SHOWA Rebound Adjuster

Louie112
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help here on my Showa forks from a 2006 CRF250R. I took the fork apart today to do a spring change. First time ever taking a fork apart so I did a bit of Youtube learning. One of the forks went really smooth. I had another problem with the other fork and the rebound.

I'm not sure what the long rod is called that is connected to the bolt on the bottom of the fork is called, I'm just going to call it the rebound dampening rod for now. When I separated the top and bottom of the forks, that rod slid freely down into the upper chamber and a little oil came out of the two holes on the side of the upper chamber. On the fork that went smoothly, the rebound rod was not able to slide freely into the upper chamber and I don't remember oil coming out of the two holes on the side of the upper chamber like it was sealed.

I put the fork leg back together and it feels like the fork action is working well and it's stiff but the rebound adjuster screw is stuck. When I pulled the rod that connects to the adjustment screw, it looked like it was in good shape and still D shaped, no rounding. What would be causing that rebound dampener rod to fall back into the upper chamber and what would cause the rebound adjuster screw to be stuck?

Thanks for the help!
|
jaredkeller96
9/19/2018 6:31pm
Louie112 wrote:
Hey Guys, I'm looking for a bit of help here on my Showa forks from a 2006 CRF250R. I took the fork apart today to do...
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help here on my Showa forks from a 2006 CRF250R. I took the fork apart today to do a spring change. First time ever taking a fork apart so I did a bit of Youtube learning. One of the forks went really smooth. I had another problem with the other fork and the rebound.

I'm not sure what the long rod is called that is connected to the bolt on the bottom of the fork is called, I'm just going to call it the rebound dampening rod for now. When I separated the top and bottom of the forks, that rod slid freely down into the upper chamber and a little oil came out of the two holes on the side of the upper chamber. On the fork that went smoothly, the rebound rod was not able to slide freely into the upper chamber and I don't remember oil coming out of the two holes on the side of the upper chamber like it was sealed.

I put the fork leg back together and it feels like the fork action is working well and it's stiff but the rebound adjuster screw is stuck. When I pulled the rod that connects to the adjustment screw, it looked like it was in good shape and still D shaped, no rounding. What would be causing that rebound dampener rod to fall back into the upper chamber and what would cause the rebound adjuster screw to be stuck?

Thanks for the help!
free piston seals can be a sign of the damp rod being sucked back into the cartridge. on the rebound pushrod. it can either be stuck fully soft or fully hard. be careful when trying to get it unstuck. try it slowly both ways.
jaredkeller96
9/19/2018 8:32pm
Sometimes when you put the rebound bolt back onto the rod against the nut it’ll go fully closed on the circuit, sometimes it’ll stay fully out/open.

Post a reply to: SHOWA Rebound Adjuster

The Latest