right tools, technique, patience, and muscle. Some come out easy peasy, many not, others still might get damaged. So if you are prepared for that, go for it. If not, either buy a whole new lower tube with clamp or take the new tubes to a professional.

slipdog
3/12/2018 8:17pm
slipdog wrote:
What kind of fork?
WP CC from 14 250sx
WP are among the easiest because they have no set screw to damage the threads when you unscrew them. Just heat them with a torch and they'll unscrew pretty easy

The Shop

3/12/2018 8:27pm
I assume you are talking about replacing your lower fork tube? Yes, significantly harder than just about anything you can do to your forks. They are...
I assume you are talking about replacing your lower fork tube? Yes, significantly harder than just about anything you can do to your forks. They are often sold with the axle clamp for a good reason as they can be a real bitch to separate and sometimes the clamp's threads are damaged in the process of removing.

Here is a video from Rocky Mountain and one showing the clamp being heated and removed. . Note: I have NEVER removed a lower tube as easily as seen in the video.

Many forks axle clamps will have a peened set screw to keep the tube from unscrewing. This needs to be removed. You will need to apply a good amount of heat to the clamp for a significant period of time to break the thread lock loose. I just replaced a set of fork tubes and could not get one of them to unscrew from the clamp.

Took it to a professional suspension shop and they used a tool with much longer arms attached via the two holes on the top of the tube (Rcky Mtn tech used a screw driver through the holes) with bars nearly a foot on either side for torque to break it loose after applying heat. It took that much force even with heat to break it loose. There was some galling of the clamps threads, but still usable.

So bottom line, yes you can buy some new tubes from someplace like Racetech and probably replace them yourself with the right tools, technique, patience, and muscle. Some come out easy peasy, many not, others still might get damaged. So if you are prepared for that, go for it. If not, either buy a whole new lower tube with clamp or take the new tubes to a professional.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Thank you!
3/12/2018 8:27pm
slipdog wrote:
What kind of fork?
WP CC from 14 250sx
slipdog wrote:
WP are among the easiest because they have no set screw to damage the threads when you unscrew them. Just heat them with a torch and...
WP are among the easiest because they have no set screw to damage the threads when you unscrew them. Just heat them with a torch and they'll unscrew pretty easy
That's great to know. I appreciate the help guys
3/12/2018 8:44pm Edited Date/Time 3/12/2018 8:47pm
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. Thank you!
Good luck. I've never worked on a WP fork, and it sounds like they dont have the peened set screw which should make the job much easier. My stuck one had some significant thread galling. I dont have soft jaws for my vice, but just use a couple of pieces of old rubber from a tube. If you can, set the axle clamp in the vice with the tube upright and add a liberal amount of penetrating oil before and during the process. Helps them come out and when the oil smokes from your torch.... you know its hot! Woohoo I'm not a pro, but have done em so you can too. If you get stuck, just go to a pro.
RCF
3/13/2018 8:31am
It's not that hard. if you have a fork seal driver cut up an old inner tube to wrap around the Chrome part of the fork put the fork seal driver on and pinch it in a vice add some heat and a dead blow hammer and they screw right off. the hardest part is not scratching your fork .

Post a reply to: Some help with changing a fork tube on CC forks?

The Latest