Rm125 shifting iszues

nick-mx2000
Edited Date/Time 2/3/2019 8:40am
Video attached. When I’m shifting with the bike off i click down the bike doesn’t shift after numerous trys
|
brody
1/24/2019 6:33pm
Check you clutch the rms had problems with these
If not that its your shift dogs another problem
Its more then likley you need new dogs
nick-mx2000
1/24/2019 6:35pm
brody wrote:
What’s the dogs? I’m gonna post a video to it

The Shop

mwssquad827
1/24/2019 7:13pm
brody wrote:
The dogs are in the transmission and help shift the gears.. my money is this....
nick-mx2000
1/24/2019 7:25pm
brody wrote:
The dogs are in the transmission and help shift the gears.. my money is this....
Can you use a different term other than the dogs? I don’t know what the dogs r
Bruce372
1/24/2019 8:34pm
Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly
nick-mx2000
1/24/2019 8:38pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly
Ok I will definitely play around with it cuz it hits the bottom of the frame Maybe it just doesn’t have enough travel. I’ll cross my fingers hoping it works
RussB
Fantasy
986th
1/25/2019 12:29am
Bruce372 wrote:
What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions too. Either hits the frame if too low, or hits the ignition cover if its too high.

Your gear lever should be about level with the foot peg.

If the problem still occurs, you're guna have to open her up and see what's going on internally.
Paul_Pitzonka
1/25/2019 1:51am
Bruce372 wrote:
I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 3:22am
Bruce372 wrote:
RussB wrote:
What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions...
What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions too. Either hits the frame if too low, or hits the ignition cover if its too high.

Your gear lever should be about level with the foot peg.

If the problem still occurs, you're guna have to open her up and see what's going on internally.
Have u watched the video I sent in? I really hope your solution fixed it
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 3:23am
Bruce372 wrote:
I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...
Damn that’s weird can you explain the symtomd you had
RussB
Fantasy
986th
1/25/2019 3:29am
Just watched it.
Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it?

Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with the other.
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 3:35am
RussB wrote:
Just watched it. Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it? Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with...
Just watched it.

My friend came by to look at it
Got thru all 6 but it was hard to get it
Into neutral and he knows a good amount on bikes and rides if I have the bike on the stand and I pop it into 1 while spinning the rear tire it catches. I’ll make a video today
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 5:15am
RussB wrote:
Just watched it. Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it? Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with...
Just watched it.

My friend came by to look at it Got thru all 6 but it was hard to get it Into neutral and he knows a good...
My friend came by to look at it
Got thru all 6 but it was hard to get it
Into neutral and he knows a good amount on bikes and rides if I have the bike on the stand and I pop it into 1 while spinning the rear tire it catches. I’ll make a video today
Should I do that with the bike off and without the clutch engaged?
brody
1/25/2019 5:57am
still more than likely the dogs
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 7:21am
Can you use a more mechanical term than dogs I don’t know what they r
brody
1/25/2019 7:24am
look up a diagram or an 2003 rm 125 dogs

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 7:45am
brody wrote:

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are
Well I did look up the dogs didn’t see them
dkurtd
1/25/2019 7:56am
brody wrote:

First, check the shifter as has been mentioned. Ensure it isn't hitting the frame.

Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. Rocking the bike back and forth try to shift the bike through all gears without using the clutch. The bike should shift through all the gears. Just spinning the rear wheel and trying to kick it into gear once the wheel stops doesn't tell me anything, the transmission must have some constant motion to shift correctly.

Here is a picture of gears, dogs, and shift forks for your education.
brody
1/25/2019 8:03am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 8:04am
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Suzuki-rm-gear-dogs,1296555

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/962508-2000-rm-125-2nd-gear-proble…

read these than look up 2003 rm 125 shift dogs in google and there is diagrams
move the shift lever and if thats not it you need to tear down the motor and check the tranny
dogs, shift paw, shift slpine and all the gears
Blackjack31
1/25/2019 8:14am
Can you use a more mechanical term than dogs I don’t know what they r
He is talking about the shift forks. The shift fork or “dogs” ride on the shift drum. They are in a groove. If they are bent in any way they will get hung up causing you to not be able to shift. Check your shifter and make sure it’s not hitting the frame. Then check your clutch. And then transmission. Check everything before busting into the transmission because it can be a pain in the butt your first time going into a transmission.
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 8:15am
brody wrote:
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Suzuki-rm-gear-dogs,1296555 https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/962508-2000-rm-125-2nd-gear-problem/ read these than look up 2003 rm 125 shift dogs in google and there is diagrams move the shift lever and if thats not...
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Suzuki-rm-gear-dogs,1296555

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/962508-2000-rm-125-2nd-gear-proble…

read these than look up 2003 rm 125 shift dogs in google and there is diagrams
move the shift lever and if thats not it you need to tear down the motor and check the tranny
dogs, shift paw, shift slpine and all the gears
That link didn’t work.
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 8:16am
brody wrote:

dkurtd wrote:
First, check the shifter as has been mentioned. Ensure it isn't hitting the frame. Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. Rocking the...
First, check the shifter as has been mentioned. Ensure it isn't hitting the frame.

Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. Rocking the bike back and forth try to shift the bike through all gears without using the clutch. The bike should shift through all the gears. Just spinning the rear wheel and trying to kick it into gear once the wheel stops doesn't tell me anything, the transmission must have some constant motion to shift correctly.

Here is a picture of gears, dogs, and shift forks for your education.
https://youtu.be/ehpygMEwX4Y
Ok thanks here’s a new video
nick-mx2000
1/25/2019 8:27am
Just took it for a ride got thru most of the gears couldn’t hit 6th in my neighborhood because it would be too fast so it’s just when it’s off idk y
brody
1/25/2019 9:51am
i think you are spinning the wheel the wrong way
Paul_Pitzonka
1/26/2019 12:14am
Bruce372 wrote:
You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while holding down on the shifter it should engage and remain engaged... also do yourself a favor and get a new counter sprocket... or a complete chain and sprocket kit... if it still won’t stay engaged you have a worn part issue... start simple first... before you go diving into splitting the cases... I would take a look at the shift star and the pawls to make sure they’re engaging correctly... all you need to do is remove the right clutch side half and you can watch it cycle through the gears... worst case you’re out a side half gasket, oil, and coolant; and back at square one... When the dogs are worn out most of the time you end up with a bike that will fall out of gear easily under load...
nick-mx2000
1/26/2019 5:52am
You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while...
You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while holding down on the shifter it should engage and remain engaged... also do yourself a favor and get a new counter sprocket... or a complete chain and sprocket kit... if it still won’t stay engaged you have a worn part issue... start simple first... before you go diving into splitting the cases... I would take a look at the shift star and the pawls to make sure they’re engaging correctly... all you need to do is remove the right clutch side half and you can watch it cycle through the gears... worst case you’re out a side half gasket, oil, and coolant; and back at square one... When the dogs are worn out most of the time you end up with a bike that will fall out of gear easily under load...
Ok so is the star thing where the shift shaft meshes with it
Paul_Pitzonka
1/26/2019 9:25am
You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while...
Ok so is the star thing where the shift shaft meshes with it

Post a reply to: Rm125 shifting iszues

The Latest