Manual Cam Chain tensioner install 2014 CRF250

3rdgearpinned
8/7/2017 8:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2017 12:39pm
Guys, I ordered a MCCT for my CRF250. I started hearing what I believe is some slap of the chain under small loads while not on big power. Like say cruising to the truck or to the track in the pits. Ive heard of these going bad anyhow so I thought id give it a try to avoid a catastrophic event. Bike runs good, has good power and has 37 hours on it. Is this straight forward or does anyone know of a link that can help? I do all my service but have never done one of these. Thanks in advance.
|
Paw Paw
8/8/2017 3:05pm
IMO you are putting a Band-Aid on the problem. When you start hearing your cam chain, it needs to be replaced as it is worn beyond factory spec's for service life. I have used, but will never recommend the use of a manual chain tensioner.
The factory has wear spec's for cam chains and the auto tensioner will not function beyond that amount of wear.
I suggest replacing the cam chain and using the OEM chain tensioner.

You will never keep your cam chain manual tensioner adjusted as well as the OEM auto tensioner will do on it's own and you will not use the cam chain beyond it's service life and thus may avoid a blown engine.

Paw Paw
jaredkeller96
8/9/2017 12:50am
theres a reason why you only see MCCT on race bikes....the people know what they are doing plus high revving 250 mod bikes its almost a must..put your stock one on and buy a new chain.
3rdgearpinned
8/9/2017 7:39am
Paw Paw wrote:
IMO you are putting a Band-Aid on the problem. When you start hearing your cam chain, it needs to be replaced as it is worn beyond...
IMO you are putting a Band-Aid on the problem. When you start hearing your cam chain, it needs to be replaced as it is worn beyond factory spec's for service life. I have used, but will never recommend the use of a manual chain tensioner.
The factory has wear spec's for cam chains and the auto tensioner will not function beyond that amount of wear.

You will never keep your cam chain manual tensioner adjusted as well as the OEM auto tensioner will do on it's own and you will not use the cam chain beyond it's service life and thus may avoid a blown engine.

Paw Paw
Alright, I called the shop to do a chain. Just hope its not anything else. Hey Paw, is there anything I should ask to get checked? Bike fires on first kick hot. 2nd or 3rd kick cold. No other sounds to mention. Thanks for helping. You always chime in on my posts for help.
Paw Paw
8/9/2017 2:49pm
In as much as you are taking it to a shop....Tell them what it is doing and have them check it out.

Paw Paw

The Shop

3rdgearpinned
8/11/2017 10:18am
Paw Paw wrote:
IMO you are putting a Band-Aid on the problem. When you start hearing your cam chain, it needs to be replaced as it is worn beyond...

Paw Paw
Hey Paw Paw. it was the decompression release mechanism on the end of the cam. When you kick it over or it gets to really low RPM, the weight would do its job and as it started to go dead, it would spin and slap the cam.
Paw Paw
8/11/2017 11:20am
It should not be that way. The spring may be too weak.
Check you tube as I have seen some fixes there.

Paw Paw

Post a reply to: Manual Cam Chain tensioner install 2014 CRF250

The Latest