Seat cover tears - what’s your band aid?

1/2/2018 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 6:14pm
Recommendations on the best way to prevent a small seat cover tear from spreading larger? I know once a tear has started, the chance is always there for it to get worse... but like a rust spot, gotta stop the cancer from spreading. Curious to hear how others approach this issue..

|
Chaser503
1/2/2018 3:40pm
Fishing line and needle, stitch it up. Has worked well for me in the past
Squirtlege
1/3/2018 10:10am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2018 10:11am
I'd put some super glue or 5200 adhesive in there between foam and cover ( apply carefully and sparingly, 5200 is nasty shit), throw some masking tape over it to pull tight and flat while drying. Remove tape... resume shredding the gnar.
godog
Fantasy
1555th
1/3/2018 1:32pm
shoe goo....

The Shop

dirtmike86
1/3/2018 5:24pm
Check walmart or somewhere like that for a leather couch repair kit.
1/3/2018 5:34pm
Acidreamer wrote:
New seat cover lol?
Original seat cover from on a pretty mint 1996 CR250 I just got; trying to preserve it Smile

Moto520
1/5/2018 9:02am
Vinyl repair glue. It will work like a champ. Just put a dab on the torn area and it will cure into a barrier and you are good to go.
MotoSeat
1/5/2018 12:16pm
I would pull that cover off and check your foam and base. Looks like the foam might have shrunk a bit and is exposing the base causing a sharp edge to tear the stock cover. ShoGoo or vinyl repair would be your best bet to keep that from getting worse.

Any questions let me know
yz133rider
1/6/2018 10:11am
Acidreamer wrote:
New seat cover lol?
Original seat cover from on a pretty mint 1996 CR250 I just got; trying to preserve it :) [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/01/03/235658/s1200_96_CR250.jpg[/img]
Original seat cover from on a pretty mint 1996 CR250 I just got; trying to preserve it Smile

I owned that cr250 sold it to a guy in nc. Pretty cool to see it on here. Thing ran awesome when i had it. Had plans to clean it up. Needed a shock and a good polishing.
1/6/2018 10:46am Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 10:49am
yz133rider wrote:
I owned that cr250 sold it to a guy in nc. Pretty cool to see it on here. Thing ran awesome when i had it. Had...
I owned that cr250 sold it to a guy in nc. Pretty cool to see it on here. Thing ran awesome when i had it. Had plans to clean it up. Needed a shock and a good polishing.
Whoa! Small world!! Yea, Jason told me he bought it out of PA - too cool man!! But now you have to answer all my questions Laughing What's the story on the bike?? Are you the original owner, did you put the MC kit on it??? How long did you own it for, etc etc etc. Yea I'm honestly really happy with the bike, it rips!! Like you said, just needs a good polish but overall it's in great shape for being 21yrs old. It looks like someone maybe tried to repaint the frame at one time?? I think the subframe is just primer too.. But yea man, as much info as you care to type would be awesome! I'm kind of a geek about knowing the stories behind the bikes I own Smile Thanks for chiming in!!!! The bike has it's forever home; I don't intend to ever sell it.

Yea the rear shock is like a pogo stick! lol.. Makes wheelies scary easy haha... I've been doing my homework and will be rebuilding it myself with either genuine KYB parts or a Pivot Works kit.
yz133rider
1/6/2018 10:53am
yz133rider wrote:
I owned that cr250 sold it to a guy in nc. Pretty cool to see it on here. Thing ran awesome when i had it. Had...
Whoa! Small world!! Yea, Jason told me he bought it out of PA - too cool man!! But now you have to answer all my questions...
Whoa! Small world!! Yea, Jason told me he bought it out of PA - too cool man!! But now you have to answer all my questions Laughing What's the story on the bike?? Are you the original owner, did you put the MC kit on it??? How long did you own it for, etc etc etc. Yea I'm honestly really happy with the bike, it rips!! Like you said, just needs a good polish but overall it's in great shape for being 21yrs old. It looks like someone maybe tried to repaint the frame at one time?? I think the subframe is just primer too.. But yea man, as much info as you care to type would be awesome! I'm kind of a geek about knowing the stories behind the bikes I own Smile Thanks for chiming in!!!! The bike has it's forever home; I don't intend to ever sell it.

Yea the rear shock is like a pogo stick! lol.. Makes wheelies scary easy haha... I've been doing my homework and will be rebuilding it myself with either genuine KYB parts or a Pivot Works kit.
I got it from the original owner. He kept it not that clean but he kept relatively good care of it. Considering its a 96 and in the shape it is overall

He put the graphics and everything on. I just cleaned up what was there. I did no painting. I wanted to pull it down to the frame and really go wild making it perfect.

When i was checking it out he kept going on and on about how fast it was, he said he had some local tuner do some motor work to it and kept it freshened up etc.

I did ride it briefly and it did run really well.

I don't have a ton of info for you honestly. That was a while back also. I reconized the skid plate and red grips and not too many 96s running around like that anymore.

It went from being a 1 owner bike to a 4 owner bike it looks like in a matter of a couple years but im guessing myself and the guy you got it from just didnt ride it.

1/6/2018 11:05am
yz133rider wrote:
I got it from the original owner. He kept it not that clean but he kept relatively good care of it. Considering its a 96 and...
I got it from the original owner. He kept it not that clean but he kept relatively good care of it. Considering its a 96 and in the shape it is overall

He put the graphics and everything on. I just cleaned up what was there. I did no painting. I wanted to pull it down to the frame and really go wild making it perfect.

When i was checking it out he kept going on and on about how fast it was, he said he had some local tuner do some motor work to it and kept it freshened up etc.

I don't have a ton of info for you honestly. That was a while back also. I reconized the skid plate and red grips and not too many 96s running around like that anymore.

It went from being a 1 owner bike to a 4 owner bike it looks like in a matter of a couple years but im guessing myself and the guy you got it from just didnt ride it.

I got the bike from Jason last Sunday, traded him a 1972 Honda CT70H for it straight up. Yea, Jason is like me; tons of bikes, most don't get ridden much. So yea I don't think he ever even rode it to be honest.

Motor work huh??? Yea, I totally believe it.. Wonder if it's just port n polish or what.. So far ive only ridden it up and down my street once, but did have it in 4th gear pinned and yup, shes a screamer! Did you dent the pipe or did the previous owner haha
yz133rider
1/6/2018 11:11am
yz133rider wrote:
I got it from the original owner. He kept it not that clean but he kept relatively good care of it. Considering its a 96 and...

I got the bike from Jason last Sunday, traded him a 1972 Honda CT70H for it straight up. Yea, Jason is like me; tons of bikes...
I got the bike from Jason last Sunday, traded him a 1972 Honda CT70H for it straight up. Yea, Jason is like me; tons of bikes, most don't get ridden much. So yea I don't think he ever even rode it to be honest.

Motor work huh??? Yea, I totally believe it.. Wonder if it's just port n polish or what.. So far ive only ridden it up and down my street once, but did have it in 4th gear pinned and yup, shes a screamer! Did you dent the pipe or did the previous owner haha
I really only rode it in his yard when i bought it but could tell from that the bike ran strong. Went thru all the gears etc. Roll on power was excellent. Ran clean.

No wear and tear from me
1/6/2018 4:18pm
yz133rider wrote:
I really only rode it in his yard when i bought it but could tell from that the bike ran strong. Went thru all the gears...
I really only rode it in his yard when i bought it but could tell from that the bike ran strong. Went thru all the gears etc. Roll on power was excellent. Ran clean.

No wear and tear from me
So are you saying you didn't ride the bike except for the day you bought it??? Out of curiosity, around what year did you buy the bike from the original owner, and when did you sell it to Jason? Can I be rude as ask how much you sold it to him for??
1/6/2018 4:32pm
MotoSeat wrote:
I would pull that cover off and check your foam and base. Looks like the foam might have shrunk a bit and is exposing the base...
I would pull that cover off and check your foam and base. Looks like the foam might have shrunk a bit and is exposing the base causing a sharp edge to tear the stock cover. ShoGoo or vinyl repair would be your best bet to keep that from getting worse.

Any questions let me know
Hey thanks so much for the comment - I've admired your products for awhile! Just got on your website and was impressed at how many of my bikes you actually offer new seat foam for. The previous owner of the CR250 has an extra seat he's going to give me (it's pretty beat up) so I'll definitely order the foam from you for it. I'd order the cover too, but want the 97 style that McGrath ran in 96 (unless you can do that???)

In the middle of this thread I posted a picture of the CR next to one of my Honda Cubs.... I have plans to do a custom Cub; if I sent you guys a complete Cub seat, could you help me with something custom??
yz133rider
1/6/2018 4:57pm
So are you saying you didn't ride the bike except for the day you bought it??? Out of curiosity, around what year did you buy the...
So are you saying you didn't ride the bike except for the day you bought it??? Out of curiosity, around what year did you buy the bike from the original owner, and when did you sell it to Jason? Can I be rude as ask how much you sold it to him for??
Was '16 i bought it i believe sold to jason last year. Sold it for 1500 plus he had to pay for shipping to nc. He had probably almost 2 into it.
1/6/2018 5:44pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 5:45pm
yz133rider wrote:
Was '16 i bought it i believe sold to jason last year. Sold it for 1500 plus he had to pay for shipping to nc. He...
Was '16 i bought it i believe sold to jason last year. Sold it for 1500 plus he had to pay for shipping to nc. He had probably almost 2 into it.
Sorry for asking again, but approx how many hours would you say you put on the bike? Just curious if this 5 owner bike is more like a 3 owner bike

Yea he had the bike listed for $1500 or trade. Sounds like he had the same good intentions for the bike as you did.
yz133rider
1/6/2018 6:14pm
yz133rider wrote:
Was '16 i bought it i believe sold to jason last year. Sold it for 1500 plus he had to pay for shipping to nc. He...
Sorry for asking again, but approx how many hours would you say you put on the bike? Just curious if this 5 owner bike is more...
Sorry for asking again, but approx how many hours would you say you put on the bike? Just curious if this 5 owner bike is more like a 3 owner bike

Yea he had the bike listed for $1500 or trade. Sounds like he had the same good intentions for the bike as you did.
I put about 4 minutes on it.

Post a reply to: Seat cover tears - what’s your band aid?

The Latest