Rebuilding a husky 85 2016

ktm-5
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2018 4:13pm
I'm rebuilding a 16 husky 85 for a friend and wondered if there were any tips or tricks? Besides a fly wheel puller is there anything else for special tools? I'm not asking about torque wrenches or anything just anything specific to this bike. I've done all of my sons bike work including the 16 250f so I have tools and knowledge just never worked on this bike. Also I have to do a topend on a 16 ktm 65 so if there's any advice for that too I'd truly appreciate it
|
ktm-5
7/16/2018 6:54pm
OK thank you and I should probably mention when I say rebuild I have to split the cases and replace the crank. I do have a tusk splitter and crank puller set so I'm hoping that will work on it
7/16/2018 8:59pm
ktm-5 wrote:
OK thank you and I should probably mention when I say rebuild I have to split the cases and replace the crank. I do have a...
OK thank you and I should probably mention when I say rebuild I have to split the cases and replace the crank. I do have a tusk splitter and crank puller set so I'm hoping that will work on it
The tusk crank puller is a must. I made a case splitter.
Tracktor
7/17/2018 3:45pm
Replace LH crank bearing with caged bearing and shim the crank for proper float.
DO NOT USE A HOT RODS CRANK. OEM with Pro-X rod is the way to go.
Vertex Piston.
Buy different base gaskets to set squish/deck height properly.

I have another post in here I think with more stuff..........

The Shop

ktm-5
7/17/2018 3:50pm
Tracktor wrote:
Replace LH crank bearing with caged bearing and shim the crank for proper float. DO NOT USE A HOT RODS CRANK. OEM with Pro-X rod is...
Replace LH crank bearing with caged bearing and shim the crank for proper float.
Vertex Piston.

Thank you for that info, I'll do a search later and see if I can find your post. I'm doing the rebuild for a single mom and I wanna make the bike good and reliable for her son, so thanks again. Do the crank bearings come with shims? And is there anything on how to shim the crank for proper float? Also any idea what the bearing number would be to replace left side and what is the reason for the replace?
ktm-5
7/17/2018 3:56pm
Also does the ktm 85 have the bearing you speak off? Are the 2 motors the same parts wise?
7/17/2018 5:35pm
Put the Nihilo crank stuffers in while the crank in being rebuilt. The Nihilo tool is pretty handy.
Tracktor
7/18/2018 2:18pm
Tracktor wrote:
Replace LH crank bearing with caged bearing and shim the crank for proper float. DO NOT USE A HOT RODS CRANK. OEM with Pro-X rod is...
Vertex Piston.

ktm-5 wrote:
Thank you for that info, I'll do a search later and see if I can find your post. I'm doing the rebuild for a single mom...
Thank you for that info, I'll do a search later and see if I can find your post. I'm doing the rebuild for a single mom and I wanna make the bike good and reliable for her son, so thanks again. Do the crank bearings come with shims? And is there anything on how to shim the crank for proper float? Also any idea what the bearing number would be to replace left side and what is the reason for the replace?
Search KTM talk for more shimming info.
I could never find ones to buy so cut my own out of shim stock
KTM Bearing # 0625062058

It's a 6205 C3 Tn9 rated bearing

The reason is crank float is the #1 reason for big end bearing failures on the 85's. The roller bearing on the LH side let's the crank float too far. A roller bearing holds better & then shimming is a step further for durability. I've done plenty without shimming with great results. Looking at crank will tell you if float was issue.
ktm-5
7/18/2018 3:23pm
Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, and the reason the rod bearing died was improper filter install. See pic. It's for a single mom who has her 15 son do the maintenance and while doing a 65 top end for her youngest son it too needs all new because of dirt. It looks like the original crank has no shims
7/19/2018 6:23pm
ktm-5 wrote:
Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, and the reason the rod bearing died was improper filter install. See pic. It's for a single mom who...
Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, and the reason the rod bearing died was improper filter install. See pic. It's for a single mom who has her 15 son do the maintenance and while doing a 65 top end for her youngest son it too needs all new because of dirt. It looks like the original crank has no shims
I have fixed several that looked just like that.
ktm-5
7/20/2018 8:03am
ktm-5 wrote:
Thanks for the info it's greatly appreciated, and the reason the rod bearing died was improper filter install. See pic. It's for a single mom who...
809 wrote:
Any idea of how exactly the filter is wrong?
7/20/2018 8:17am
ktm-5 wrote:
809 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Was wondering the same thing. Looks like the inside lip was in, which is usually the thing people mess up
Tracktor
7/20/2018 4:08pm
ktm-5 wrote:
809 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Yup, the cage was "clocked "incorrectly. very common mistake my kid has done it before & roached a bottom end. The cage only goes in one way - single pin on top and make sure the "lip" in back goes inside air boot. I recommend newbies or kids pop seat off to check it to be safe. Or reach hand behind to verify seated.........Shitty system.......
ktm-5
7/20/2018 4:13pm
809 wrote:
ktm-5 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
Yup, the cage was "clocked "incorrectly. very common mistake my kid has done it before & roached a bottom end. The cage only goes in one...
Yup, the cage was "clocked "incorrectly. very common mistake my kid has done it before & roached a bottom end. The cage only goes in one way - single pin on top and make sure the "lip" in back goes inside air boot. I recommend newbies or kids pop seat off to check it to be safe. Or reach hand behind to verify seated.........Shitty system.......
Thank u for that, I will be training her kids on how to do it properly....lol

Post a reply to: Rebuilding a husky 85 2016

The Latest