Skf low friction kit for WP Aer

Jrewing
Anyone used the kit for the airspring rebuild, and does it help reduce stiction.
Also I used a really slippery oil and slickoleum grease in the rebuild of my fox36 mountain bike forks, the difference was very noticeable in small fast frequency bumps. Does WP specify any specific oils and grease that could be substituted for a better product?
|
slipdog
3/8/2019 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 7:36pm
Heard of people using Slickoleum but WP specs the grease as an EP#2 and Slickoleum doesn't meet that criteria so I have been unwilling to try it. I do use it liberally on everything else.
Jrewing
3/8/2019 11:44pm
slipdog wrote:
Heard of people using Slickoleum but WP specs the grease as an EP#2 and Slickoleum doesn't meet that criteria so I have been unwilling to try...
Heard of people using Slickoleum but WP specs the grease as an EP#2 and Slickoleum doesn't meet that criteria so I have been unwilling to try it. I do use it liberally on everything else.
Ill give it a shot I guess.. the air shaft would work hard but how much harder than mtb forks at gravity runs at a mountain bike park I wonder.
Even mixing some Slicko and and EP grease together could make things more slippery?
Have you seen or used the inntek SKF Piston seals?
Also what service intervals do recommend on the air spring?
Sorry for the load of Q’s.
Jrewing
3/9/2019 1:18am
Ha! Just read a thumpertalk discussion on it all! From my mtb experiences, Slicko combined with an oil I was put onto really cuts air shaft and seal friction down and that’s my aim.
Starting to love these forks finally..
bowser
3/9/2019 3:21pm
yes I use the SKF kit, i also use an Ohlins grease with a bit of Ohlins oil. I also got my inner tubes kashima coated, stiction is gone now

The Shop

tp311
3/10/2019 8:15pm
how hards the install? Can I do it in my garage with my limited oil/seal change experience?
bowser
3/10/2019 8:37pm
the install is easy, AER are very easy fork to work on. The kit comes with good instructions on USB stick but basic process is listed below

You need the cap tools - spanner and nut thing to remove base valve (ebay), a heat gun (butane or something to melt the locktight and block of wood with 12mm hole to use as a shaft clamp, 2L 5w oil.

- drain air from air leg
- loosen base valve slightly (via nut tool and spanner)
- loosen top triple clamp bolts
- loosen inner carts slightly (using spanner)
- remove the forks,
- remove the carts from each tube
- drain outer oil and set aside,
- remove base valves,
- drain oil from inner cart,
- remove damping rods,
- remove the little clip that retains the plastic bottom out bumper,
- remove the plastic bit,
- install the cap tool in a vice, install inner cart facing up, heat the lower seal area, unscrew the seal head,
- install SKF seal head (assemble it first)
- reinstall damping side inner tube, fill with oil and bleed air out by cycling the rod
- Install base valve and bleed excess out (fiully bottom the rod with hole facing up)
- install damping cart back in outer tubes, add 220ml of oil and install back on bike
- put air inner tube in wooded block and do up tight in vice
- remove piston seal wear ring and seal
- heat piston thread area and remove
- install SKF seal head (red locktight)
- repeat assembly as per damping leg except before putting air leg back in outer carts I like to fill with air and check for leaks around the seal head and top cap.
tp311
3/10/2019 9:58pm
Yea, I swapped aer cartridges into a set of xplor forks and it was a breeze. Could you give me a link to the spanner/nut?

I was going to order one of these to update the 17 cartridge I have in the xplors to '18 seals and everything.
Bruce372
3/11/2019 3:06pm
With the 2018 improvement in air seal design, I dont know why there is a need to go work skf stuff vs the updated OEM parts
bowser
3/11/2019 4:32pm
I haven't measured it. You can tell just looking at the seal design and feeling the seal material it will be more slippery, even more so than the 18's
tp311
3/11/2019 7:19pm
Oh yea, I got all that stuff. I thought you were talking some kind of combo tool. And anything skf I have ever put on a moto or mtb has been an improvement, so I think I'd take the risk.
Bruce372
3/11/2019 9:11pm
FWIW I have skf seals and air seal on my 2015 rmz450 ssf air and it made a good improvement..... but imo the 2018 aer is good enough for me.

But it's cool you've gone the whole hog and coated the internals!

Post a reply to: Skf low friction kit for WP Aer

The Latest