Shot peening?

Blackjack31
Edited Date/Time 11/22/2019 5:52pm
Anybody ever had their transmission gears or engine cases shot peened? Any benefit? What does it cost?
|
c0ncEpT
11/12/2019 7:19pm
Micro polish and DLC coat
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/13/2019 3:02pm
Look into WPC treatment. It's essentially very small shot peening. Worlds better than REM or polish. You can DLC over WPC if you want the ultimate low friction solution. Cryo won't do anything to smooth things out, it MIGHT make things a percent or two stronger, though. Best bang for the buck with all of the above is WPC.
Blackjack31
11/13/2019 7:01pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Look into WPC treatment. It's essentially very small shot peening. Worlds better than REM or polish. You can DLC over WPC if you want the ultimate...
Look into WPC treatment. It's essentially very small shot peening. Worlds better than REM or polish. You can DLC over WPC if you want the ultimate low friction solution. Cryo won't do anything to smooth things out, it MIGHT make things a percent or two stronger, though. Best bang for the buck with all of the above is WPC.
Have any idea the cost of this? Say I sent in my transmission gears, shafts, and shift forks
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/14/2019 7:14am
LuxonMX here

WPC is a surface treatment to reduce friction via hydrodynamic lubrication. REM is a polishing process, that removes high spots (WPC does that too) and smooths the surface, but reduces hydrodynamic lubrication as a fully smooth surface can not hold oil very well. Can you explain the mechanism that would make REM superior to WPC despite the reduction in its ability to hold oil?

Cryo treatment claims to increase strength and toughness through a full conversion of the austenite to martensite that didn't convert in the heat treatment and aging process. My mechanical engineering degree, admittedly not a material science degree, gives me doubt that there is much to gain from the process. Further, my discussions with Formula 1 transmission engineers, who say they've tested it thoroughly without much, if any, improvement, also gives me doubts as to the advantages claimed. Do you have additional information I may have overlooked?

The Shop

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/14/2019 7:26am
Have any idea the cost of this? Say I sent in my transmission gears, shafts, and shift forks
Full transmission - gears, shift forks, shafts, etc. is about $500
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/14/2019 8:31am
Yes, the point of WPC is that it "disturbs" the surface; that's how it holds oil and why it works. Do you have scientific tests showing REM to be superior to WPC? You can actually do both if you'd like, WPC over REM.

Regardless, I don't have a financial stake in either, just offering my advice.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/14/2019 8:59am
You're really something special... Grinning
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/14/2019 9:05am
You had me at "slipperier", now we're getting technical! Grinning
OldPro277
11/14/2019 10:20am
Luxon MX wrote:
Luxon, don't lower yourself by arguing with him. He's a complete expert on everything and obviously isn't aware of your background. He's already got banned once for being an argumentative moron. I'm actually kind of shocked he hasn't mentioned his days at Kawasaki R&D yet. , LMAO
OldPro277
11/14/2019 11:29am
Dude, I just like watching you self destruct. You are so DAMN good at it. Go back to your Mustang forum or your 3wheeler forum and spout your shit over there !!!.Oh wait .you can't....Tongue . Anyway ,most of the Vital members are just a little too sharp for your nonsense.

Considering your astronomically high knowledge and skill level on 1.) Fuel ratings 2.) 2-stroke jetting 3.) All aspects of metallurgical properties 4.) any Kawasaki R&D subjects 5.) building award winning show cars that bring record breaking prices at Mecum 6.) being a top National Pro on tricycles/quads 7.) pulling holeshots in every moto on your 465 against modern 450's 8.) any other subjects that I can't remember that you've displayed you pomposity on how great thou art. (I'm sure someone else could add a few) my question to you is---why do you keep posting on this forum that apparently only contains low-life persons of such inadequate intelligence ???

Blackjack-- follow Billy's (@ Luxon) advice. Dude knows his stuff. And disregard paradigm/Barnett. He's been thrown out of AT LEAST 3 other forums for doing the exact things he does here.

SLAPAHO
Fantasy
609th
11/14/2019 7:24pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Dude, I just like watching you self destruct. You are so DAMN good at it. Go back to your Mustang forum or your 3wheeler forum and...
Dude, I just like watching you self destruct. You are so DAMN good at it. Go back to your Mustang forum or your 3wheeler forum and spout your shit over there !!!.Oh wait .you can't....Tongue . Anyway ,most of the Vital members are just a little too sharp for your nonsense.

Considering your astronomically high knowledge and skill level on 1.) Fuel ratings 2.) 2-stroke jetting 3.) All aspects of metallurgical properties 4.) any Kawasaki R&D subjects 5.) building award winning show cars that bring record breaking prices at Mecum 6.) being a top National Pro on tricycles/quads 7.) pulling holeshots in every moto on your 465 against modern 450's 8.) any other subjects that I can't remember that you've displayed you pomposity on how great thou art. (I'm sure someone else could add a few) my question to you is---why do you keep posting on this forum that apparently only contains low-life persons of such inadequate intelligence ???

Blackjack-- follow Billy's (@ Luxon) advice. Dude knows his stuff. And disregard paradigm/Barnett. He's been thrown out of AT LEAST 3 other forums for doing the exact things he does here.

you forgot to mention that he raced the 125, 250 and 500 pro class in the 70's.. in between racing pro 3 wheelers Woohoo

he must have raced under an alias tho, his name is nowhere to be found... Whistling

kb228
11/14/2019 7:30pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Theres a reason he was banned before and why he gets downvoted immediately. At least now hes being more civil.

Luxon knows what hes talking about. Hes a good source of information and literally designs tests and makes aftermarket products for bikes. If anyone here has some expertise its him, not us weekend warriors that do this in our spare time.
kb228
11/15/2019 4:11am
If youre as good as you say you are, you wouldnt be on the internet trying to validate yourself to people who dont care and that you dont know.

Your best bet is to make another new account and stop acting like an idiot. Nobodys impressed.
OldPro277
11/15/2019 9:59am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2019 10:26am
I’m so confused haha
Black-- Nothing to be confused about. If you can't/won't take the advice of someone like Billy at Luxon, then I'm not sure what else anyone (that's qualified) can tell you that you'll abide by. I will say this --this cost of any of those treatments will outweigh the benefits for 99% of us . Just like the thread awhile back on ceramic bearings--- effective ? Yes-- costly?Absolutely. Can anyone on here justify the cost ? most likely not. You would need to be running the Nationals or going for a Loretta's championship to justify the cost ,in my opinion. But yet, here I am a 60 yo Vintage racer that does stupid shit like that all the time , so what do I know ,lmao !!!!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/15/2019 12:45pm
I’m so confused haha
OldPro277 wrote:
Black-- Nothing to be confused about. If you can't/won't take the advice of someone like Billy at Luxon, then I'm not sure what else anyone (that's...
Black-- Nothing to be confused about. If you can't/won't take the advice of someone like Billy at Luxon, then I'm not sure what else anyone (that's qualified) can tell you that you'll abide by. I will say this --this cost of any of those treatments will outweigh the benefits for 99% of us . Just like the thread awhile back on ceramic bearings--- effective ? Yes-- costly?Absolutely. Can anyone on here justify the cost ? most likely not. You would need to be running the Nationals or going for a Loretta's championship to justify the cost ,in my opinion. But yet, here I am a 60 yo Vintage racer that does stupid shit like that all the time , so what do I know ,lmao !!!!
Indeed, the cost benefit is pretty minimal with these treatments. You basically have two things to gain - tougher/stronger parts and/or smoother shifting with less frictional losses. If you're not breaking transmission pieces now, then there's no gain from making things stronger, and even if you were, we're only talking a few percent stronger, not 50%. And if you're happy with how smoothing things feel now, then there's no point in doing anything. Any increase in power will be pretty minimal, so unless you're a top guy who's already exhausted the other options and is looking for that last few percent, then there's not much point there either.

Of course you can want to do it just to do it too and there's nothing wrong with that if you have the money! You can combine all things mentioned in this thread if you really want the ultimate, but you'll be paying thousands for minimal improvement. Think of it this way - if doing everything mentioned is 100%, then doing just one thing is 90%, doing another is 99%, doing another is 99.9%, etc. It's a massively diminishing returns scenario. If you're only going to do one, then I'd recommend the WPC.
mxtech1
11/22/2019 5:52pm
The gears have already been shot peened.

The OEM starts with a green forge, machines, case hardens, and then shot peens to relieve built up tensile stress. The material, case hardening, and shot peen are all crucially controlled processes to ensure the finished product ends up with the correct surface hardness to resist fatigue failure.

If you are concerned about making them last, the best thing you can do is keep ALL of the bottom end bearings and sliding components fresh.

A very wise 50+ year drive train engineer at work once told me 95% of the time the "failed" part in your hand is not the part that failed. Rather, it was the weak link in the system that was being acted upon by unplanned forces.

Post a reply to: Shot peening?

The Latest