SKF Glide Kit - AER48

CSAR FE
Edited Date/Time 4/6/2020 4:16pm
Anyone installed this kit during a rebuild? Did you feel a significant difference in stiction? I am looking to see if I can get any more comfort out of these forks in the rocks and braking bumps without going all in on a cartridge kit. I am currently running an FC revalve with their AER48 performance kit. The forks are way better with their revalve, but there’s still room for improvement.
|
yz133rider
4/8/2020 5:08am
If you can swing it, go the cartridge and never look back!
4/8/2020 7:07am
CSAR FE wrote:
Anyone?
haven't had personal experience with this, but this kit definitely provides less friction and it will improve the feel of work, but do no expect huge increase. Im also considering to do the same ..

The Shop

CSAR FE
4/8/2020 8:53am Edited Date/Time 4/8/2020 8:54am
yz133rider wrote:
A friend of mine is an Ohlins dealer and swears by their cartridge kit. I guess I was just hoping for a way around it, but I don't think there is. Time to start squirreling away some cash.

I don't think these forks are bad by any means. I like them on the track or in the New Mexico desert I grew up riding in. They work very well in both those conditions. But now that I'm in AZ and its rocky/hard packed, the weaknesses of these forks become glaring. Hopefully I can find a setting in the interim, until I can get some cartridges.
4/8/2020 10:15am
yz133rider wrote:
CSAR FE wrote:
A friend of mine is an Ohlins dealer and swears by their cartridge kit. I guess I was just hoping for a way around it, but...
A friend of mine is an Ohlins dealer and swears by their cartridge kit. I guess I was just hoping for a way around it, but I don't think there is. Time to start squirreling away some cash.

I don't think these forks are bad by any means. I like them on the track or in the New Mexico desert I grew up riding in. They work very well in both those conditions. But now that I'm in AZ and its rocky/hard packed, the weaknesses of these forks become glaring. Hopefully I can find a setting in the interim, until I can get some cartridges.
Well for the average guys it would be completely fine to ride with the existing AER forks and those gliders would be a cost efficient upgrade and in my opinion it would be good enough. However, if You decide to go with cartridges, then I would definitely go for KYB cartridges, ohlins are decent but KYB is definitely the best in business.
4/8/2020 10:17am
yz133rider wrote:
CSAR FE wrote:
A friend of mine is an Ohlins dealer and swears by their cartridge kit. I guess I was just hoping for a way around it, but...

And as you mentioned that you need rebuild, I would just put in that kit and ride with them until next rebuild Smile then you have more time to save some money for KYB Wink
Bruce372
4/8/2020 1:15pm
The glide kit made a big difference on my showas back in the day, but I am not sure how much difference it makes on the AER...

Rationale would be KTM already made a second generation air seal that improved things, plus, the aer is running lower pressure compared to the shows.

One interesting thing, in 2019, ktm adjusted the ratio between balance and main air chamber by increasing the volume of the plastic spacer that holds the air piston. Also, i saw Keefer review of the 2020.5 and they might have moved the position of the bypass on the air cartridge to slightly change the feel and ride height of the fork.

Kind of ironic that the best part of the showa tac was its adjustability, and it was also its downfall.... the aer Imo is good, but lacks external adjustment for fine tuning.

Still, its just a spring and damping and a lot of people think the fork starts with a decent setting that can still be made better
4/8/2020 4:42pm
I have the kit on my tx 300 definitely made a noticeable difference but I ended up getting a ohlins spring conversion and I love it
CSAR FE
4/8/2020 6:48pm
I’m also open to a spring conversion as well, if it gives me more supple action in the initial part of the stroke, and a better front end feel. Everything else about the fork I am happy with. I can swallow $700 a lot easier if I can get mostly what I want out of these forks, in that regard. I’m about due for a suspension service and will probably send them out to FC again anyhow.
CSAR FE
4/8/2020 6:53pm
The MXTech A48-R cap seems like it might help with the plushness I’m looking for too, even though the stiction would still be there.

Post a reply to: SKF Glide Kit - AER48

The Latest