Remapped Vortex for my '19 FC350: DAMN.

erik_94COBRA
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2022 6:11pm
Have been reading/considering mods for my '19 Husqvarna FC350 for a couple of months. Put around 25 hours on the bike with no changes. The recipe that many have followed with good success was an exhaust, Vortex or remapped stock, intake changes (2-stroke filter cage, 2018 airboot, and vented airbox cover).

Sounds like a good strategy except I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend a grand or more with an unknown outcome. Lucked out and found a Vortex mapped for a 350 by Chad at XPR on eBay for a steal. Decided to pull the trigger on that knowing even if I had to have Twisted or another outfit remap I'd come out less than new.

Installed and did test ride near the house. Definitely felt different: light, snappy, revvy.

Two track days now and I can say I'd gladly spend the full asking price for a new one with a remap (XPR and Twisted both have good reviews).

My main impressions:
Reduced engine braking: more like a 2 stroke and had to return to using brakes
Throttle response: Hard to describe how much more responsive it is: barky, crisp, punchy, etc. Like a well jetted 2-stroke.
More torque at lower RPM and lower throttle openings: more like a 450 than before, but not overpowering like a hooked up 450.
Pulls harder in midrange: where before needed to really rev it out to get power. This bridges the gap (for me) between a 250 2-stroke and a 450.

XPR dyno'd an 8 HP and 5.5 ft-lb torque increase on their 350. Not sure about my particular bike and numbers, but my SOTP dyno agrees with the curve they show on IG. MUCH meatier midrange.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7KV-RJhf5B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So, if you're on the fence about a Vortex, I would advise jumping over. The 350 is almost perfect now.

ETA: the only other mods I have is the vented airbox cover and stock exhaust with conical baffle removed.
|
sandman768
9/9/2020 3:23pm
I have a 21 KTm350 sfx... With Akra slip on, 2t filter cage and 50-50 Sunoco 260GT fuel. Bike rips... great throttle response, rev”s & pulls forever... not sure how much different the maps are on the older 350”s but the bike is awesome. I was thinking about getting a remap but after pulling 4 great starts against 450”s last weekend, I may just leave it as is....
Bruce372
9/9/2020 6:10pm
Nice write up, its amazing what electronics can do... not only make more power, but actually change the handling of the bike through rideability
408Jeepster
9/11/2020 6:48am
I picked up a Vortex from XPR for my ‘20 FC350 and agree 100%. No more weird flameouts either. It’s plenty good stock but the Vortex just cleans it up everywhere.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
9/11/2020 9:14am
I am glad you’re happy with it! Like I said in my PM to you, it’s insane how much difference there is!

The Shop

captmoto
9/11/2020 10:33am
I am really happen with my stock ecu remapped by Twisted. I can't imagine what a Vortex would be like.
Bruce372
9/11/2020 3:29pm
What amazes me, or confuses me, is how wrong KTM can get the OEM ecu?
Its not they are getting it wrong, they have to compromise to meet all sorts of different geography, fuel types and all that.

Just like jetting on many bikes
erik_94COBRA
9/11/2020 3:38pm
What amazes me, or confuses me, is how wrong KTM can get the OEM ecu?
Bruce372 wrote:
Its not they are getting it wrong, they have to compromise to meet all sorts of different geography, fuel types and all that. Just like jetting...
Its not they are getting it wrong, they have to compromise to meet all sorts of different geography, fuel types and all that.

Just like jetting on many bikes
Agreed that it's major compromise. I'm surprised how much they left on the table too.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/11/2020 6:21pm
captmoto wrote:
I am really happen with my stock ecu remapped by Twisted. I can't imagine what a Vortex would be like.
Do they replace 1 of the stock maps and leave the other stock, or ? Can you choose which one they replace?
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
9/12/2020 9:17am
captmoto wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Do they replace 1 of the stock maps and leave the other stock, or ? Can you choose which one they replace?
I believe you end up with one map total.
captmoto
9/12/2020 2:13pm
FGR01 wrote:
Replaces map 1.
9/12/2020 5:51pm
Does anyone know if its better than a remapped stock ecu. I really don't care for the engine braking to much
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/12/2020 7:43pm
Does anyone know if its better than a remapped stock ecu. I really don't care for the engine braking to much
They can push the Vortex farther. I’ve ridden both on 2019 350 and preferred the Vortex.

Here’s a video from Twisted about the tuning
DaBaum44
10/31/2020 6:10pm
Agreed that it's major compromise. I'm surprised how much they left on the table too.
Can you or anyone on here educate me on how the Vortex works with the stock map selector switch on the handlebars? Just picked up a 2021 KTM 350 SX-F. Just curious if the stock map selector switch will still function?

Coming off a 2017 YZ250F with no map selector switch. The Vortex made a world of difference on that bike.
10/31/2020 6:29pm
I just put one on my 350 xcf, it is programmed by twisted, if I understand them correctly map 1 on selector switch is there map #1 on box, map 2 on switch is whatever map you want to set dial to on box and the traction control switch is map #3 on box, hopefully that helps
I'm super impressed with the ignition so far, the engine braking is massively reduced, I had a remapped stock ecu and the vortex works insanely good so far.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/1/2020 6:34am
I just put one on my 350 xcf, it is programmed by twisted, if I understand them correctly map 1 on selector switch is there map...
I just put one on my 350 xcf, it is programmed by twisted, if I understand them correctly map 1 on selector switch is there map #1 on box, map 2 on switch is whatever map you want to set dial to on box and the traction control switch is map #3 on box, hopefully that helps
I'm super impressed with the ignition so far, the engine braking is massively reduced, I had a remapped stock ecu and the vortex works insanely good so far.
So, the stock Traction Control function is lost then? What about the stock Launch Control? That is lost as well?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/1/2020 8:56pm
I just put one on my 350 xcf, it is programmed by twisted, if I understand them correctly map 1 on selector switch is there map...
FGR01 wrote:
So, the stock Traction Control function is lost then? What about the stock Launch Control? That is lost as well?
The TC button I believe just becomes “Map3” so if Twisted puts a Tc map there then it’s still TC.

When I did my Vortex with them I didn’t want TC so they gave me a variation of another map.

Yes I think launch mode is gone.
2/23/2022 7:30pm
Have been reading/considering mods for my '19 Husqvarna FC350 for a couple of months. Put around 25 hours on the bike with no changes. The recipe...
Have been reading/considering mods for my '19 Husqvarna FC350 for a couple of months. Put around 25 hours on the bike with no changes. The recipe that many have followed with good success was an exhaust, Vortex or remapped stock, intake changes (2-stroke filter cage, 2018 airboot, and vented airbox cover).

Sounds like a good strategy except I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend a grand or more with an unknown outcome. Lucked out and found a Vortex mapped for a 350 by Chad at XPR on eBay for a steal. Decided to pull the trigger on that knowing even if I had to have Twisted or another outfit remap I'd come out less than new.

Installed and did test ride near the house. Definitely felt different: light, snappy, revvy.

Two track days now and I can say I'd gladly spend the full asking price for a new one with a remap (XPR and Twisted both have good reviews).

My main impressions:
Throttle response: Hard to describe how much more responsive it is: barky, crisp, punchy, etc. Like a well jetted 2-stroke.
More torque at lower RPM and lower throttle openings: more like a 450 than before, but not overpowering like a hooked up 450.
Pulls harder in midrange: where before needed to really rev it out to get power. This bridges the gap (for me) between a 250 2-stroke and a 450.

XPR dyno'd an 8 HP and 5.5 ft-lb torque increase on their 350. Not sure about my particular bike and numbers, but my SOTP dyno agrees with the curve they show on IG. MUCH meatier midrange.

So, if you're on the fence about a Vortex, I would advise jumping over. The 350 is almost perfect now.

ETA: the only other mods I have is the vented airbox cover and stock exhaust with conical baffle removed.
Hey - I just got a 22 fc350 and apparently they are locked out- was looking at the forum about the exhaust baffle/options- and if I should just get an fmf pipe - but don’t know if it’s worth it without being able to remap the stock ECU- was wondering if you were interested in selling your stock 19 ECU???
If so -8602350116
erik_94COBRA
2/24/2022 2:05pm
Have been reading/considering mods for my '19 Husqvarna FC350 for a couple of months. Put around 25 hours on the bike with no changes. The recipe...

My main impressions:

Hey - I just got a 22 fc350 and apparently they are locked out- was looking at the forum about the exhaust baffle/options- and if I...
Hey - I just got a 22 fc350 and apparently they are locked out- was looking at the forum about the exhaust baffle/options- and if I should just get an fmf pipe - but don’t know if it’s worth it without being able to remap the stock ECU- was wondering if you were interested in selling your stock 19 ECU???
If so -8602350116
Exhaust will help a pretty good amount. I have a post CLICK HERE on my experience removing the exhaust baffle/cone.

I'd try that before spending money on an exhaust.

Not interested in selling my ECU, but there may be some on ebay.
wydopen
2/26/2022 8:33am
captmoto wrote:
Pump gas? Was thinking of getting my 17 fc350 stock ecu remapped. Yoshimura slip on and 2stroke filter cage. Did it lessen engine braking and make it rev more freely?
cclay47
2/28/2022 10:06pm
Good info on the thread. I’ve been considering a ECU on my 22 GG MC350 so I appreciate the insight. I’ve done the following which have woke it up considerably:
Akra slip on (runs good w/insert)
Two stroke cage
KTM vented air box cover
KTM map switch to run map 2

I would love to loose some of the engine breaking as I still ride a KTM250SX.
J-Mill
3/2/2022 4:09pm
captmoto wrote:
wydopen wrote:
Pump gas? Was thinking of getting my 17 fc350 stock ecu remapped. Yoshimura slip on and 2stroke filter cage. Did it lessen engine braking and make...
Pump gas? Was thinking of getting my 17 fc350 stock ecu remapped. Yoshimura slip on and 2stroke filter cage. Did it lessen engine braking and make it rev more freely?
I have a 2017 FC350. 2T filter cage, FMF slip on, T4 50:50 with pump gas and I had Twisted Development re-flash my stock ECU. Dude! It’s the deal…. A lot less engine braking, more power throughout the entire curve, way less stalling, etc etc. On my next bike I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a Vortex since the new ECUs are locked. I imagine that’s even better. Mapping makes a huge difference. Free’d up the chassis, no herky jerky down low, just more useable power.
wydopen
3/3/2022 4:36am
captmoto wrote:
wydopen wrote:
Pump gas? Was thinking of getting my 17 fc350 stock ecu remapped. Yoshimura slip on and 2stroke filter cage. Did it lessen engine braking and make...
J-Mill wrote:
I have a 2017 FC350. 2T filter cage, FMF slip on, T4 50:50 with pump gas and I had Twisted Development re-flash my stock ECU. Dude...
I have a 2017 FC350. 2T filter cage, FMF slip on, T4 50:50 with pump gas and I had Twisted Development re-flash my stock ECU. Dude! It’s the deal…. A lot less engine braking, more power throughout the entire curve, way less stalling, etc etc. On my next bike I’ll have to bite the bullet and buy a Vortex since the new ECUs are locked. I imagine that’s even better. Mapping makes a huge difference. Free’d up the chassis, no herky jerky down low, just more useable power.
Thanks definitely going to get it done. Threw away the lead the last 3 of 4 motos stalling..still not used to the hydraulic clutch..I figured out the starts finally but a big holeshot doesn’t do you much good if you stall it a few laps later. Tried bumping the idle but I didn’t like that..
J-Mill
3/3/2022 8:49am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2022 8:50am
wydopen wrote:
J-Mill wrote:
I have a 2017 FC350. 2T filter cage, FMF slip on, T4 50:50 with pump gas and I had Twisted Development re-flash my stock ECU. Dude...
wydopen wrote:
Thanks definitely going to get it done. Threw away the lead the last 3 of 4 motos stalling..still not used to the hydraulic clutch..I figured out...
Thanks definitely going to get it done. Threw away the lead the last 3 of 4 motos stalling..still not used to the hydraulic clutch..I figured out the starts finally but a big holeshot doesn’t do you much good if you stall it a few laps later. Tried bumping the idle but I didn’t like that..
Yeah after the re-flash you’d have to be blowing it pretty bad to stall it. I actually went from 14/52 gearing back to 14/51 and can still carry most corners (outside lines) in 3rd gear after the re-flash.
AgentOrange
Fantasy
1106th
3/3/2022 9:27am
I had my stock ECU remapped by Twisted as well, very happy and would recommend. Engine braking significantly reduced! My only gripe is, now I only have one map setting. Still have traction control, and launch mode, but no longer get to choose between map 1 or map 2 on the switch, they are both the same.
wydopen
3/3/2022 3:55pm
I had my stock ECU remapped by Twisted as well, very happy and would recommend. Engine braking significantly reduced! My only gripe is, now I only...
I had my stock ECU remapped by Twisted as well, very happy and would recommend. Engine braking significantly reduced! My only gripe is, now I only have one map setting. Still have traction control, and launch mode, but no longer get to choose between map 1 or map 2 on the switch, they are both the same.
I thought the twisted map just replaced map 1?
Chase_Dehart
3/4/2022 4:54am
J-Mill wrote:
wydopen wrote:
Thanks definitely going to get it done. Threw away the lead the last 3 of 4 motos stalling..still not used to the hydraulic clutch..I figured out...
J-Mill wrote:
Yeah after the re-flash you’d have to be blowing it pretty bad to stall it. I actually went from 14/52 gearing back to 14/51 and can...
Yeah after the re-flash you’d have to be blowing it pretty bad to stall it. I actually went from 14/52 gearing back to 14/51 and can still carry most corners (outside lines) in 3rd gear after the re-flash.
Sorry to hi-jack but did you prefer the 14/51 over the 14/52? I currently have 14/51 and been debating adding a tooth, i don’t mind it as is I’ve just heard a lot of recommendations to add a tooth. Also looking to re-flash my ecu soon, loving the 350’s though, such a good bike.
erik_94COBRA
3/4/2022 6:28am
I have been running 14/52 almost exclusively. 50 makes 3rd too tall in a lot of places. 51 is an improvement but 52 is much better, IMO.

An alternate might be to try 48 or 49 and moving everything down a gear: more second and third, less use of third and fourth.
J-Mill
3/4/2022 10:49pm
wydopen wrote:
J-Mill wrote:
Yeah after the re-flash you’d have to be blowing it pretty bad to stall it. I actually went from 14/52 gearing back to 14/51 and can...
Sorry to hi-jack but did you prefer the 14/51 over the 14/52? I currently have 14/51 and been debating adding a tooth, i don’t mind it...
Sorry to hi-jack but did you prefer the 14/51 over the 14/52? I currently have 14/51 and been debating adding a tooth, i don’t mind it as is I’ve just heard a lot of recommendations to add a tooth. Also looking to re-flash my ecu soon, loving the 350’s though, such a good bike.
Before the flash I liked the 14/52. After I had the ECU flashed I like 14/51 better because I had that sweet spot power for me with that gearing. I can ride most of the tracks in 3rd gear. 2nd gear is for inside ruts and I can short shift it coming out into 3rd and the motor pulls it. 14/52 I found myself having to hit 4th a lot which was kind of weird. Now I only hit 4th on the really wide open tracks or the occasion woods/desert ride where I try to keep shifting to 6th like I’m on an XC haha.

Post a reply to: Remapped Vortex for my '19 FC350: DAMN.

The Latest