Setting up Pre 05 A kit shock on my 07 CR..Help?

Edited Date/Time 7/21/2018 3:12pm
I bought a CR250 Showa A kit shock for my 07 CR. I was told by the seller who is a knowledgeable guy that it was for 05-07 CRs but when I got the shock measurements told me differently. I have a longer clevis for the shock but I believe it will still be shorter than the desired length. Shortly before buying the shock I purchased a good condition FC linkage that I want to continue to use so I’m trying to avoid a custom linkage.

With the A kit shock mounted on the bike the bike 1.5 inches lower than OEM. The A kit shock as it sits is 483mm eye to eye so I have a long way to go. The other clevis that I have is almost 1/2inch (ALMOST) longer than the mounted clevis. I think I’ll be giving up my FC linkage!

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome,
Thanks.
|
jaredkeller96
7/20/2018 11:56pm
Do you know what seal head it has?? Most a kit shocks will have a works style seal head where you can put different clips in to make it longer or shorter. See what you have and let me know what color it is and what clips are in it
H4L
7/21/2018 7:32am
I've done the opposite & used a 07CR2 shock on an 03 CR2. The 05-07 shock clevis is about 1 - 1 1/2 in's. longer vs. the 02-04 models if I recall. My advice would be to use the correct clevis so it doesn't affect the handling of the bike. I did the swap about 2010 so I learned they had different lengths.
7/21/2018 7:49am
Do you know what seal head it has?? Most a kit shocks will have a works style seal head where you can put different clips in...
Do you know what seal head it has?? Most a kit shocks will have a works style seal head where you can put different clips in to make it longer or shorter. See what you have and let me know what color it is and what clips are in it
I’ll be away from my bike for a couple days but when I get back I will pull it apart. The other clevis I have is 4 inches long (same as OEM) so what you’re saying makes sense. I’ll be sure to post back.
7/21/2018 8:12am
H4L wrote:
I've done the opposite & used a 07CR2 shock on an 03 CR2. The 05-07 shock clevis is about 1 - 1 1/2 in's. longer vs...
I've done the opposite & used a 07CR2 shock on an 03 CR2. The 05-07 shock clevis is about 1 - 1 1/2 in's. longer vs. the 02-04 models if I recall. My advice would be to use the correct clevis so it doesn't affect the handling of the bike. I did the swap about 2010 so I learned they had different lengths.
I knew that each gen CR was different going into this but though I was getting the correct one. I wasn’t worried about it because I have the longer clevis but it’s not enough. Hopefully I’ll have it figure out when I get it pulled apart.

The Shop

7/21/2018 11:24am
Do you know what seal head it has?? Most a kit shocks will have a works style seal head where you can put different clips in...
How adjustable is the length of the shock? If possible I would like to use the clevis that’s already on the shock because it’s in better condition and to be honest I like it more than the other one. The shock is 19 inches long now and I need to get it to 19 3/4-19 7/8. I have a feeling that’s a tall order without the clevis change.
jaredkeller96
7/21/2018 1:23pm
How adjustable is the length of the shock? If possible I would like to use the clevis that’s already on the shock because it’s in better...
How adjustable is the length of the shock? If possible I would like to use the clevis that’s already on the shock because it’s in better condition and to be honest I like it more than the other one. The shock is 19 inches long now and I need to get it to 19 3/4-19 7/8. I have a feeling that’s a tall order without the clevis change.
Please use mm lol. Eye to eye in millimeters and what you need it to be.
7/21/2018 1:52pm
How adjustable is the length of the shock? If possible I would like to use the clevis that’s already on the shock because it’s in better...
Please use mm lol. Eye to eye in millimeters and what you need it to be.
It’s currently 482mm eye to eye, I need to be at 498/499mm.
Thanks
macz400
7/21/2018 2:46pm
From what I remember, the 02-07 CR250 shock is the same length except the 05-07 shock's clevis is 10mm longer. Not positive though.
7/21/2018 3:04pm
macz400 wrote:
From what I remember, the 02-07 CR250 shock is the same length except the 05-07 shock's clevis is 10mm longer. Not positive though.
I believe you are correct. If I’m not mistaking at least the shafts are the same length up to the later CRFs. I know that the clevis my shock came with is shorter than the 05-07s so it must be 02-04 unless it was used on a 450.

I do have the longer clevis but I really think it’ll still be to short which is why I agree with JaredKeller96. The clevis that is on it now is about 89mm and the longer clevis I have is 101. That leaves me about 8mm short.

My seat height dropped 38mm with the shock as is.
jaredkeller96
7/21/2018 7:41pm
macz400 wrote:
I believe you are correct. If I’m not mistaking at least the shafts are the same length up to the later CRFs. I know that the...
I believe you are correct. If I’m not mistaking at least the shafts are the same length up to the later CRFs. I know that the clevis my shock came with is shorter than the 05-07s so it must be 02-04 unless it was used on a 450.

I do have the longer clevis but I really think it’ll still be to short which is why I agree with JaredKeller96. The clevis that is on it now is about 89mm and the longer clevis I have is 101. That leaves me about 8mm short.

My seat height dropped 38mm with the shock as is.
You can gain 5mm or more I believe if you have the adjustable seal head. Just let me know what colors the clips are if you do have it. I know my showa a kit shock has them and you can adjust the lengths

Post a reply to: Setting up Pre 05 A kit shock on my 07 CR..Help?

The Latest