Rust in coolant system

Acidreamer
1/2/2018 8:28am
Bought a 09kx250f project. The metal pipe that goes into the bottom end above the water pump is full of rust and because of that its spread rust throughout t the entire system. The head gasket was leaking so theres also white powder everywhere(mostly in the cylinder). Im going to replace that pipe and rebuild the water pump. I want to run that radiator cleaner through the system to clean it out. You can get it at autozone. I dont really want to split the cases to manually do it. Has anyone used this cleaner before? Any other ideas?
|
1/2/2018 8:33am
Vinegar works as well. I’m guessing the rust is from the impeller?

The vinegar should help break most of it up and clean it up due to the acidity.
Acidreamer
1/2/2018 8:46am
Its a steel pipe that leads to the impeller. Its completely rusted inside.

Are there cooling concerns with vinegar? I was thinking of running the bike and just doing multiple flushes with a cleaner or cheap coolant from azone.
dirtmike86
1/2/2018 11:06am
I wouldnt think you should split the case but id take the engine out and turn it upside down and flush it along with some compressed air. The vinegar will work fine. Ive never used the autozone stuff. Last thing you need is a chunk of rust ripping apart the WP seal. Make sure you flush the radiators good as thats where most of it will get stuck.
Acidreamer
1/2/2018 11:12am
Ill give it a shot. Ill get a pipe cleaner too and run it through the ports to help get stuff out too.

The Shop

a22
1/2/2018 1:06pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Its a steel pipe that leads to the impeller. Its completely rusted inside. Are there cooling concerns with vinegar? I was thinking of running the bike...

Are there cooling concerns with vinegar? I was thinking of running the bike and just doing multiple flushes with a cleaner or cheap coolant from azone.
+1 on the Vinegar, is a great gentle cleaner, also you could add some Bicarbonate of Soda with the Vinegar. Bicarb is great for breaking down any limescale type deposits and similar build ups. Have cleaned many things with vinegar and Bicarb- especially heating/ cooling systems.

'Cooling Concerns'...You may find the boiling point of the mixture decreases by adding vinegar/ bicarb but also this maybe is good, as it may sort of 'boil itself' onto the deposits and help breakdown faster. I mean I probably would not run Vinegar mix with the coolant for too long or too hot but you will see if you reach boiling point by the discharge hose would imagine. As long as you do not belt it for too long and also keep a check on levels etc would think it maybe a great technique for cleaning.
lumpy790
1/3/2018 4:43am
I would take the cooling system apart and reverse flush it chunks could be wedged in the radiators and replace that steel cooling tube with a new one.
1/3/2018 6:33am
Acidreamer wrote:
Its a steel pipe that leads to the impeller. Its completely rusted inside. Are there cooling concerns with vinegar? I was thinking of running the bike...

Not really long enough unless you plan on riding with it haha. You could send a brass wire brush through the tube. Should take off any rust and break things up without scratching or scuffing anything.

Post a reply to: Rust in coolant system

The Latest