Sending a new crank out to check true.

FWYT
Let's say you are building a motor and get a complete OEM, or other, crank.

Do you send it out to ensure that it is true? Or hope that it hasn't been knocked around at some point and run it?

If you HAVE sent out a new crank, what were the results?
|
Paw Paw 271
1/24/2022 1:04pm
Have them checked to be sure, always when replacing one. Many new right out of the box will be off with some manufactures being worst. It is a small cost for service.

PawPaw
FWYT
1/24/2022 1:47pm
Have them checked to be sure, always when replacing one. Many new right out of the box will be off with some manufactures being worst. It...
Have them checked to be sure, always when replacing one. Many new right out of the box will be off with some manufactures being worst. It is a small cost for service.

PawPaw
Thank you for the feedback!
kb228
1/24/2022 7:24pm
Some v blocks and indicators would tell you
Rawly
1/24/2022 7:27pm
Have it checked and balanced for sure. I had a brand new KTM that vibrated way too much . The counterbalancer was timed correctly , so I knew it was the crank. Would of had the crank balanced if I kept the bike. You are in a perfect position to do it right now. Let us know how it goes. Be interesting to hear your results.

The Shop

FWYT
1/24/2022 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 1/24/2022 7:50pm
kb228 wrote:
Some v blocks and indicators would tell you
Good point. Noted.

ETA: Just ordered some V blocks to have handy. Already have a dial indicator around here somewhere.
FWYT
1/24/2022 7:39pm
Rawly wrote:
Have it checked and balanced for sure. I had a brand new KTM that vibrated way too much . The counterbalancer was timed correctly , so...
Have it checked and balanced for sure. I had a brand new KTM that vibrated way too much . The counterbalancer was timed correctly , so I knew it was the crank. Would of had the crank balanced if I kept the bike. You are in a perfect position to do it right now. Let us know how it goes. Be interesting to hear your results.
I was actually asking for future reference. I will probably be helping my nephew build a 125 soon.

But more recently, I built a YZ250 and had Boyko here in So Cal do the crank and the motor
is SO FUGGING SMOOTH that it feels electric. It just purrs. That's just sorta what put the thought
of a really well trued crank into my little brain.

Post a reply to: Sending a new crank out to check true.

The Latest