Replace shock seals with oil change?

Pirate421
My YZ250 only has 15 hrs on it but it’s dead of winter so I figure I’ll knock out the first suspension service now.

I’m pretty sure all my shock needs is fresh oil. After looking through manual and watching some online videos, should I replace the seals if they still look ok? It wouldn’t be a problem but I’ll have to grind of that peened nut and then replace the seal assembly which I don’t mind doing but that’s another $50 worth of parts.

I’m notorious for replacing parts way before their service life is up so if I can save some labor and cash this go around that would work for me.
|
BR8ES
1/9/2019 5:59pm
Not at 15 hours, maybe the next service.
lumpy790
1/10/2019 8:26am
by doing regular shock fluid changes it will keep the suspension performance up & the fluid will help lubricate the seal head.
1/10/2019 10:22am
The seals and bushings are probably still good. You can get the individual parts from KYB, much cheaper than the whole seal head.
Pirate421
1/10/2019 11:54am
Thanks for the replies I’ll go with an oil change and an inspection this time and look for more in depth service next 20hrs or so.

The Shop

DaveJ
1/12/2019 9:18am
Pirate421 wrote:
My YZ250 only has 15 hrs on it but it’s dead of winter so I figure I’ll knock out the first suspension service now. I’m pretty...
My YZ250 only has 15 hrs on it but it’s dead of winter so I figure I’ll knock out the first suspension service now.

I’m pretty sure all my shock needs is fresh oil. After looking through manual and watching some online videos, should I replace the seals if they still look ok? It wouldn’t be a problem but I’ll have to grind of that peened nut and then replace the seal assembly which I don’t mind doing but that’s another $50 worth of parts.

I’m notorious for replacing parts way before their service life is up so if I can save some labor and cash this go around that would work for me.
Shock?

At 15 hours you don't need to do anything.

Forks, yes. But not the shock.

The shock is a sealed pressurized unit with no metal to metal wear taking place (unlike a fork that has a metal spring in it).

About the only thing you need to do with a shock between major service intervals is to just top it off and verify the pressure.

Now...that said, if you're racing for the championship or doing a lot of really hard core MX, it never hurts to make sure that everything on a bike is 100%. It's all about time and money and a level of perfection.

That said, shock seals can last a very very long time.
KDXGarage
1/13/2019 1:40pm
Hey, look! It's DaveJ. Smile

You can get the individual parts. There's no need to replace the whole seal head. It is rebuildable.

You can buy a new KYB made nut as well.

Race Tech sells the tools you can use to work on your shock.

Also, look into the DRC oil cup and adapter. I bought one, but have not used it yet on my YZ250.

Post a reply to: Replace shock seals with oil change?

The Latest