Re-applying graphics

This is a stretch but does anyone have any successful strategy for peeling off, adding something like spray adhesive, and re-applying an old graphic to a new plastic? Have a shroud that is cracked 100% across but the graphics is still all good. Getting one replacement graphic to match the rest of the bike just for the shrouds isn't an option. Any ideas or am I SOL?
|
kb228
12/16/2020 7:13am Edited Date/Time 12/16/2020 7:13am
Id be shocked if you could do that. Good graphics adhere so well you have to use heat to get them off. And when you do that theyll stretch/distort if you pull them off when hot. Thats assuming they dont tear or anything.

Hopefully someone has a way to preserve them but ive never had luck removing them in one piece.

Can you weld the plastic back together without it looking like a redneck hack job?
DynoDan22
12/16/2020 7:14am
3M "77" spray adhesive works well. I've used it on graphics that pull up and need tacked back down. I believe you can buy it at Lowes/Home Depo
12/16/2020 7:34am
kb228 wrote:
Id be shocked if you could do that. Good graphics adhere so well you have to use heat to get them off. And when you do...
Id be shocked if you could do that. Good graphics adhere so well you have to use heat to get them off. And when you do that theyll stretch/distort if you pull them off when hot. Thats assuming they dont tear or anything.

Hopefully someone has a way to preserve them but ive never had luck removing them in one piece.

Can you weld the plastic back together without it looking like a redneck hack job?
So this is a used, older Cobra 50cc I bought and there is a piece of the shroud missing that has cracked off. Looks like it was cracked and was held on by the graphic and then finally let loose or was pulled off. I was able to find a used shroud for that one side so my second option was to cut a piece out of that shroud and piece it together possibly? Just trying to put together option with best probability of success.
12/16/2020 9:21am
kb228 wrote:
Id be shocked if you could do that. Good graphics adhere so well you have to use heat to get them off. And when you do...

So this is a used, older Cobra 50cc I bought and there is a piece of the shroud missing that has cracked off. Looks like it...
So this is a used, older Cobra 50cc I bought and there is a piece of the shroud missing that has cracked off. Looks like it was cracked and was held on by the graphic and then finally let loose or was pulled off. I was able to find a used shroud for that one side so my second option was to cut a piece out of that shroud and piece it together possibly? Just trying to put together option with best probability of success.
I actually thought about suggestion some plastic welding. I think you'd have more success than re-applying a sticker but of course the plastic welding gets things awfully hot. That could cause damage too. Tough issue to solve man.

The Shop

AJ565
12/16/2020 12:41pm
I haven't done it with bike graphics, but I have removed decals from lots of things and depending on how well they are stuck on there sometimes if they are really cold (like almost frozen) the glue gets hard and peels right off plastics without damage. I feel at this point you have nothing to lose so I'd throw it in the freezer for half hour or so and see if you can peel it off in one piece. When it warms back up to room temp the glue "should" be sticky like new.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/16/2020 1:19pm
Your adhesive is cooked, so you will definitely need at least a "refresher" of spray adhesive. The hardest part will be removing the graphic without stretching it too much, as noted above. I would recommend "pushing" it off with a plastic squeege, as opposed to pulling it off with your hands. get a corner to pull up and then wedge a window tint tool or an old credit card underneath to split the graphic away from the plastic. I would definitely do this while the graphic is warm. Hot, even.

Post a reply to: Re-applying graphics

The Latest