Rounded Plastic, Need Help!

SamST
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2020 7:44pm
We recently just purchased an 07 rm125, and while talking off the plastics noticed that the top right bolt in the the right shroud was spinning, we are replacing all the old plastics on the bike so i decided to just cut off the old shroud and the insert inside of the plastic has rounded the plastic surrounding the insert so when i try to spin the bolt the insert spins with it. So far we tried epoxy around the insert and it still spins with ease. What are some other options that i can do? Here are some photos for reference.

|
Wolfey
3/2/2020 5:50pm
This method has always worked great for me. Put your socket on a cordless drill and put the drill in reverse. Keep spinning the bolt and insert until it gets hot enough to melt the plastic. Once hot enough you can use pliers to pull the insert and bolt out of the plastic. Get a new oem insert and jb weld it into place on the tank. Unfortunately I’ve had to do this on almost every used bike I’ve purchased over the years .
SamST
3/2/2020 6:19pm
Wolfey wrote:
This method has always worked great for me. Put your socket on a cordless drill and put the drill in reverse. Keep spinning the bolt and...
This method has always worked great for me. Put your socket on a cordless drill and put the drill in reverse. Keep spinning the bolt and insert until it gets hot enough to melt the plastic. Once hot enough you can use pliers to pull the insert and bolt out of the plastic. Get a new oem insert and jb weld it into place on the tank. Unfortunately I’ve had to do this on almost every used bike I’ve purchased over the years .
Thanks So much, ill give it a shot in a bit, really hope it works
Wolfey
3/2/2020 6:26pm
It will work . You just have to spin it long enough to get really hot from the friction.
SamST
3/2/2020 7:44pm
Wolfey wrote:
It will work . You just have to spin it long enough to get really hot from the friction.
You are right, i got it to work finally, so in a couple days once the weather warms up i"m gonna jb weld it back into place. Thanks so much!

The Shop

Wolfey
3/2/2020 8:11pm
Glad I could pass this along ...

Post a reply to: Rounded Plastic, Need Help!

The Latest