Rm125 shifting iszues

Related:
Create New Tag

1/24/2019 3:51 PM

Video attached. When I’m shifting with the bike off i click down the bike doesn’t shift after numerous trys

|

1/24/2019 3:51 PM

|

1/24/2019 6:33 PM

Check you clutch the rms had problems with these
If not that its your shift dogs another problem
Its more then likley you need new dogs

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/24/2019 6:35 PM

brody wrote:

Check you clutch the rms had problems with these
If not that its your shift dogs another problem
Its more then likley you need new dogs

What’s the dogs? I’m gonna post a video to it

|

1/24/2019 6:36 PM



This is the link to a video of the issue
|

1/24/2019 7:13 PM

brody wrote:

Check you clutch the rms had problems with these
If not that its your shift dogs another problem
Its more then likley you need new dogs

nick-mx2000 wrote:

What’s the dogs? I’m gonna post a video to it

The dogs are in the transmission and help shift the gears.. my money is this....

|

1/24/2019 7:25 PM

brody wrote:

Check you clutch the rms had problems with these
If not that its your shift dogs another problem
Its more then likley you need new dogs

nick-mx2000 wrote:

What’s the dogs? I’m gonna post a video to it

mwssquad827 wrote:

The dogs are in the transmission and help shift the gears.. my money is this....

Can you use a different term other than the dogs? I don’t know what the dogs r

|

1/24/2019 8:34 PM

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

|

1/24/2019 8:38 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

Ok I will definitely play around with it cuz it hits the bottom of the frame Maybe it just doesn’t have enough travel. I’ll cross my fingers hoping it works

|

1/25/2019 12:29 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions too. Either hits the frame if too low, or hits the ignition cover if its too high.

Your gear lever should be about level with the foot peg.

If the problem still occurs, you're guna have to open her up and see what's going on internally.

|

@russ_69

1/25/2019 1:51 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...

|

1/25/2019 3:22 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

RussB wrote:

What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions too. Either hits the frame if too low, or hits the ignition cover if its too high.

Your gear lever should be about level with the foot peg.

If the problem still occurs, you're guna have to open her up and see what's going on internally.

Have u watched the video I sent in? I really hope your solution fixed it

|

1/25/2019 3:23 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...

Damn that’s weird can you explain the symtomd you had

|

1/25/2019 3:29 AM

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Have u watched the video I sent in? I really hope your solution fixed it

Just watched it.
Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it?

Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with the other.

|

@russ_69

1/25/2019 3:35 AM

RussB wrote:

What Bruce said. I've made this mistake with my brothers RM125. If the gear lever is 1 spline out it wont shift, works in both directions too. Either hits the frame if too low, or hits the ignition cover if its too high.

Your gear lever should be about level with the foot peg.

If the problem still occurs, you're guna have to open her up and see what's going on internally.

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Have u watched the video I sent in? I really hope your solution fixed it

RussB wrote:

Just watched it.
Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it?

Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with the other.

My friend came by to look at it
Got thru all 6 but it was hard to get it
Into neutral and he knows a good amount on bikes and rides if I have the bike on the stand and I pop it into 1 while spinning the rear tire it catches. I’ll make a video today

|

1/25/2019 5:15 AM

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Have u watched the video I sent in? I really hope your solution fixed it

RussB wrote:

Just watched it.
Do you have the same issue when you actually ride it?

Try spinning the wheel constantly by hand then shift into gears with the other.

nick-mx2000 wrote:

My friend came by to look at it
Got thru all 6 but it was hard to get it
Into neutral and he knows a good amount on bikes and rides if I have the bike on the stand and I pop it into 1 while spinning the rear tire it catches. I’ll make a video today

Should I do that with the bike off and without the clutch engaged?

|

1/25/2019 5:57 AM

still more than likely the dogs

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/25/2019 7:21 AM

Can you use a more mechanical term than dogs I don’t know what they r

|

1/25/2019 7:24 AM

look up a diagram or an 2003 rm 125 dogs

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/25/2019 7:45 AM

brody wrote:

look up a diagram or an 2003 rm 125 dogs

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are

Well I did look up the dogs didn’t see them

|

1/25/2019 7:56 AM

brody wrote:

look up a diagram or an 2003 rm 125 dogs

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Well I did look up the dogs didn’t see them

First, check the shifter as has been mentioned. Ensure it isn't hitting the frame.

Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. Rocking the bike back and forth try to shift the bike through all gears without using the clutch. The bike should shift through all the gears. Just spinning the rear wheel and trying to kick it into gear once the wheel stops doesn't tell me anything, the transmission must have some constant motion to shift correctly.

Here is a picture of gears, dogs, and shift forks for your education. Photo

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

1/25/2019 8:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/25/2019 8:04 AM

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Suzuki-rm-gear-dogs,1296555


https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/962508-2000-rm-125-2nd-gear-problem/

read these than look up 2003 rm 125 shift dogs in google and there is diagrams
move the shift lever and if thats not it you need to tear down the motor and check the tranny
dogs, shift paw, shift slpine and all the gears

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/25/2019 8:14 AM

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Can you use a more mechanical term than dogs I don’t know what they r

He is talking about the shift forks. The shift fork or “dogs” ride on the shift drum. They are in a groove. If they are bent in any way they will get hung up causing you to not be able to shift. Check your shifter and make sure it’s not hitting the frame. Then check your clutch. And then transmission. Check everything before busting into the transmission because it can be a pain in the butt your first time going into a transmission.

|

1/25/2019 8:15 AM

brody wrote:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Suzuki-rm-gear-dogs,1296555


https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/962508-2000-rm-125-2nd-gear-problem/

read these than look up 2003 rm 125 shift dogs in google and there is diagrams
move the shift lever and if thats not it you need to tear down the motor and check the tranny
dogs, shift paw, shift slpine and all the gears

That link didn’t work.

|

1/25/2019 8:16 AM

brody wrote:

look up a diagram or an 2003 rm 125 dogs

i would not recommend tearing into this motor if you dont know what the dogs are

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Well I did look up the dogs didn’t see them

dkurtd wrote:

First, check the shifter as has been mentioned. Ensure it isn't hitting the frame.

Take the bike off the stand and sit on it. Rocking the bike back and forth try to shift the bike through all gears without using the clutch. The bike should shift through all the gears. Just spinning the rear wheel and trying to kick it into gear once the wheel stops doesn't tell me anything, the transmission must have some constant motion to shift correctly.

Here is a picture of gears, dogs, and shift forks for your education. Photo


Ok thanks here’s a new video
|

1/25/2019 8:27 AM

Just took it for a ride got thru most of the gears couldn’t hit 6th in my neighborhood because it would be too fast so it’s just when it’s off idk y

|

1/25/2019 9:51 AM

i think you are spinning the wheel the wrong way

|


Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

1/25/2019 10:58 AM

brody wrote:

i think you are spinning the wheel the wrong way

I am not.

|

1/26/2019 12:14 AM

Bruce372 wrote:

Before you take the engine apart, move the shifter one spline down.... this was a common problem when people installed the shifter incorrectly

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Damn that’s weird can you explain the symtomd you had

You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while holding down on the shifter it should engage and remain engaged... also do yourself a favor and get a new counter sprocket... or a complete chain and sprocket kit... if it still won’t stay engaged you have a worn part issue... start simple first... before you go diving into splitting the cases... I would take a look at the shift star and the pawls to make sure they’re engaging correctly... all you need to do is remove the right clutch side half and you can watch it cycle through the gears... worst case you’re out a side half gasket, oil, and coolant; and back at square one... When the dogs are worn out most of the time you end up with a bike that will fall out of gear easily under load...

|

1/26/2019 5:52 AM

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

I agree with this...I owned a new 2002 RM125 where this was the problem straight from the showroom...

nick-mx2000 wrote:

Damn that’s weird can you explain the symtomd you had

Paul_Pitzonka wrote:

You would know... it was a case where the shifter was blatantly hiting the frame... I took a look at your video... rotate the wheel while holding down on the shifter it should engage and remain engaged... also do yourself a favor and get a new counter sprocket... or a complete chain and sprocket kit... if it still won’t stay engaged you have a worn part issue... start simple first... before you go diving into splitting the cases... I would take a look at the shift star and the pawls to make sure they’re engaging correctly... all you need to do is remove the right clutch side half and you can watch it cycle through the gears... worst case you’re out a side half gasket, oil, and coolant; and back at square one... When the dogs are worn out most of the time you end up with a bike that will fall out of gear easily under load...

Ok so is the star thing where the shift shaft meshes with it

|