Revalving front forks only? leaving rear stock?

fourfourone
torn between what to do.

My 17 yz450f needs to have the front fork seals done. Bike only has 25 hours but the right side started slowly leaking about a month ago. I tried cleaning the oil seal, it helped but it still leaves to the lower fork tubes wet with oil after compressing the forks.

Anyway. I called Factory Connection. and got a quote to refresh my front forks. This included new seals, oil and bushings. I have had them re valve 2 other bikes and have always had good results. While getting the price quote asked how much extra to do a re valve while they were in there. It would only cost me an extra $140 to do there revalve service. Due to the factory springs being proper for my weight and ability it helps reduce the cost.

To keep cost down does it make sense to just re valve the front and leave the rear stock considering I have the correct spring rates? Will I see a real benefit having the front done?

|
kb228
11/28/2018 11:57am
I mean you can at least get it serviced. Thats key to good performance. Unless you have a list of things you want to make better with your shock i wouldnt worry about it.
fourfourone
11/28/2018 12:01pm
I really cant complain about the rear of the bike. If anything the front fork could be a bit more plusher thought rough chop.
Monk
11/28/2018 12:04pm
Get them revalved. Considering its only $140 more (sounds like just a shim shuffle?) it will be the cheaper option over the long run. When your shock is ready to be serviced, get it revalved at the same time also.. The suspension won't be mismatched to the point of making the bike unrideable.
AJ565
11/28/2018 12:55pm
I had my front forks revalved and even switched to cone valves with the stock rear shock. Granted the KTM rear shock is amazing from the factory, but if the bike is balanced and the rear is working good then it's not a must do kinda thing.

The Shop

colvin227
11/28/2018 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2018 5:54pm
If the bike is fine the way it is and your comfortable with it then leave it as it is and just go with the service. I would instead save the revalve money and have the rear shock serviced instead at the same time as the forks. At 25 hrs it’s likely well due anyhow front and back......your money my man but don’t forget about that shock at 25hrs that oil should be changed
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
11/28/2018 7:52pm
There are several good videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to service your own KYB forks. I know it can seem daunting if you’ve never torn into your forks before but if you just follow along with the videos, literally anyone can do it. Not to mention the money you’ll save over the long run.
mxb2
11/28/2018 8:47pm
colvin227 wrote:
If the bike is fine the way it is and your comfortable with it then leave it as it is and just go with the service...
If the bike is fine the way it is and your comfortable with it then leave it as it is and just go with the service. I would instead save the revalve money and have the rear shock serviced instead at the same time as the forks. At 25 hrs it’s likely well due anyhow front and back......your money my man but don’t forget about that shock at 25hrs that oil should be changed
X2 service the rear.
fourfourone
11/29/2018 4:49am
I think the last 2 bikes I owned went at least 50+ hours without servicing the front or rear. Looks like all the rear would need is a fluid exchange at this point.
kb228
11/29/2018 4:54am
SPYGUY wrote:
There are several good videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to service your own KYB forks. I know it can seem daunting...
There are several good videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to service your own KYB forks. I know it can seem daunting if you’ve never torn into your forks before but if you just follow along with the videos, literally anyone can do it. Not to mention the money you’ll save over the long run.
This. Servicing forks is really easy. The shock is too, but you need to have it charged with nitrogen.

For my 09 kx450 kyb suspension, i noticed my forks softening at about 15 hours due to breakdown.
fourfourone
11/29/2018 4:58am
Ive looked up how to do it and I work with a few older guys that ride and who know suspension very well but I trust FC. I also like their trackside support. I have used it a few times.
kb228
11/29/2018 4:59am
SPYGUY wrote:
There are several good videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to service your own KYB forks. I know it can seem daunting...
This. Servicing forks is really easy. The shock is too, but you need to have it charged with nitrogen.
colvin227
11/29/2018 12:57pm
Ive looked up how to do it and I work with a few older guys that ride and who know suspension very well but I trust...
Ive looked up how to do it and I work with a few older guys that ride and who know suspension very well but I trust FC. I also like their trackside support. I have used it a few times.
Oh yeah FC customer support is excellent and they do a great job with everything they do. Fresh oil and bushings/seals in the forks, and fresh oil and nitrogen in the shock will have that bike feeling great and FRESH.

Post a reply to: Revalving front forks only? leaving rear stock?

The Latest