Sand tire questions.

jleews6
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2020 10:59am
I'm getting my bike ready for the first Full gas sprint enduro race of the year and was wondering what everyone's favorite sand tire is. The race is at the GTR compound in Gaston South Carolina. Thanks for any help.
|
sclogger
1/15/2020 7:35pm
Based in Columbia, GTR is where my group regularly trail rides. What time of year is the race? I saw SETRAs on Dec 6th race but that's a long way away.

For GTR I'm not sure a dedicated sand tire is the way you want to go. Trail conditions vary from sandy to hardpack. Not too many roots or rocks to be found.

GTR can be super loose & sandy in some areas in the summer but in winter it stays pretty wet and muddy but traction tends to get better IMO, it's not that slick kind of Georgia clay, more like loose wet dirt because the sand content is so high. The single track can get real tight in some areas but minimal elevation changes, not a single decent hill climb to be found.

I've been running through different tires out there, did not enjoy Battlecross X30's. Starcross 5's hook up nicely in the rear but I'd go wide as you can on the front if you go that route, front has washed out on me a few times. Just moved to a GT216AA "Fatty" up front and had a ride there this past weekend, very pleased even in the corners. About to mount a IRC MB5 Evo 140/80x18 for the back. Just looking at it I'm pretty confident it will be my go to rear tire for GTR, those huge knobbies are going to down through that sand/mud loamy conditions to find the traction.
jleews6
1/16/2020 7:31am
sclogger wrote:
Based in Columbia, GTR is where my group regularly trail rides. What time of year is the race? I saw SETRAs on Dec 6th race but...
Based in Columbia, GTR is where my group regularly trail rides. What time of year is the race? I saw SETRAs on Dec 6th race but that's a long way away.

For GTR I'm not sure a dedicated sand tire is the way you want to go. Trail conditions vary from sandy to hardpack. Not too many roots or rocks to be found.

GTR can be super loose & sandy in some areas in the summer but in winter it stays pretty wet and muddy but traction tends to get better IMO, it's not that slick kind of Georgia clay, more like loose wet dirt because the sand content is so high. The single track can get real tight in some areas but minimal elevation changes, not a single decent hill climb to be found.

I've been running through different tires out there, did not enjoy Battlecross X30's. Starcross 5's hook up nicely in the rear but I'd go wide as you can on the front if you go that route, front has washed out on me a few times. Just moved to a GT216AA "Fatty" up front and had a ride there this past weekend, very pleased even in the corners. About to mount a IRC MB5 Evo 140/80x18 for the back. Just looking at it I'm pretty confident it will be my go to rear tire for GTR, those huge knobbies are going to down through that sand/mud loamy conditions to find the traction.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Its great to hear from someone that actually rides there. I think i might try the GT216AA for the front. If you ride there often you should show up and race. you would probably do well and i promise you will have fun. The course layout is always on point and the format is fun.

SweetDaddy
1/16/2020 10:59am
FL sand track rider here - front Starcross 5 and rear Battlecross X10
jleews6
1/16/2020 5:32pm
SweetDaddy wrote:
FL sand track rider here - front Starcross 5 and rear Battlecross X10
Thank you.

Post a reply to: Sand tire questions.

The Latest