Soft front break 19' KTM 350

Panic_Rev
Edited Date/Time 9/25/2020 7:55pm
I'm a little embarrassed I have to ask this question, but here it goes.

I came home from vacation and noticed my fork seals were busted and leaked oil on the floor, so off to the shop they went. While my front wheel was off I had a lapse of judgement and gave the front break a squeeze for no reason at all. Now my brake is soft. Which is most likely my issue?

A. Oil leaked onto my break pads and they should be replaced.
B. Squeezing the front break created air bubbles in the line and should be bled (12hrs on brake fluid).
C. High probability both A&B.

Appreciate the feedback.
|
AJ565
9/23/2020 11:49am
Wrap a tie down around the lever to the grip tap on the brake line from the bottom to the master and let it sit for a few hours. KTM's are kinda known for this problem. I tie my lever to the grip every time I head to the track and when I get there its firm like new.
adam8781
9/24/2020 9:49am
air snuck in from the top, oil on pads. etc. pull cap, push pistons all the way into caliper if any air slipped in at the top itll push it back out. i use a brake bleeder check valve like this

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-hydraulic-brake-bleeder-p

to bleed brakes on the bike, i also teflon tape the threads of the bleed screw/bolt you'd be amazed how easy it is to suck a tiny bit of air into the bleeder threads when bleeding brakes.

all else fails i bleed brakes on the bench, caliper in vice and master clamped to counter to the caliper is higher than master (air rises) i run a honda master with a ss line and 06 yz caliper on my 18 yz450. brake lever is ROCK hard. eery 4-5 rides it loses a bit of feel and i know some air snuck in the line from the top and i start the process all over again.
T-Fish
Fantasy
173rd
9/25/2020 7:10am
AJ565 wrote:
Wrap a tie down around the lever to the grip tap on the brake line from the bottom to the master and let it sit for...
Wrap a tie down around the lever to the grip tap on the brake line from the bottom to the master and let it sit for a few hours. KTM's are kinda known for this problem. I tie my lever to the grip every time I head to the track and when I get there its firm like new.

I use these.
NeedMoto
9/25/2020 7:54pm
Highly likely (A), as I just went through that a couple weeks ago. Not only replace your pads, but clean and lightly sand your rotor. I did, and my front brake is back to working like new!

Post a reply to: Soft front break 19' KTM 350

The Latest