Revalved AER vs alternatives

erik_94COBRA
Debating what to do with the forks on my '19 KTM 450 SXF. The stock AER forks work good in some areas and leaves a lot to be desired in others.

Would like to hear people's experiences with their revalved AER forks. I have had a set of WP Closed Chamber forks setup for my '17 Husky TC250 and they are great, but I didn't get to try out the AER after a revalve.

Trying to decide between having the AERs worked over ($$), having the WP CC forks setup for the 450 ($$), or opening my wallet and getting the KYB AOS inserts ($$$$).

Thoughts?

|
fourfourone
4/18/2019 11:13am
How fast are you?

I rode a friends 350sxf with Factory Connection re valved AERs. He spent $$$$ to get them done but man that suspension was amazing. The bike was a couch like surgical tool if that makes sense. Float through chop and rough stuff but cornered like it was on rails. To be honest it blew my yz450f with race tech suspension out of the water.
AJ565
4/18/2019 11:31am
The revalve really helps them. Before I had mine revalved they would almost bottom out going into fast braking bumps. After they would use about half the stroke and didn't feel as harsh since they were higher up in the travel. If you're not in a hurry get them revalved and keep an eye out for deals on CV or a spring conversion.
dmm698
4/18/2019 12:02pm
Debating what to do with the forks on my '19 KTM 450 SXF. The stock AER forks work good in some areas and leaves a lot...
Debating what to do with the forks on my '19 KTM 450 SXF. The stock AER forks work good in some areas and leaves a lot to be desired in others.

Would like to hear people's experiences with their revalved AER forks. I have had a set of WP Closed Chamber forks setup for my '17 Husky TC250 and they are great, but I didn't get to try out the AER after a revalve.

Trying to decide between having the AERs worked over ($$), having the WP CC forks setup for the 450 ($$), or opening my wallet and getting the KYB AOS inserts ($$$$).

Thoughts?

I have a set of forks removed from my 2013 yz250. 500 bucks plus the ride, should be a good start to converting your forks with KYB internals if you decided to go that route.
erik_94COBRA
4/18/2019 2:04pm
I'm a vet intermediate. Faster than total noobs, not as fast as fast old guys.

I may try the revalve to start and then change if not what I want.

The Shop

yz133rider
4/18/2019 2:45pm
If it were me id look for a clean set of kyb, ohlins, or cv's. Pretty sure turbojez has a set of kybs for ktms in the bazaar. Id get them and not look back.
Jrewing
4/18/2019 3:34pm
Mxtech lucky system seems a good value option
Dexter
4/18/2019 3:55pm
I put a Krooztune piston in my AER on a TC250, far, far better but it should be difficult to make it worse than before as there was no compression shims on the mid valve, not even the bevel washer like on the KTM 2t, the fork was blowing through the stroke bad whatever the pressure or compression setting.

I would have done a Factory Connection re valve if I were in the US.
mx317
4/18/2019 4:19pm
You are in Texas, so Craig at Enzo can fix you up with a spring kit and revalve. He can do just the revalve if you want to keep the air. He does the KYB internals if you want to go that route, but he suggested the spring kit and revalve over that for less money.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1957th
4/19/2019 3:17am
We just installed Dal Soggio Sphere cartridges in our 18 FE. Totally different bike! Bike handles so much better.
mx317
4/19/2019 5:51am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
We just installed Dal Soggio Sphere cartridges in our 18 FE. Totally different bike! Bike handles so much better.
I have heard nothing but good things about those.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/19/2019 7:00am
I liked mine stock and then had Enzo revalve and like the suspension even more, as expected!
navalseabee
4/19/2019 7:31am
FC has done 2 of mine with their AER performance kit, I have been very pleased, it's a vast improvement over stock. I will say I rode a friend's '19 450sxf with full Ohlins setup and it was more than phenomenal. The Ohlins stuff resisted bottoming like nothing else I've ridden yet was so supple through the chop it was like it wasn't even on the track. I found the Ohlins to provide much better front wheel feedback compared to the AER stuff even with the revalve.

If I had the coin and was going to stay KTM for a while the Ohlins would be my choice.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
4/19/2019 8:07am
If I had AER, I would do spring conversion, KYB conversion or Cone Valve forks depending on budget.
MotoMatt_928
4/19/2019 9:15am
I had re-valved AER's, and settled on MX-Tech's Lucky system. Absolutely love the forks now. Vet rider, MX and woods.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/19/2019 10:11am
Just throw my experience in.

I was considering Factory Connection or KREFT Moto. I went with KREFT because for some reason I like companies that specialize. They only do WP.

You have a 17 (like me), so you have to get the upgrade kit. I went with the upgrade components and the micro polish on the tubes and shock shaft.

Very pleased! Plush, almost feels too soft. But the bottoming resistance is there and turns better, couldn't ask for much else really. If for some reason the need for the revalve adjustment gizmo comes up, I'll be dialed in.

seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/19/2019 10:43am
Markee wrote:
Just throw my experience in. I was considering Factory Connection or KREFT Moto. I went with KREFT because for some reason I like companies that specialize...
Just throw my experience in.

I was considering Factory Connection or KREFT Moto. I went with KREFT because for some reason I like companies that specialize. They only do WP.

You have a 17 (like me), so you have to get the upgrade kit. I went with the upgrade components and the micro polish on the tubes and shock shaft.

Very pleased! Plush, almost feels too soft. But the bottoming resistance is there and turns better, couldn't ask for much else really. If for some reason the need for the revalve adjustment gizmo comes up, I'll be dialed in.

My original plan was to go with Kreft, system seems awesome and I'd still like to try it someday.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
4/20/2019 5:16am
seth505 wrote:
My original plan was to go with Kreft, system seems awesome and I'd still like to try it someday.
Yeah the Revalve Control seems like an impressive system. More than likely on the next service I'll add RC in. Had never used their stuff before, didn't really feel comfortable going all in, its not cheap.

I'm not the customer that enjoys to be weighted on and the attention, But Kreft defiantly didn't treat me like a number.

On another note, I added the Devol adjustable link, I'm on the number 2 setting. Rear is pretty planted now during breaking.
4/20/2019 3:05pm
I have KYB internals in my AER fork tubes on my 2019 ktm 250sxf. Mine are absolutely amazing and came from Technical Touch in Belgium.
jeffro503
4/20/2019 4:17pm
Cost on a set of KYB inserts for the AER 48's?? Place to buy them?

I'm wondering if I go this route , and take it all to FC to have the shock re-valved , along with putting the KYB inserts in is a good idea? I was literally coming here to start a thread just like Erik did , but he beat me to it.
jeffro503
4/20/2019 4:24pm
Technical touch looks to be about $1500.00 I think. The FC and PC conversion's are for just the air side , and it looks like the KYB inserts do both. Why does the kit come with a set of lower lugs?
NeedMoto
4/20/2019 5:03pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Technical touch looks to be about $1500.00 I think. The FC and PC conversion's are for just the air side , and it looks like the...
Technical touch looks to be about $1500.00 I think. The FC and PC conversion's are for just the air side , and it looks like the KYB inserts do both. Why does the kit come with a set of lower lugs?
No reason at all that you need those lugs that come with the kit. I'll take them off your hands, and won't even charge youWhistling

All kidding aside, I have two buddy's that bought the KYB kit from Technical touch for there 2018 AER forks.

There extremely happy with the results. Said they would got the same route again if needed. And these old bastards are pickyWink
blaze 57
4/20/2019 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/20/2019 5:15pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Technical touch looks to be about $1500.00 I think. The FC and PC conversion's are for just the air side , and it looks like the...
NeedMoto wrote:
No reason at all that you need those lugs that come with the kit. I'll take them off your hands, and won't even charge you:whistle: All...
No reason at all that you need those lugs that come with the kit. I'll take them off your hands, and won't even charge youWhistling

All kidding aside, I have two buddy's that bought the KYB kit from Technical touch for there 2018 AER forks.

There extremely happy with the results. Said they would got the same route again if needed. And these old bastards are pickyWink
Those lugs that come with the KYB kit are insane and probably one of the reasons those Technical Touch kits work so well. Something like that can totally change the way your bike handles and steers.
jeffro503
4/20/2019 8:54pm
jeffro503 wrote:
NeedMoto wrote:
No reason at all that you need those lugs that come with the kit. I'll take them off your hands, and won't even charge you:whistle: All...

blaze 57 wrote:
Those lugs that come with the KYB kit are insane and probably one of the reasons those Technical Touch kits work so well. Something like that...
Those lugs that come with the KYB kit are insane and probably one of the reasons those Technical Touch kits work so well. Something like that can totally change the way your bike handles and steers.
What is the difference between the stock lugs on my forks , compared to the ones that would come with the KYB kit? I honestly had no idea the kit even came with those until today. Slightly different offset or something?
mx317
4/21/2019 5:16am
NeedMoto wrote:

blaze 57 wrote:
Those lugs that come with the KYB kit are insane and probably one of the reasons those Technical Touch kits work so well. Something like that...
jeffro503 wrote:
What is the difference between the stock lugs on my forks , compared to the ones that would come with the KYB kit? I honestly had...
What is the difference between the stock lugs on my forks , compared to the ones that would come with the KYB kit? I honestly had no idea the kit even came with those until today. Slightly different offset or something?
I think it is because of the bottoming cones that come with the lugs. Also the ones that used the stock lugs had to machine something either on the stock lugs or make some sort of adaptor. I haven't did it myself, but have read several threads where some people did it themselves.
dmm698
4/23/2019 8:46am
jeffro503 wrote:
AT 1500$ for a set of inserts, why dont you just buy the complete KYB SSS forks from my 13 YZ I have for sale for 550$ shipped to your door Jeffro? Have somebody install them in your tubes, or buy a set of KYB KTM lugs and mount them. Seems like a much cheaper solution? You could probably sell off the upper and lower tubes for 200 bucks and end up with cartridges for 350 bucks....?
Flipsid33
4/24/2019 9:42am
Debating what to do with the forks on my '19 KTM 450 SXF. The stock AER forks work good in some areas and leaves a lot...

Thoughts?

The biggest issue with the 19 AER fork is the change to the negative air chamber. They decreased the volume of the chamber so you can run a higher pressure more effectively. It doesn't work. Most of our riders and customers were happier with the older version.

If you revalve the fork the negative air chamber remains the same. I feel that the settings in the damper side to the fork are decent. With the exception of the mid valve having no float they are probably one of the better setups. The switched the bleed from the rebound side to the compression side of the midvalve.

Fork plushness I would recommend the AER Leaf spring mid-valve and the 18 negative chamber parts.

For a super confident and light front end convert them to the Lucky system. Best conversion for the price and it is really good now.

I like the Sphere over the KYB setup for sure.

We have done tons of all 4 setups and have many hours testing and racing.
atrdrvr7
4/24/2019 4:26pm
Flipsid33 wrote:
The biggest issue with the 19 AER fork is the change to the negative air chamber. They decreased the volume of the chamber so you can...
The biggest issue with the 19 AER fork is the change to the negative air chamber. They decreased the volume of the chamber so you can run a higher pressure more effectively. It doesn't work. Most of our riders and customers were happier with the older version.

If you revalve the fork the negative air chamber remains the same. I feel that the settings in the damper side to the fork are decent. With the exception of the mid valve having no float they are probably one of the better setups. The switched the bleed from the rebound side to the compression side of the midvalve.

Fork plushness I would recommend the AER Leaf spring mid-valve and the 18 negative chamber parts.

For a super confident and light front end convert them to the Lucky system. Best conversion for the price and it is really good now.

I felt this way from the vey beginning of owning my 19 450 sxf with the new AER's. Whatever they did the fork is for the worse this year. I was really comfortable on my 17' AER's. I was never in love with them but could easily live with them. My 19's just suck, and I have been chasing my arse trying to find a good setting. I just picked up a set of Ohlins RFX 48's. I'll report back when I get a ride on them.
Braaaphole
4/24/2019 5:40pm
Mine are at Powerband getting revalved right now. 17 version, he's upgrading the piston and some other internal parts. Looking forward to riding when I get them back, I just couldn't find a setting I was really happy with on them before. They were decent, but not anything to be excited about.
blaze 57
4/24/2019 5:57pm
Flipsid33 wrote:
The biggest issue with the 19 AER fork is the change to the negative air chamber. They decreased the volume of the chamber so you can...

atrdrvr7 wrote:
I felt this way from the vey beginning of owning my 19 450 sxf with the new AER's. Whatever they did the fork is for the...
I felt this way from the vey beginning of owning my 19 450 sxf with the new AER's. Whatever they did the fork is for the worse this year. I was really comfortable on my 17' AER's. I was never in love with them but could easily live with them. My 19's just suck, and I have been chasing my arse trying to find a good setting. I just picked up a set of Ohlins RFX 48's. I'll report back when I get a ride on them.
The 19' has a way stiffer frame than the 17 or 18. That is going to give a lot more feedback and make the suspension seem even worse.
ChubbyCat113
4/24/2019 7:02pm
I second the MX Tech Lucky system! I had Corey at ProTune Suspension do it for me. I've only got 2 rides on it and can already tell a huge difference. It's a good system and cost effective. I think MX Tech is running a good special right now too....

Post a reply to: Revalved AER vs alternatives

The Latest