Rusted engine case bushings

Pirate421
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2017 11:53pm
Working on restoring an older Honda. Managed to get the swingarm pivot bolt out after a few hours of soaking in wd. The pivot bolt is pretty rusted so I ordered a new one of those but does anyone do anything with the rusted bushings in the engine cases?

The bike overall is clean but obviously corrosion is the reason the pivot bolt gets stuck. After doing some research it looks like these aren’t bushings I can buy and replace. I always grease the bolt every time it goes back in my other bikes and at least yearly anyway. But this bike is almost 30 years old and I’m not the first owner. Maybe just clean them up good and just use anti seize and grease, or maybe some sort of paint or coating?
|
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
12/10/2017 1:09pm
if you're that worried about it, clean the ID up with some green scotchbrite or extra fine steel wool, and grease well before assembly. Pull it apart at least once a season and regrease (obviously do it more often if you ride in muddy or sandy conditions regularly)
Pirate421
12/10/2017 2:04pm
Yea that’s what I figured. Just from experience,once corrosion is present, even if my swingarm bolt is new the bushings will attemp to weld themselves to it again. Didn’t know if there was a paint or coating besides grease to help stop the corrosion without increasing the I.d. Too much
Acidreamer
12/10/2017 5:03pm
You can get them black oxide coated. Will prevent rust without changing the dimensions like paint would. Getting them out of the cases is where you will struggle.
Pirate421
12/10/2017 5:05pm
Yea I just went out and cleaned them up with some scotchbrite and out better light on them. They actually aren’t too bad I think it was a mixture of wd and rust from the pivot bolt that made it look worse than it is

Post a reply to: Rusted engine case bushings

The Latest