Rotary tool/dremel for cleaning

Related:
Create New Tag

3/28/2018 10:31 AM

Was wondering if anyone uses a dremel with a wire brush/wheel/scotch brite tip to clean their engine cases and frame and how it works for you. I figured it would be a great way to get in all the little crevices. Ive got a wire wheel on my bench grinder that does an amazing job on aluminum. Want to do that same finish to the motor

|

3/28/2018 11:31 AM

I used a dremel with scotch brite discs to clean up the cases on my 150 when I picked it up last summer as they were stained pretty good. I cut the discs from scotch brite pads myself as the dremel specific accessories are crazy expensive for what they are. I started with brown pads, which are about as aggressive as I'd ever want to go, then red pads, then red by hand with WD-40 and finally an SOS pad by hand. Came out great. I don't have any pics at work but if I remember later I'll post up. It definitely beats doing the whole thing by hand, that's for sure.

|

3/28/2018 12:45 PM

Good to hear. I didnt want to spend the money if it didnt work. Since i didnt do a bottom end this year i didnt have a chance to get it vapor blasted. Mines stained pretty good.

|

3/28/2018 1:12 PM

I only use the a rotary tool for the hard to reach areas.. everywhere else I'll use the wire wheel / scotchbrite pad in my cordless drill driver.

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

3/28/2018 2:04 PM

To be honest with you, I wouldn't spend the money on a "real" dremel. I had a nice variable speed one and the thing took a shit after a few months. I've been using a 20 dollar harbor freight one ever since and it's been solid at a third of the price. I figured even if it craps out I'll still be ahead vs buying another dremel.

You definitely want variable speed though.

|

3/28/2018 3:29 PM

Im going to get the HF one and the 240pc kit and give it a shot.

|

3/27/2021 1:55 AM

kb228 wrote:

Im going to get the HF one and the 240pc kit and give it a shot.

How did the HF rotary tool and more importantly that 240 piece accessory kit work out for you?

|

3/27/2021 7:03 AM

Remember that the case will not like the use of a wire brush on them. Use scotch Bright instead with WD 40.

Paw Paw

|

3/28/2021 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2021 9:24 AM

kb228 wrote:

Im going to get the HF one and the 240pc kit and give it a shot.

GreenMach257 wrote:

How did the HF rotary tool and more importantly that 240 piece accessory kit work out for you?

It worked fine. You go through a lot of the rotary attachments. I used little scotch brite wheels not wire brushes. Since then i built my own vapor blaster and ran my engine parts through it. Much better results and less time.

|

3/28/2021 12:05 PM

kb228 wrote:

Im going to get the HF one and the 240pc kit and give it a shot.

GreenMach257 wrote:

How did the HF rotary tool and more importantly that 240 piece accessory kit work out for you?

kb228 wrote:

It worked fine. You go through a lot of the rotary attachments. I used little scotch brite wheels not wire brushes. Since then i built my own vapor blaster and ran my engine parts through it. Much better results and less time.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Which scotch brite wheels did you use? (HF, Dremel, Amazon or eBay)?
Very awesome on the Vapor Blaster...Care to share what you did or provide a link? I would think you could convert a blast cabinet into a vapor blaster, but I am not sure what to do beyond that. Yes, the results are incontrovertible over a Dremel, because vapor blasting is a much more consistent finish in a lot less time. I have seen cases that were vapor blasted then gone over with a Dremel for that brushed aluminum look which is trick!
Thanks for sharing...please share more when you can.

|

3/28/2021 4:13 PM

GreenMach257 wrote:

How did the HF rotary tool and more importantly that 240 piece accessory kit work out for you?

kb228 wrote:

It worked fine. You go through a lot of the rotary attachments. I used little scotch brite wheels not wire brushes. Since then i built my own vapor blaster and ran my engine parts through it. Much better results and less time.

GreenMach257 wrote:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Which scotch brite wheels did you use? (HF, Dremel, Amazon or eBay)?
Very awesome on the Vapor Blaster...Care to share what you did or provide a link? I would think you could convert a blast cabinet into a vapor blaster, but I am not sure what to do beyond that. Yes, the results are incontrovertible over a Dremel, because vapor blasting is a much more consistent finish in a lot less time. I have seen cases that were vapor blasted then gone over with a Dremel for that brushed aluminum look which is trick!
Thanks for sharing...please share more when you can.

The wheels are on amazon. Id probably have to make a video to explain the blaster. Its mostly the same as others builds on youtube

|

3/28/2021 4:20 PM

kb228 wrote:

It worked fine. You go through a lot of the rotary attachments. I used little scotch brite wheels not wire brushes. Since then i built my own vapor blaster and ran my engine parts through it. Much better results and less time.

GreenMach257 wrote:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Which scotch brite wheels did you use? (HF, Dremel, Amazon or eBay)?
Very awesome on the Vapor Blaster...Care to share what you did or provide a link? I would think you could convert a blast cabinet into a vapor blaster, but I am not sure what to do beyond that. Yes, the results are incontrovertible over a Dremel, because vapor blasting is a much more consistent finish in a lot less time. I have seen cases that were vapor blasted then gone over with a Dremel for that brushed aluminum look which is trick!
Thanks for sharing...please share more when you can.

kb228 wrote:

The wheels are on amazon. Id probably have to make a video to explain the blaster. Its mostly the same as others builds on youtube

Cool. Thank you. When you can, please send a link on the Amazon scotch brite pads...There are 100's of those and it is totally hit and miss. I will check out youtube on this Vapor Blaster build...IF you have a link or recommend a certain one feel free to share. Thanks

|

3/29/2021 10:10 AM

Check out prymemx https://www.prymemx.com/products/ultimatewheelpack

They make abrasive wheels for dremels/die grinders/bench grinders specifically targeted to the MX community. Good stuff!

|

3/29/2021 11:39 AM

GreenMach257 wrote:

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Which scotch brite wheels did you use? (HF, Dremel, Amazon or eBay)?
Very awesome on the Vapor Blaster...Care to share what you did or provide a link? I would think you could convert a blast cabinet into a vapor blaster, but I am not sure what to do beyond that. Yes, the results are incontrovertible over a Dremel, because vapor blasting is a much more consistent finish in a lot less time. I have seen cases that were vapor blasted then gone over with a Dremel for that brushed aluminum look which is trick!
Thanks for sharing...please share more when you can.

kb228 wrote:

The wheels are on amazon. Id probably have to make a video to explain the blaster. Its mostly the same as others builds on youtube

GreenMach257 wrote:

Cool. Thank you. When you can, please send a link on the Amazon scotch brite pads...There are 100's of those and it is totally hit and miss. I will check out youtube on this Vapor Blaster build...IF you have a link or recommend a certain one feel free to share. Thanks

Heres the dremel attachments.
AUSTOR 100 Pieces 1 inch Abrasive Wheel Buffing Polishing Wheel Set Polishing Wheel for Dremel Rotary Tool, 4 Grits https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NKRD2S4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_JZGjs2qo9D9Ie

|

3/29/2021 12:53 PM

Thank you coastie44 and kb228

|