So, your front brake drags, front wheel not spinning free?

I've heard lots of suggestions on how to fix this issue but the best result I have had follows .....

1) Remove front caliper & pads, pump out the pistons as far as you dare before they pop out of the caliper ( I think better to only go 3/4 of the way than have them come all the way out ;-) ). With some spray-cleaner (brake or carb cleaner, or engine start spray) & toothbrush, clean the the pistons so they are clean & smooth.

2) Deglaze the brake pads, just rub them on a concrete floor until any shiny patches are gone.

3) Get some course emery/sand paper and deglaze both sides of the disc brake as much as possible. Then wipe-down with spray-cleaner & clean rag .

4) NOW the main point that transforms the brake; smear some 'red rubber grease' (I bought a small tube from the local auto parts store) around the caliper pistons before you push them back in, you may need a small flat-blade screwdriver to get the grease all around the pistons. Remember to push both pistons in at the same time, as they are almost all the way out, to push on one only would make the other piston pop out, then you've got to clean-up the mess and re-oil & bleed (headache). Once you've pushed the pistons home, wipe off the excess grease left around the rim of the pistons,

Using this method has given me the best results by far, it cut-down the free-spinning drag by more than half, try it and let us know your thoughts.
|
KDXGarage
8/26/2018 4:11am
Why would you use anything other than brake fluid on a piston? I would not.

Depending on age, it may be best just to rebuild the caliper with new fluid seals and dusts seals, maybe even pistons if the ole ones don't clean up.

It's OK to spend some money on something that stops you instead of makes the bike faster. :-)
8/26/2018 5:33am
Red rubber grease is compatible with brake fluids, small plastic tube samples are included with some caliper rebuild kits.

It is drag between the caliper body and the piston that causes the caliper pistons to not retract properly.

Constantly having to rebuild calipers with new seals & pistons does not suit everyone, just saying what has worked for me.
Paw Paw 271
8/26/2018 6:05am
Don't for get to make sure the slide pins are clean and greased as well.

Paw Paw

The Shop

10/7/2018 11:17am
Don't for get to make sure the slide pins are clean and greased as well.

Paw Paw
Yes ! :-) l forgot to mention that, once l lubed the caliper mount slide posts, not only did the drag reduce even further but the braking performance improved markedly, thanks :-)
Tracktor
10/8/2018 2:44pm
And that the slide pins don't have grooves worn in them from brake pads..............great tips though. The KTM mini systems can be a bitch to deal with on this issue.....

Post a reply to: So, your front brake drags, front wheel not spinning free?

The Latest