Riders with A-kit Suspension Experience - Which Brand of A-kit Do You Prefer and Why?

Rider 5280
1/18/2021 9:20am
Question:
For those of you riders who have experience with at least 2 different brands of A-kit suspensions (KYB, MX Tech, Ohlins, SHOWA, WP), I'd like to hear your comparisons of the setups you have experience with, the pros & cons of each, your riding conditions, and your skill level + preferences (some like plush, some like a "dead" feeling, etc.).

I am *not* trying to decide which brand to purchase right now, but rather to understand what setups work best for different types of riders and terrain for a later purchase consideration.

While I am clear on the fact that a tuner can make all the difference, I also am of the impression that each brand tends to have specific characteristics (e.g. KYB SSS seems to be ~ universally liked and easy to set up). It's this latter piece that I'm very interested in understanding: the specific characteristics.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-------------------------------
I posted this question 2 times yesterday and got a bunch of downvotes, I was feeling bad for something I asked/said unknowingly, so I deleted the posts. After a night of sleep, I still think this is a good question that many of us would like to hear inputs on, so I'll take the negativity in hopes of getting some good feedback.

To the downvoters, I am sorry for whatever angst this question brings. I truly don't get it but am not trying to offend anyone.
|
Tuna
1/18/2021 9:41am
Rider 5280 wrote:
Question: For those of you riders who have experience with at least 2 different brands of A-kit suspensions (KYB, MX Tech, Ohlins, SHOWA, WP), I'd like...
Question:
For those of you riders who have experience with at least 2 different brands of A-kit suspensions (KYB, MX Tech, Ohlins, SHOWA, WP), I'd like to hear your comparisons of the setups you have experience with, the pros & cons of each, your riding conditions, and your skill level + preferences (some like plush, some like a "dead" feeling, etc.).

I am *not* trying to decide which brand to purchase right now, but rather to understand what setups work best for different types of riders and terrain for a later purchase consideration.

While I am clear on the fact that a tuner can make all the difference, I also am of the impression that each brand tends to have specific characteristics (e.g. KYB SSS seems to be ~ universally liked and easy to set up). It's this latter piece that I'm very interested in understanding: the specific characteristics.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I posted this question 2 times yesterday and got a bunch of downvotes, I was feeling bad for something I asked/said unknowingly, so I deleted the posts. After a night of sleep, I still think this is a good question that many of us would like to hear inputs on, so I'll take the negativity in hopes of getting some good feedback.

To the downvoters, I am sorry for whatever angst this question brings. I truly don't get it but am not trying to offend anyone.
Fuck the downvotes, who cares. Nothing wrong with your question.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
1/18/2021 11:05am
While I don’t have experience with anything but mx tech. Keefer has talked about it some. I’m paraphrasing here but from memory he says the kyb feels like it moves in the stroke easier while the showa feels stiffer/deader feeling
ben5020
1/18/2021 5:23pm
Kyb a kit here and love it! Very very good in small chop and will not freaking bottom ever! I’ve been told conevalves feel the best the faster and more aggressive you ride not so comfy at slower speeds.
prida28
1/20/2021 1:30pm
I have had both Ohlins and KYB a-kit on both a 17 FC450 and my 19 FC450.

First, they are both great. Are they worth the money? I will let everyone make their own judgement. It’s not where I would spend my rent money, but if you have the funds and desire to try something, go for it.

The Ohlins is super plush, well balanced and works well in a lot of different riding. I will admit the Ohlins seems to work better on the small chop. I totally understand why Ohlins seems to be more popular in enduro type riding where comfort is preferred over performance.

The KYB is really progressive. The harder I ride, the better it works. It’s a little pickier on track setup. I feel like I could chase “comfort” on different tracks with the clickers. The rougher (big, knarly stuff) the better it works. Totally agree with previous comment around it has much better bottom resistance than my Ohlins. The only other comment I will make about the KYB is that it is EXTREMELY predictable. It does the same thing every time. It’s a confidence booster!

If I had to choose, I would say the KYB for the bottom resistance and the predictability. Though I would be happy with either.

The Shop

erik_94COBRA
1/20/2021 3:19pm
It's a good question really. If we aren't swapping notes to get a better riding experience, what's the point of coming here anyways?

Two data points with WP Cone Valves and Trax shock for me. Had some time with the latest CV/Trax setup by Powerband on a '19 KTM 450 SXF (comparison setup is stock and stock kit revalved by Enzo). Also have time with the latest CV/Trax setup by Enzo on my '17 Husky TC250 (comparison is stock and WP CC spring forks/revalved shock setup by Enzo).

Without writing an essay, I'll say that for my usage (Vet MX/track only) I like the feel of spring forks, shim and piston fork damping, and a shock with a bladder (vs piston). I think you can get any A-kit setup this way now with the right tuner.

I like spring forks for the improved corner feel over air forks. I like the corner feel a shim and piston provides over the cone valve/seat. I like the feel of a shock with a bladder in the reservoir over a piston.

To note, any modern set of suspension should be able to provide adequate ride height and damping for specific conditions, and have an acceptable amount of adjustability. The A-kit offerings seem to me to really only offer more adjustments and maybe improvements in specific areas.
Rider 5280
1/22/2021 8:11am Edited Date/Time 1/22/2021 12:29pm
This ^^^ feedback is EXACTLY what I was hoping to see.

For example, erik_94COBRA and I have dialogued over the years and his interpretations of bike feel are so similar to how I think, it's like I got to ride his Cone Valves! So useful.

*** Much appreciated fellas, keep it coming! ***

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I plan to write up my comparison of 2020 KYB A-kit spring forks to ~ 2017 KYB PSF1 A-kit air forks side-by-side when it warms up here in CO. Just haven't had the chance, so stay tuned.

P.P.S. I am currently of the mindset that Neken SFS Air clamps are "A-kit makers" for forks. I think I'll be starting with these on most bikes from here forward because I've found them so effective and much less $$$ than complete A-kit forks. If they updated these to be the split-clamp design (like Luxon, XTrig, etc), I think their sales would go through the roof. More to come on that as I work out my thoughts/testing.

P.P.P.S. I also have been toying with XC Gear's Make360 (paired with A-kit forks). Impressive. While these don't quite do what the Neken SFS clamps do, they do some other things that are quite beneficial. Also, the company owner Lance was outstanding to work with. I'll have more to say on these after some longer-term testing.

P.P.P.P.S. I am only a Vet B/C rider (with occasional flashes of A-level performance, but only for a few laps), so remember my lack of speed biases my feedback. The farthest I've ever jumped is probably only 100ish feet and I've never (knowingly) done a triple. But I have raced and ridden 1000s of hours. FYI.

Post a reply to: Riders with A-kit Suspension Experience - Which Brand of A-kit Do You Prefer and Why?

The Latest