Rusty Transmission

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2019 7:31 AM

Just checking for anyone who has purchased a basket case engine, that has been rusted over from undesirable storage (usually in a bucket or egg crate). I was eyeing up an early 80's bike that is fairly complete, rolling chassis, but the engine is in pieces and looks like hell. Transmission has a good coating of rust all over it.

Is there any hope for this stuff? Has anyone had to revive vintage parts like this in poor condition and had any luck?

|

5/8/2019 8:18 AM

Getting rust off is hard work. Theres different ways to do it. Vapor blasting, vinegar soaks, some kind of electrical bath process. It depends on what you have to work with under the rust. On tranny gears its got to be really smooth. Any pitting or bumps from oxidation will cause issues.

|

5/8/2019 8:21 AM

There are several very good rust soaks on the market now and the work. With that the trans should be ok.

Paw Paw

|

5/8/2019 10:23 AM

have it tumbled

|

5/8/2019 12:39 PM

I have been looking for some methods that will clean this mess. I’m going to try vapor blasting first and see how well that works.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

5/8/2019 12:54 PM

JMX247 wrote:

I have been looking for some methods that will clean this mess. I’m going to try vapor blasting first and see how well that works.

Photo
Photo
Photo

hand scrubbing is your best bet... vapor blasting is more or less of a polishing/ finish procedure... it doesn’t seem to do well with cleaning large rust deposits or grease/oil (at least mine doesn’t, but I have a fairly fine media)...

|

5/8/2019 12:56 PM

Micahdogg wrote:

Just checking for anyone who has purchased a basket case engine, that has been rusted over from undesirable storage (usually in a bucket or egg crate). I was eyeing up an early 80's bike that is fairly complete, rolling chassis, but the engine is in pieces and looks like hell. Transmission has a good coating of rust all over it.

Is there any hope for this stuff? Has anyone had to revive vintage parts like this in poor condition and had any luck?

as stated above I would say tumble your transmission gears, as long as it’s not too rusted this should do the trick... plus you’ll get the added bonus of the sharp edges being relieved...

|

5/8/2019 7:23 PM

Micahdogg wrote:

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

as stated above I would say tumble your transmission gears, as long as it’s not too rusted this should do the trick... plus you’ll get the added bonus of the sharp edges being relieved...

What media would you recommend for tumbling?

|

5/9/2019 9:37 AM

Micahdogg wrote:

What media would you recommend for tumbling?

Its a special ceramic stone and you have to have the right chemicals to cut and polish. multi step process. takes about a full day. few hours between each process. Then you have to hand pick out the media. Media is not cheap

|

IG @jaredkeller96

5/9/2019 11:14 AM

JMX247 wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo

Heated tank with degreaser like purple power. Let it soak and then hand scrub it with a wire brush and scotch brite. That should get most if not all of that off. Then vapor blasting would be a good choice.

|

5/10/2019 12:35 AM

ouch!

pressure washer to start with??

|