Removing color off spokes and nipples

FarleyMX25
I recently purchased a bike that has a set of Kite hubs with black spokes and red nipples and really scratched black rims. I’m replacing the rims but I’m trying to save some money and get the black and red off the nipples. It’s in bad shape also. Any suggestions on how to go about that? I’ve read that easy off would work but some people say it’ll leave them black I just want them back to the original aluminum color.
|
Acidreamer
12/6/2017 4:12am
Depends on how their coated. To be totally honest, you would be happier with new spokes and nipples.

The reason i say that is because im 99% sure youre going to have seized nipples. The only way to get them off is with bolt cutters. You can try heat but ive never had luck with it.

Also the look of new spokes and nipples is way better than a stripped look after removing the color.
Whymee
12/6/2017 4:17am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2017 4:17am
I assume the spokes are powdered.

Try Aircraft stripper on the spokes. I have never tried to remove powder with stripper, but this is your best bet if you do not want to disturb the substrate.

If the nips are powdered see above.

If they are anodized, and if the spokes are being bullish with the stripper, use fine media in a blasting cabinet. Then use a brass wheel on the nipples to regain the stock finish. Either use the wheel on the spokes, or a fine steel wool. You can use the fine steel wool on the nips too. Although if they are spline drive it would be a PITA, hence the wheel method.
Team Ideal
12/6/2017 8:29am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2017 8:31am
pretty sure you can buy a full set of Moose stainless spokes for $70 plus or minus a little, you can get chrome ones even cheaper. you're going to have way more time in messing with these than it's worth
FiendzCC
12/6/2017 12:03pm
Team Ideal wrote:
pretty sure you can buy a full set of Moose stainless spokes for $70 plus or minus a little, you can get chrome ones even cheaper...
pretty sure you can buy a full set of Moose stainless spokes for $70 plus or minus a little, you can get chrome ones even cheaper. you're going to have way more time in messing with these than it's worth
Or you can get a good set of Excel spokes and nipples for a dollar less, and they're made in Japan rather than China.

Post a reply to: Removing color off spokes and nipples

The Latest