Removing oil stains from motor cases?

Alec138
Edited Date/Time 9/21/2018 11:03am
How do I go about removing this stain off the side of my motor? Working on cleaning it up to get ready to sell and that looks like utter trash. No. It does not leak! It did and it has now been fixed with a new seal and gasket behind the powervalve cover. I dont have a dremel with a buffing wheel or anything to “really” take the stain off for real. So what else would work? Have not tried anything yet but wanting ideas before I go spending money on cleaners, etc. Anything around the house work? Like simple green and a wire bruh maybe? Thanks!

|
kb228
9/14/2018 2:31am
First and foremost keeping the bike clean in the first place helps a lot.

I suggest you actually go buy a dremel with little scotch brite wheels and do it that way. Maybe do the entire motor. Dawn dish soap is probably your best bet. Purple power and awesome cleaner are also good.
9/14/2018 4:10am
Is it possible to vapor blast the whole engine by only plugging the admission and exhaust ports?
Alec138
9/14/2018 4:10am
kb228 wrote:
First and foremost keeping the bike clean in the first place helps a lot. I suggest you actually go buy a dremel with little scotch brite...

I suggest you actually go buy a dremel with little scotch brite wheels and do it that way. Maybe do the entire motor. Dawn dish soap is probably your best bet. Purple power and awesome cleaner are also good.
I wash it after every ride pretty well. The dirt stains is what im after as the car wash pressure washer wand kinda “sucks”. Ill try dawn. Anything else cleaner wise at walmart?

The Shop

Tryhard
9/14/2018 4:59am
Spray some shout on it , let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes then hand clean with scotch rite and or tooth brush.
kb228
9/14/2018 5:05am
Aquafresh wrote:
Is it possible to vapor blast the whole engine by only plugging the admission and exhaust ports?
My vapor guy didnt even entertain that idea when i asked. Even if the engine was plugged it would eat the gaskets he said. Not a good idea.
kb228
9/14/2018 5:12am
kb228 wrote:
First and foremost keeping the bike clean in the first place helps a lot. I suggest you actually go buy a dremel with little scotch brite...

Alec138 wrote:
I wash it after every ride pretty well. The dirt stains is what im after as the car wash pressure washer wand kinda “sucks”. Ill try...
I wash it after every ride pretty well. The dirt stains is what im after as the car wash pressure washer wand kinda “sucks”. Ill try dawn. Anything else cleaner wise at walmart?
Shout works pretty good. Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner works really good too.
Alec138
9/14/2018 5:34am
kb228 wrote:

Alec138 wrote:
I wash it after every ride pretty well. The dirt stains is what im after as the car wash pressure washer wand kinda “sucks”. Ill try...
kb228 wrote:
Cool ill try shout 1st. I hear it works AMAZING as a bike cleaner anyways. Thanks
CSAR FE
9/14/2018 5:52am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2018 5:52am
Eagle 1 Mag or Aluminum cleaner and a scotchbrite pad.
kb228
9/14/2018 5:54am
Alec138 wrote:
kb228 wrote:
Alec138 wrote:
Cool ill try shout 1st. I hear it works AMAZING as a bike cleaner anyways. Thanks
Ive had better results with dawn than shout. Both are good dont get me wrong but dawn for some reason is a little better.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
9/18/2018 1:22pm
Purple power and a scrub brush, then eagle one mag cleaner. Don’t let either of them sit too long because the will etch the aluminum. Spray,scrub, rinse. It will take some elbow grease.

Also take off that brake lever and anything else anodized, both of these chemicals will ruin the finish.
kpersonius264
Fantasy
3579th
9/18/2018 1:25pm

I used that process on my 125 engine and it came out pretty good imo
Alec138
9/19/2018 9:12am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/09/18/288126/s1200_3D22DEDD_9E6B_43FD_A2F9_6390871B2429.jpg[/img] I used that process on my 125 engine and it came out pretty good imo

I used that process on my 125 engine and it came out pretty good imo
I ended up getting Super Clean Degreaser from the auto parts store yesterday. Still have to get sos pads from dollar store and get at it. I made a similar post on TT and most people said the degreaser would work good and not mess the aluminum up. You spray the degreaser on dry then scrub and rinse. Will take elbow grease but it will look better...
Tracktor
9/20/2018 10:18am
Napa Alumibrite & pressure washer. Works perfect for this. Only downside is it will strip finish off off steel bolts. But will get those cases looking a treat...........
Alec138
9/20/2018 10:22am
Tracktor wrote:
Napa Alumibrite & pressure washer. Works perfect for this. Only downside is it will strip finish off off steel bolts. But will get those cases looking...
Napa Alumibrite & pressure washer. Works perfect for this. Only downside is it will strip finish off off steel bolts. But will get those cases looking a treat...........
Not using any of those types of cleaners. Changed my mind and am going to use simple green and sos pads as it will not pit the aluminum cases or cause any problems like acid aluminum cleaners will. Ive heard a lot of bad stories about people ruining their cases with the stuff so i returned the super clean degreaser as its literally pure acid cleaner like purple power. Ive used simple green before on my other bikes without problems.
Alec138
9/20/2018 3:28pm
Much better by far given I didnt have time to take the pipe and

plate off.
Tracktor
9/21/2018 11:03am
Tracktor wrote:
Napa Alumibrite & pressure washer. Works perfect for this. Only downside is it will strip finish off off steel bolts. But will get those cases looking...
Alec138 wrote:
Not using any of those types of cleaners. Changed my mind and am going to use simple green and sos pads as it will not pit...
Not using any of those types of cleaners. Changed my mind and am going to use simple green and sos pads as it will not pit the aluminum cases or cause any problems like acid aluminum cleaners will. Ive heard a lot of bad stories about people ruining their cases with the stuff so i returned the super clean degreaser as its literally pure acid cleaner like purple power. Ive used simple green before on my other bikes without problems.
You would have to be a blatant idiot to ruin aluminum cases with mild acid cleaner. I have cleaned countless bikes with Alumibrite and never had any issue other than stripping plated fasteners. And the results are worlds better than scrubbing. Soda blasting is a close second that you can do with engine in bike.
Go to a marine store and look at aluminum hull cleaners. pretty much same acid and you can bet boats aren't suddenly sinking due to acid........do whatever you are comfortable with but don't buy the hype by internet morons......

Post a reply to: Removing oil stains from motor cases?

The Latest